E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Windshield replacement

06-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #1
titaniume91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon

Windshield replacement

So the windshield on my '11 E91 has seen better days and I would love to replace it with a brand new, crystal clear one. Any recommendations? Just use safelight? I'd love to spend as little as possible, it doesn't need to be a full Pilkington replacement (I honestly don't know what safelight uses, maybe they do). I got a quote back at $376 without insurance for the economy install. Was actually lower than I anticipated it being.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I have read some terrible reviews for Safelite, I had a local vendor install an aftermarket windshield for $350 and I’ve been happy with it. They came to my house and installed it within an hour. I’d look up vendors online and read the reviews.
      09-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #3
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniume91 View Post
So the windshield on my '11 E91 has seen better days and I would love to replace it with a brand new, crystal clear one. Any recommendations? Just use safelight? I'd love to spend as little as possible, it doesn't need to be a full Pilkington replacement (I honestly don't know what safelight uses, maybe they do). I got a quote back at $376 without insurance for the economy install. Was actually lower than I anticipated it being.

Go with Pilkington or Saint-Gobain!

I went with Safelitet a while back with my E92. Asked them what type of glass they were going to use, and they played dumb. Told them I wanted Pilkington or Saint-Gobain, and they had me wait so they could "special order it"... Because they likely would have just given me the Chinese glass (which is likely how they make most of their profit); I think it's called 'Fuayo'. Needless to say, I wouldn't trust that on my car. Plus I remember reading of some people complaining of issues with their windshield sensor.

Anyway, my 2 cents
  1. Get the good glass (don't trust cheap Chinese glass).
  2. Have the work done somewhere warrantied, like BMW or Safelite. That way if there's an issue, you can have it repaired.

Side note: My buddy just bought a 2022 M340xi, and got a windshield crack in the first 3 months. BMW told him not to go to Safelite because the sensors by the rear view mirror need to be calibrated or something like that. So he goes through BMW, they "replace it", he gets the car back, and it's not sealed properly, so it whistles on the highway. He takes it back to BMW the next day, and they say they have to wait for the technician who installed it to come back the following week. So wherever you go, make sure it's reputable and warrantied!
      09-01-2022, 10:50 AM   #4
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I have read some terrible reviews for Safelite, I had a local vendor install an aftermarket windshield for $350 and I’ve been happy with it. They came to my house and installed it within an hour. I’d look up vendors online and read the reviews.
+1 to tcphoto recommendation ^: check local shop reviews and visually inspect glass before installation.

I personally prefer Pilkington, but this year got TriVal for $270 installed on E90 (should be a Pilkington brand) - very happy with both glass quality and installer's attention to details.
      02-19-2023, 02:33 PM   #5
casdm9901
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi Touring

Garage List
Quote:
It’s the original glass with no cracks/chips? If so if I were you I’d find a place that could give it a good restore.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
That's a fair price, but you need to buy the upper windsheild molding and the lower trim piece yourself because they will not use these. They'll use a generic molding up top that they cut to size, which gives you wind noise and they leave the bottom piece off, which means your cowl won't seal against the windshield and water will come in. Been there, done that, as have many others on here.

Last I heard, Pilkington was the only company that made glass for these cars so it will likely be a Pilkington but without the BMW logo. Both parts you need from FCP will be like $40 total. If you get those too then I'd say go for it.
Appreciate 0