E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine ticking noise help!

02-20-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
CrazyCarMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i e90 LCI

Engine ticking noise help!

Hey guys,

I'm looking for guidance and help with this ticking noise I am suddenly getting. I have some ideas as to what this engine ticking noise may be, but honestly I'm kinda lost and I have no idea where to start.
I posted a video on youtube in hopes to get some help too.
I'm hoping some of you guys may have experienced this before and can pinpoint or advise me where to start and what to look for.
I truly don't want to start swapping or replacing parts because of the "it might be". The video of the actual noise I am experiencing is about 3 mins and it starts from a cold start. I do have to say this noise does not go away and it’s permanent.
Please go to minute 3:05 to hear the noise and skip the whole explanation. I'm hoping some of you guys can relate.
Please let me know what you guys think the noise may be .
Thank you.

PS: Although I do have a Youtube channel to help our community; I created this post to get some advice and help. I By no means created this post to get some views from you guys. I genuinely would love some guidance from some of you Pro's at this.
Again, you can just go to min 3:05 to hear the ticking/ knocking sound.
Please don't delete.

https://youtu.be/eEIpWReSJKo
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarMods View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking for guidance and help with this ticking noise I am suddenly getting. I have some ideas as to what this engine ticking noise may be, but honestly I'm kinda lost and I have no idea where to start.
I posted a video on youtube in hopes to get some help too.
I'm hoping some of you guys may have experienced this before and can pinpoint or advise me where to start and what to look for.
I truly don't want to start swapping or replacing parts because of the "it might be". The video of the actual noise I am experiencing is about 3 mins and it starts from a cold start. I do have to say this noise does not go away and it's permanent.
Please go to minute 3:05 to hear the noise and skip the whole explanation. I'm hoping some of you guys can relate.
Please let me know what you guys think the noise may be .
Thank you.

PS: Although I do have a Youtube channel to help our community; I created this post to get some advice and help. I By no means created this post to get some views from you guys. I genuinely would love some guidance from some of you Pro's at this.
Again, you can just go to min 3:05 to hear the ticking/ knocking sound.
Please don't delete.

https://youtu.be/eEIpWReSJKo
Hard to say, but sounds like a noisy injector. What index are your injectors ? Any signs of them leaking? (Long cranks, wet plugs, running rich etc).
      02-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
drymite
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i/06 323i/09 323i/07 335

Does sound like a noisey injector but i also kinda hear a knocking sound. It seems to be rpm dependent. I once had a misfire the sounded like a knock and once the rod bearings were done. Check out the oil filter do you see any metal shavings?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 12:30 AM   #4
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Check for a blown injector seal. The small black one.
      02-22-2022, 12:00 AM   #5
CrazyCarMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Hard to say, but sounds like a noisy injector. What index are your injectors ? Any signs of them leaking? (Long cranks, wet plugs, running rich etc).
Im running index 11's. And now that you mentioned "Long cranks" I did notice a slightly longer crank, But I thought that was from having the car parked for 3 weeks without turning it on (which was when i recorded the video).
Today I literally thought, I had to charge the battery or give it some power; but to my surprise the car cranked up the same way (as if was running out of battery). Which know it can make more sense that it may be the injectors.
So the question is how or why would the injector tick / knock / or rattle? what can cause this? Can a leaky injector cause this noise?
Also how can I test if I have a bad injector? Will a leaky injector be noticible if I run some logs or check my air to fuel ratio?
You mentioned wet plugs: What I will be looking for will be wetness of fuel on the plug and plug smelling like fuel? any additional pointers?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions brother, but I have never experienced this type of citation before, so I am lost.
Please guys feel free to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 12:05 AM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Im running index 11's. And now that you mentioned "Long cranks" I did notice a slightly longer crank, But I thought that was from having the car parked for 3 weeks without turning it on (which was when i recorded the video).
Today I literally thought, I had to charge the battery or give it some power; but to my surprise the car cranked up the same way (as if was running out of battery). Which know it can make more sense that it may be the injectors.
So the question is how or why would the injector tick / knock / or rattle? what can cause this? Can a leaky injector cause this noise?
Also how can I test if I have a bad injector? Will a leaky injector be noticible if I run some logs or check my air to fuel ratio?
You mentioned wet plugs: What I will be looking for will be wetness of fuel on the plug and plug smelling like fuel? any additional pointers?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions brother, but I have never experienced this type of citation before, so I am lost.
Please guys feel free to chime in.
Not exactly sure what causes the sound. Could be seals I'm not sure.
To check if you have an leaky injector you must park the car overnight. The next morning WITHOUT STARTING THE CAR pull the spark plugs out to see if they are wet or smell like fresh fuel.
      02-22-2022, 12:45 AM   #7
CrazyCarMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drymite View Post
Does sound like a noisey injector but i also kinda hear a knocking sound. It seems to be rpm dependent. I once had a misfire the sounded like a knock and once the rod bearings were done. Check out the oil filter do you see any metal shavings?
Today when I turned on the car I noticed that the noise changed. It wasn't as loud as when I recored the footage, I mean the noise was still really loud but not exactly the same (it was just a tiny bit different). I also went over the noise again to try to pin point the area where it was coming from, and the sound is predominant by the top of the engine. Idk this also indicates what you guys are telling me (injectors). But thank you for the suggestion on the oil filter. definitely a good way to know if there is any issues internally. I didn't think of that.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2022, 12:47 AM   #8
CrazyCarMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _N54 View Post
Check for a blown injector seal. The small black one.
Sure will brother thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:29 PM   #9
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Sure will brother thanks
Have you figured out what caused the noise?
      03-16-2023, 11:56 AM   #10
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

If you ruled out a dead battery I'd bet it's an injector or two going bad. Wet spark plugs would be a good clue. Maybe he will response with a discovery.
Appreciate 0