E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > How to reset adaptions in ISTA D

07-30-2016, 05:38 AM   #1
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

How to reset adaptions in ISTA D

So after my other thread, about what diagnostic software to get, I got the laptop package off eBay. Comes with ista d, ediabas, and some other stuff I've never heard of for like $300

I quickly glanced over the manual, but haven't had time to devote to reading everything.

So could someone maybe point me in the right direction? At this point all I want to do is reset adaptions for my MAF, and for the transmission.

In my quick attempt yesterday, I could not see any option for resetting the adaptions.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

E90 FRM module is very prone to failures. As such you must assure that you maintain 14v to all the control units.

You've got to run full diagnostics first. It will pull codes etc. then you can go and narrow it down. I would do screen shots for you but I'm on Europe right now.

Last edited by Yozh; 07-30-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, thanks Yozh!

I have a trickle charger on the car now, but that won't be able to keep the battery above 14v. Do I run any risks just putting a full blown charger on the 2 jumper posts under the hood?

Yeah I first hooked it up, I ran the search for vehicle function, and it started doing a full diagnostics and it was taking forever! I was worried about the battery draining, so I aborted the session.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Yes, always connect a good charger, turn off your lights, heated seats, blower and other big power sinks.
The FRM is a ticking time bomb. Even with a good charger connected there is a very small risk that it'll corrupt it's EEprom when asked for it's DTCs and never communicate again. I'd suggest updating it to the latest firmware with WinKFP or go to a dealer and have it updated. Meanwhile they should know about the problem.

You have done the correct first step: Turn on ignition, Go to Operations, change to tab "Read Out Vehicle Data" and then klick "Complete identification". It'll take forever (about 3 min). All green modules in the ECU tree are good, yellow ones have faults set, red ones don't communicate.
In order to reset adaptions, change to tab "Vehicle management" in the first row, "Service function" in the second row, Then click "Power train", "Digitial Diesel Electronics (US version), then "adaptations". After CBU cleaning you want to do "Air mass flow sensor", "Increment wheel", "injectors", "mean quantity adaptions". Can't hurt to do "Rail pressure regulating valve" as well.

Note, that resetting "Increment wheel" adaptions might not work due to specific versions of ISTAP and you DDE SW, some others might not work due to a cheaper cable.

For the TCU go back to "Undo All", then "Power train", "transmission control", "Adjustment", "Resetting adaption functions".

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Mik325tds; 07-31-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Exclamation FRM problems

Oh yes, and if by any chance your FRM goes to Lala-Land, shoot me a PM. I now have a loaner FRM (thanks to 9mmkungfu) that I can send out to get you back up and running.
You'll notice that your FRM is gone, when your car will turn on the headlights by itself and you have no control over windows, interior lighting and turn signals.

Last edited by Mik325tds; 07-30-2016 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
9mmkungfu198.00
      07-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome, thank you soooo much guys!

Will report back.... hopefully with success
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, I have no idea if I actually reset anything, but I did find the adaptations section thanks Mik325tds.
Ok 3 min isn't that long, I just didn't realize that it was done reading when all of the modules were displayed.
On resetting the adaptations: once I go in there, and let's say click on 'mass flow', is that all I needed to do? Or is there another step that I am not seeing? If I am correct that all you need to do is click on it. Is that just giving the dde a code of some sort to reset and learn once the vehicle is drivin within the adaptation parameters? Just wondering cause all that shows up on the right hand screen is almost like a file location in steps.
Sorry for the stupid questions, I am no computer nut, and when I was working for Ducati as a tec, their diag software was stupid easy and almost stupid proof. This software seems like I could do a lot of things and screw them up in the process
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
Ok, I have no idea if I actually reset anything, but I did find the adaptations section thanks Mik325tds.
Ok 3 min isn't that long, I just didn't realize that it was done reading when all of the modules were displayed.
On resetting the adaptations: once I go in there, and let's say click on 'mass flow', is that all I needed to do? Or is there another step that I am not seeing? If I am correct that all you need to do is click on it. Is that just giving the dde a code of some sort to reset and learn once the vehicle is drivin within the adaptation parameters? Just wondering cause all that shows up on the right hand screen is almost like a file location in steps.
Sorry for the stupid questions, I am no computer nut, and when I was working for Ducati as a tec, their diag software was stupid easy and almost stupid proof. This software seems like I could do a lot of things and screw them up in the process
Not quite done yet. Once you highlight "Air mass flow sensor", click on "Start search" on the bottom right. The next screen shows you two options:
"ABL Mass Meter"
"FUB DDE adaptations"
If you click on Filters on the bottom you'll notice that "ABL" means "Procedure" and "FUB" Functional descriptions.
Anyway, in order to reset your Mass meter adaptations, you have to double click "ABL Mass meter" which isn't really intuitive since everything else in Rheingold is single click. It'll walk you through the reset procedure after that. Basically, you have to highlight an option and then click "Next". If you don't mind, please post your adaptation values before resetting. Mine are always 0.0. I wonder if they are different with anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep

Where do I see the adaption values? Is it after you click 'start search'?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where do I see the adaption values? Is it after you click 'start search'?
No. After you double click on the ABL Mass meter.
Just click around a little. In ISTA-D you can't really do anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I had success yesterday, thanks again Mik325tds!

