E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hood gap issues - need advice

05-24-2020, 01:05 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Hood gap issues - need advice

My car got back from the body shop from hitting a deer (they replaced hood basically) and I'm really OCD so I like to take time and get the panel gaps just a smidge better.

Now my hood to fender panel gap is on point but the height between the 2 is not good. The hood is lower than the fenders. But I had to make the hood "sit" lower with messing with latches and bump stops so that the panel gap between hood and bumper doesn't look out of place. If I do the opposite and place hood as high as fender then the front bumper to hood gap looks like if my hood is not latched properly.

So I'm just not sure how I could adjust this more here? Should I unbolt the hood and move the whole hood around? Can you make the bumper sit higher? I played with the top bumper bolts but all I can really do is move it into the engine bay or out, not vertically up.

Can anyone check if on their hood between the fender and hood, one is either higher or lower than the other? Maybe I'm just asking for something that isn't possible and never noticed before.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:39 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Bumpers sag. Very noticeable on LCI. Especially e92 and e93. Align the hood with the fenders. Then remove the bumper screws that fasten it to the fenders and also those from the bottom splash shield. Get the bumper to sit up (I sometimes had to use washers as spacers between the bumper and support) and fasten it. Then reinstall the other screws. The support is also adjustable but you need to remove the bumper completely to do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Bumpers sag. Very noticeable on LCI. Especially e92 and e93. Align the hood with the fenders. Then remove the bumper screws that fasten it to the fenders and also those from the bottom splash shield. Get the bumper to sit up (I sometimes had to use washers as spacers between the bumper and support) and fasten it. Then reinstall the other screws. The support is also adjustable but you need to remove the bumper completely to do that.
So removing the side bumper bolts under wheel arch should allow the bumper to sit higher if I keep it up while tightening them back in?

And the washers I assume you would put them up top on the 4 black bolts right?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Body shop issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
So removing the side bumper bolts under wheel arch should allow the bumper to sit higher if I keep it up while tightening them back in?

And the washers I assume you would put them up top on the 4 black bolts right?
It will be easier to pull it up, and washers go under the bumper, as I said, spacer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Mine sags as well. There's a decent gap between my grille and hood. I've tried pulling it up a few times but didn't get good results. I gave up and just live with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
My car got back from the body shop from hitting a deer (they replaced hood basically) and I'm really OCD so I like to take time and get the panel gaps just a smidge better.

Now my hood to fender panel gap is on point but the height between the 2 is not good. The hood is lower than the fenders. But I had to make the hood "sit" lower with messing with latches and bump stops so that the panel gap between hood and bumper doesn't look out of place. If I do the opposite and place hood as high as fender then the front bumper to hood gap looks like if my hood is not latched properly.

So I'm just not sure how I could adjust this more here? Should I unbolt the hood and move the whole hood around? Can you make the bumper sit higher? I played with the top bumper bolts but all I can really do is move it into the engine bay or out, not vertically up.

Can anyone check if on their hood between the fender and hood, one is either higher or lower than the other? Maybe I'm just asking for something that isn't possible and never noticed before.
Why don't you make the body shop fix it??
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It will be easier to pull it up, and washers go under the bumper, as I said, spacer.
Ok I'll try to see if I can push it up. I really just thought the side screws were for alignment with headlights and side fender. I rather not use washers unless it's the only way.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Why don't you make the body shop fix it??
My bumper wasn't with them. I asked them to align the hood to fender only.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok re positioned it and only had 4 washers added 2 on each top bolt ends but still not enough. The gap looks so wacky. I'll run down to the store and add a lot more I think.

I just don't understand, before they replaced my hood it was perfect yet the hood perfectly aligns with every other panel now.

Maybe my bumper sagged because it was off that car the whole ~ 2 weeks? I was re-doing my lip so kept it with me.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

do you have an aftermarket hood or aftermarket bumper?

U also said this happened after u hit a deer. Well if the bumper is original and hood is original. There may be a slight chance the frame got somehow bend ( or pushed in) , not by much but enough to create a bigger than normal gap

The way I see it in the picture is the fenders align perfect, so moving the front of the hood up will misaligned the fenders...

Have you talk to the bodyshop at all , they should be able to check if there is some type of frame damage in the front.

Lastly , have you check the alignment of the bumper , lifting the front bumper a little more should not affect the alignment of the fenders with the hood, and the gap will be gone

It doesnt look bad...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
do you have an aftermarket hood or aftermarket bumper?

U also said this happened after u hit a deer. Well if the bumper is original and hood is original. There may be a slight chance the frame got somehow bend ( or pushed in) , not by much but enough to create a bigger than normal gap

The way I see it in the picture is the fenders align perfect, so moving the front of the hood up will misaligned the fenders...

Have you talk to the bodyshop at all , they should be able to check if there is some type of frame damage in the front.

