E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Replacing the fuel breather pipe

04-17-2020, 01:26 AM   #23
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue335d View Post
Guys I just wanted to give my two cents on this.

I decided to save myself a few hundred and went in under the rear seat with a 30mm holesaw. It worked out nicely and taking my time measuring took about 2 hours to get the new pipe and protective sheath installed.

Im just waiting on a few grommets coming to plug the holes.

The way I looked at it it's my car I can drill holes where I like.
Old thread. Just thought I'd let people know the hole drilling method above works a treat. You can do it with just the hole on the side (lower hole in the photos). Slide a screwdriver in and push on the white clip. Pull the pipe out at the same time, from under the wheel arch liner.

It's an easy job. 1 hour max. Seriously no point in dropping the tank. I drilled a 20mm hole and that was enough to get the screw driver in to depress the white clip and lever
Thinking about exploring this. Is there a telltale way, without pulling it completely apart that you can tell it's this besides just the smell (ie fuel regulator and charcoal canister also have same symptoms)?

Also for the hole, just the side hole on the passenger rear area is good (you said about 20mm)? Was there any fear of cutting anything wrong along the way and what of the debris cleanup?

Was it easy to reconnect the hose afterwards? Were long-noses pliers the order of the day?

Would a simple tape-off be a resolution or is it only a whole piping replacement that works?
I got the tell tale puddle of fuel left by the wheel arch after filling the tank and leaving the car. It got quite bad.

I did actually drill the 2 holes but I'm sure you could do it with just the one on the vertical part of the seat bodywork.

To release it you need a long narrow flat head screwdriver through the hole and pry out the white plastic from the connector. You then lever out the connector whilst pulling the other end of the pipe from the wheel arch.

It may be stuck on a bit, you just keep pulling and levering and eventually it comes off. Pull the pipe out from the wheel arch.

You can repair the pipe by plastic welding or maybe some export stuff. I replaced it though. Then duck tape and then another extenders corrugated plastic pipe on-top (bmw has it own part number for this, but it literally is just a piece of black flexible cable management tubing I think.

The other end of the pipe is easy to take off fro under the wheel arch liner. Just squeeze and pull.

To fit the new/repaired pipe you need to line it up as before. You then push hard from the wheel arch end whilst levering the connector in place until the white clip clicks into place. You can see the white clip physically click into place also.

I've filled the holes with grommets. I used a hole drill bit so all I got was a little disc back. Hoovered up the little pieces.
I dig the grommets, where did you source those?

I'm going to pull the wheel liner this weekend. Figure I'd be able to at least see if it's frayed when I take a look at the hole area.
I got them from a local hardware store. You can get them from eBay though.

You won't be able to see the damaged area. The damage is almost always on the side next to the tank (under the rear seat).

Unless you have visible fuel leaking out when the tank is full, I wouldn't worry.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #24
bmwrepairguide
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, E36, E9x

Excellent write up! Very detailed and thorough... much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:30 AM   #25
JonathanC
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i se pre lci

Quote:
Old thread. Just thought I’d let people know the hole drilling method above works a treat. You can do it with just the hole on the side (lower hole in the photos). Slide a screwdriver in and push on the white clip. Pull the pipe out at the same time, from under the wheel arch liner.

It’s an easy job. 1 hour max. Seriously no point in dropping the tank. I drilled a 20mm hole and that was enough to get the screw driver in to depress the white clip and lever
Did you remove the old pipe via the holes you drilled? 20mm doesn't seem large enough. I've got mine disconnected but can't feed it back out through the wheel arch.

Edit: now sorted. 44mm hole on the side to feed the hose through. On my 06 330i saloon there was no chance of taking the hose out through the wheel well or feeding the new one in. The fuel tank connector with the white tab is just too big. A 44mm hole was barely enough.

Anyway a big thanks for sharing more success with the "drill some holes" method. I'm not sure I'd have tried without that. Looking forward to filling the tank up to the top!

Last edited by JonathanC; 05-08-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 06:27 PM   #26
XCT
Romania
Rep
Drives: E90 318i M pack

i finished this job, i drilled a 44mm hole on the side as people above, i could have gotten away with a smaller hole but bigger hole makes the repair easier.. The pipe can be inserted from the wheel arch side. I recommend using an oil change latex glove so u dont push dirt in the pipe. Always buy the protection tube too ( 16124390434 ) if you replace the pipe ( 16126765748 ). For the clip i have removed from the bottom i needed a thin flat head screw driver. It is easier to remove the top part first. The top part i pressed to unclip but it needed to be twisted too. then you can twist the whole pipe to adjust the lower clip so u can remove it easier. After all this i found out my old pipe was not the problem. it might be the pump too. check first the it is actually the pipe. My leak is from from the nipple connection itself, it looks like someone changed the pipe but yanked the nipple and made a leak in its seal or the design is very bad, as the nipple is set to an angle and the pipe pushes against the chassis and the fuel tank, over time the nipple connection with the fuel tank fails and the pipe gets cut. i will try glazing with the soldering iron and cover with POXILINA for additional sealing strength.
For rust and fuel protection i recommend grunding, painting and acrylic clear coat.
I managed to find on ebay 43-46mm grommets to cap off the holes.

After resolving the issue, it turn out the problem for slicing the pipe, caused the nipple seal to crack at the connection with the fuel tank. Its the angle that the connection comes at. it was half broken leaking fuel from there. The fuel tank vonnection was probably designed by someone withouth a hole sense if you know what i mean. It looks like the fuel tank is made of usual polyethilene and nothing sticks to it. I repaired it with soldering iron where i could reach and a screwdriver heated with a blow torch in harder to access areas. The fuel tank might have a 3mm thickness, i did not go beyond 1mm to get a good bond.
Attached Images

Last edited by XCT; 04-04-2022 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 06:27 PM   #27
XCT
Romania
Rep

it failed again,
cracked in the same spot after driving on some touges with the reservoir full.

the permanent solution seems to make the breather hose hole larger and more to the right as it constantly presses on that plastic fitting from the reservoir.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:41 PM   #28
NjPrince
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp

Instructions: Take apart entire interior and exterior
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #29
XCT
Romania
Rep

for the interior, the bench has 2 clips near the front of the bench, you just pull on it, the side door trim has 4 clips, you should be able to unclip them by bending the trim a bit and sliding, for the exterior you only have to remove the wheel and clips for the wheel arch to be able to get it out of the way.

as for the update i bent the tube with a heatgun, checked the bend with water to see if it has holes and hope for the best
Attached Images

Last edited by XCT; 10-27-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0