So I just reset the MAF and my transmission.

I never had the mass quantity/injector adaptations reset after my cbu cleaning. I have had no issues with the car at all. Do you think it would be wise to reset those also?

Btw, my MAF #"s were "0,0"
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #12
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I had success yesterday, thanks again Mik325tds!

So I just reset the MAF and my transmission.

I never had the mass quantity/injector adaptations reset after my cbu cleaning. I have had no issues with the car at all. Do you think it would be wise to reset those also?

Btw, my MAF #"s were "0,0"
Interesting with the MAF #. I wonder if that is just reporting wrong or if the adaptation is 0,0 if everything is ok.
Can't hurt to do the zero quantity and mean quantity adaptations as well. Mine got really smooth in idle after doing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #13
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Which cable do you guys use that allows access to all options within ista?
I for example cannot reset any of my adaptations.

I also was not able to communicate to the fuel pump module EKP to do the bleeding, even though on the main map of all modules the EKP was green.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #14
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dirtg View Post
Which cable do you guys use that allows access to all options within ista?
I for example cannot reset any of my adaptations.

I also was not able to communicate to the fuel pump module EKP to do the bleeding, even though on the main map of all modules the EKP was green.
The guys in the coding section of this forum swear by this cable:
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16
But it won't reset the increment wheel adaptions on mine either. If you want to get serious about flashing and diagnostics or have some loose dollars you might want to consider buying an ICOM A2. Working copies start at around $250.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
My MAF value before reset was also 0.0, Mik
I'm about to reset my adapations and I think I found exactly what I need. Can anyone confirm? Pic is useful because the wording in the program is a little different than the advice. I was lost for a few while trying to figure it out.

Appreciate 1
koden6.00
      05-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
I learned one more useful tip. If you don't want to deal with any of this, you can just disconnect the battery for 3 days and all adaptations will reset.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Although I think you would need to have a newer software integration to get the increment wheel adaptation to work after CBU, no?
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      05-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Blown284
Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudZ View Post
I learned one more useful tip. If you don't want to deal with any of this, you can just disconnect the battery for 3 days and all adaptations will reset.
3 days? 3 days specifically or possibly 2 or 1 day?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
HudZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by octalon7 View Post
Although I think you would need to have a newer software integration to get the increment wheel adaptation to work after CBU, no?
Yea I read somewhere that incremental wheel is a software update, so it wouldn't be for everyone's car. At least those that never got the software updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown284 View Post
3 days? 3 days specifically or possibly 2 or 1 day?
Not sure, 3 is what I was told. It does seem unreasonably long, but that all depends on how much capacitance exists without a battery and what the draw is from the DDE is with the car off. I was just passing the tip along from the BMW diesel Facebook group.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #20
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudZ View Post
Yea I read somewhere that incremental wheel is a software update, so it wouldn't be for everyone's car. At least those that never got the software updates.

Not sure, 3 is what I was told. It does seem unreasonably long, but that all depends on how much capacitance exists without a battery and what the draw is from the DDE is with the car off. I was just passing the tip along from the BMW diesel Facebook group.

Could we bleed off the caps faster by touching battery leads after disconnecting, and get the adaptations right away?

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #21
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I just walnut blasted and cleaned my intake and I am getting code 4B06 for injector 4 zero adaptations. I will take a look and see if I have ISTA and if I have all the adaptation resets available.

That being said, does anyone know if resetting without the incremental wheel causes any issues? My car is the 2010 model year, so I probably don't have that specific software version. Any advice is appreciated. If nobody is sure, then I might be forced to go to the dealer for the software update.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #22
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Sorry to ask a possibly stupid question.... But I do not have a good charger, just a Noco 3.5A Charger. Is it safe to have the engine running when you reset the adaptations? Usually when I reset my error codes I have the engine running without issues. But i'm not so sure about adaptations.

Thanks.

Found the answer to my question: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577760 at post #20. Engine cannot be running when resetting adaptations.

Last edited by Xerix; 06-01-2018 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Found the answer to my question
Appreciate 0