Lastly , have you check the alignment of the bumper , lifting the front bumper a little more should not affect the alignment of the fenders with the hood, and the gap will be gone

It doesnt look bad...
I hit the deer in December and my hood was just fixed last week. If frame would be bend wouldn't the gap be much more apparent before the fix and while my dented hood was on? Also the hit was around 60km/h (37 miles per hour)

I actually just got into ANOTHER damn accident... someone changed into my lane on the highway so going back at the body shop to fix the rear quarter. I'll talk to them about it again now that I've had time to play with it and have made zero success in getting bumper closer. I really do think they did a great job with the hood alignment so maybe my rad support or frame has something?

Exactly yeah everything seems to line perfect, I'll just try to lift the bumper with washers at the top 4 black bolts. Not much else I can do to lift it up I've moved the bumper all around and it can't go higher than this naturally without adding washers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #13
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I hit the deer in December and my hood was just fixed last week. If frame would be bend wouldn't the gap be much more apparent before the fix and while my dented hood was on? Also the hit was around 60km/h (37 miles per hour)

I actually just got into ANOTHER damn accident... someone changed into my lane on the highway so going back at the body shop to fix the rear quarter. I'll talk to them about it again now that I've had time to play with it and have made zero success in getting bumper closer. I really do think they did a great job with the hood alignment so maybe my rad support or frame has something?

Exactly yeah everything seems to line perfect, I'll just try to lift the bumper with washers at the top 4 black bolts. Not much else I can do to lift it up I've moved the bumper all around and it can't go higher than this naturally without adding washers.
there is not way you could see the gap with a dented hood. Maybe it was like that after the accident but u just never noticed it since the original hood was all dented.

Maybe the frame is not really the problem but something around radiator area is a little bit out of position . 60 km is by no means a light hit...

I got rear ended at 40km and it destroyed the bar behind my rear bumper. It just looked like small damage but once they removed the rear bumper and took all the carpet from the trunk , you could see the extend of the damage
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

From the posted photo seem like the hood need to go lower a little bit as it appears to be higher than the left fender. The radiator support is sitting on studs but the openings are slotted (like the strut tower) and allow for alignment
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
From the posted photo seem like the hood need to go lower a little bit as it appears to be higher than the left fender. The radiator support is sitting on studs but the openings are slotted (like the strut tower) and allow for alignment
Honnestly as it is, hood to fenders and headlight right now are pretty much perfect. I played with the bump stops and latches to get the hood to close perfectly flush with the fenders and for the latching to be smooth.

So you're saying I should move the radiator support around if the washers don't work?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
there is not way you could see the gap with a dented hood. Maybe it was like that after the accident but u just never noticed it since the original hood was all dented.

Maybe the frame is not really the problem but something around radiator area is a little bit out of position . 60 km is by no means a light hit...

I got rear ended at 40km and it destroyed the bar behind my rear bumper. It just looked like small damage but once they removed the rear bumper and took all the carpet from the trunk , you could see the extend of the damage
I'll play with washers if results are trash I'll ask them if they can fix it and look further into it. Maybe something is bad under.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honnestly as it is, hood to fenders and headlight right now are pretty much perfect. I played with the bump stops and latches to get the hood to close perfectly flush with the fenders and for the latching to be smooth.

So you're saying I should move the radiator support around if the washers don't work?
Yes, radiator support is aluminum fused with plastic. So not the strongest thing. Its position can be adjusted on the two main pillars and the 10mm bolts above the headlight.
Also, don’t know if you know but the latches on the hood are adjustable too. Remove the screw on plastic trim and rotate to adjust.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, radiator support is aluminum fused with plastic. So not the strongest thing. Its position can be adjusted on the two main pillars and the 10mm bolts above the headlight.
Also, don’t know if you know but the latches on the hood are adjustable too. Remove the screw on plastic trim and rotate to adjust.
Alright gave it another go and it's still kinda meh, added 4 washers on 4 top bolts. And yeah that's what I meant for the latches.

Oh ok I'll look at adjustment of that. Maybe it's just shifted when the collision happened.

EDIT: Is this the core support? https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-panel/FeK6CP9

Based on that I'm not sure how I can raise it higher?

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 05-28-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Honestly I think I give up. I'm going to request the body shop to do it and see what they do I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #20
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Honestly I think I give up. I'm going to request the body shop to do it and see what they do I guess.
Have a look at this:

I’m still wrestling with major gaps on my carbon hood. I have washers under the 4 top screws but they don’t do anything lol. I’m going to try messing with some of the stuff that guy did.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #21
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Loosen up the 4 x 10mm bolt on the support above the headlights and push the support in towards the engine. That will bring the bumper in and little up to close in that gap.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Loosen up the 4 x 10mm bolt on the support above the headlights and push the support in towards the engine. That will bring the bumper in and little up to close in that gap.
Ah ok gotcha. Gave it a try but unfortunately didn't do much.

I have a feeling the way the hood is mounted is just like to high. I'll talk about it to them. It's hard to adjust the hood alone at the point where it bolts to the moving hing and frankly I have no idea how to move it. I tried it before trying the other methods and like, I don't know it just doesn't move in the way I want it to.
Appreciate 0