E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What is up with the MAF sensor connector?

07-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
blueloco
Private
Rep
Drives: 325xi

What is up with the MAF sensor connector?

So I experienced some rough running and loss of power and went through the normal diagnostics to find the cause. They main issue I found was in intake hose wasn't quite right on the filter box and was letting air through. Easy fix.

Then the fuel trims... sitting -10LF and in the negatives for short term... so... Reset adaptations and went right back to negatives.

Long story short I found several mentions of the MAF sensor connector needing cleaned. So I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and short term immediately went positive. long term trims are slowly adapting back and are at -6 in both banks after about 60 miles of driving. Looks good.

But my question is what the hell is going on with the connector? It was clean, no moisture, in tight, everything looks good. Is it the coating on the pins oxidizing over time? Dissimilar metal? Too small?

This seems like it could be one of those phantom problems that screws with peoples rides just enough to be a nuisance but not trigger a code. Also I am guessing if this is as common as I am thinking a lot of people probably installed $400 sensors they didn't need too. Seems like as these cars age the lead free ROHS electrical parts are just going to continue to haunt. Blower motor still needs replaced; waiting for my second letter. On the plus side I just got a notice that the sensor mat in the passenger seat is now warrantied for 15 years... woohoo.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Any chance the MAF sensor retaining clip was broken on your car? My theory is the retaining clip typically break, the missing clip material now makes it easier for moisture to get into the connections. The extra moisture causes come corrosion, which is what leads to the connectivity issues you experienced. I was someone who was plagued with CEL lights, when ultimately it was just the stupid connectors!
Appreciate 0