E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Vessel: Hojin - Voyage #45 - ETA Port Hueneme April 25th

04-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #45
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 MB SL63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3 View Post
Thanks for the estimates spn!

Instead of doing all the dots at once, you should have made a new post every day, with a new dot added each day. Just so we have something to get excited about
LOL. I know. I thought that, too. We do need some little piece of news everyday to satisfy our addiction, well, my addiction anyways, as we wait out this part of the tracking.

I intended on posting a very cool link this morning that shows what these cars look like as they are tied down inside the ship. It is amazing how close together they pack them into these ships, and on numerous levels of the ship, too. Someone, somehow got to go onto a ship once and take photos and they posted them on this particular web site (of the link I wanted to post this morning), but that web site is down today! I was disappointed. This particular web site is up and down all the time, but it is very cool when you do get to see the photos this guy took onboard the ship. It is of all these BMWs as they are in transport. Here is the link anyways. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised and it will come up sometime this week (something to look forward to :-))

http://www.offworld.com/e46/images.html
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #46
garyc242
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92

Cool! Thanks for the updates. My car is on the HOJIN.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #47
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyc242 View Post
Cool! Thanks for the updates. My car is on the HOJIN.
Hi Gary. That's great!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #48
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3 View Post
Thanks for the estimates spn!

Instead of doing all the dots at once, you should have made a new post every day, with a new dot added each day. Just so we have something to get excited about
Hey JO3! I've got an idea for you! Print the map out and at the start of each of those days, cross one of those dates off the map. It will be like one of those Christmas (er, I mean "holiday") countdown calendars. You can start by crossing 4/7 off already!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #49
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

JO3-you can cross 4/08 off the map. By midnight tonight, she should reach the 4/09 spot.

If you want to see some nice "real" sailwx tracking, check out the "Vessel Don Juan" thread, or go here and zoom out a few times:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=SGIX

This is tracking for the ship Don Juan. Sometimes the bridge of Don Juan is calling in weather observations up to three times a day. This ship has a nice sailwx plot map going from the English Channel to Nova Scotia. After Nova Scotia, "he" will head to the PanCanal then Port Hueneme.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #50
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

OK, times are desperate for some tracking. We might have a live ship to track tomorrow on sailwx.info. She is a ship full of BMWs and she is trailing Hojin to Port Hueneme. It is the Wallenius Lines Ship Carmen and she is just now leaving the English Channel tonight. She actually departed Bremerhaven on the same day as Hojin, on 4/3, but I think she has since stopped in Zeebrugge, Belgium and I know she just departed Southampton this afternoon. Even though she is currently two days behind Hojin, she is due into Port Hueneme one day after Hojin, so they are going to be close in their journey. I checked Carmen's sailwx reporting history and her staff reports weather observations on sailwx a lot! WWLines' ships are good about reporting, so I think (HOPE) that tomorrow we will be able to track her (they usually don't start reporting their weather observations until they get out into the Atlantic Ocean) on sailwx and know she is trailing Hojin by two days. I don't see her on the Boyd's PanCanal schedule, yet. I know she is going to stop in the port of Manzanillo (according to one of the AIS radar sites), which is the port at the entrance to the PanCanal. She is tentatively due into Manzanillo (PanCanal) on 4/19, again two days after Hojin.

There might be a tracking thread for Carmen started on this forum soon, once people find that their cars are on Carmen. If so, people who have a car on Carmen can check the WWLines web site (you need to enter your car's VIN #) and they will be able to see her exact schedule and they can post it on their thread. Then we will know when she is due into Manzanillo and actually know how far behind she is from Hojin.

So, let's hope she shows up sailwx tomorrow so we can track her. For now, I am posting her AIS radar screenshot as she is about to leave the English Channel tonight. She is a little to the right and to the bottom of the map.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #51
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I am disappointed that neither Hojin or Carmen have appeared on sailwx.info, but I still have hope for Carmen. She has a good reporting record. So, stay tuned. It really will be exciting when Hojin reaches the PanCanal!

JO3-cross another day off your map! :
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #52
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

is there a chance it will be in Los Angeles before the 25th? That's what my dealer had the date scheduled at
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #53
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
is there a chance it will be in Los Angeles before the 25th? That's what my dealer had the date scheduled at
I am sure she will arrive at the port of LA on April 25, which is her scheduled date to arrive at the port of LA, and then arrive at port Hueneme on April 26, which is her scheduled date to arrive at PH. Mercedes Benz's vehicle prep center (VPC) is at the port of LA (Carson); BMW's VPC is at port Hueneme (Oxnard). Hojin is carrying both Mercedes and BMWs (literally thousands of them). These ships are usually on schedule (occasionally they are off by one day, though, so things could change). But, here is the process, so you understand what happens once she reaches the Panama Canal region.

Hojin is due at the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal on April 17th. And, barring any really bad weather or other problems, she will make it on that date.

She is scheduled to transit the canal on April 21st, meaning it will be her turn to pass through the 51 miles of the canal system. But that is a ridiculously long time to wait in the Panama Canal region for no reason, from April 17 to April 21. Time is money. So, these ships usually transit earlier than their scheduled transit time. Presumably, she will show up at the PanCanal on April 17 as scheduled, but these super vessels never go through the canal the same day they arrive. They only start their passage through the canal system early in the morning, so that means the very earliest Hojin will start through the canal is April 18. It takes all day to go through the 51 miles of the canal system. So, if she starts at 7 a.m. (PST) on the Atlantic Ocean side, she will finish her passage on the Pacific Ocean side just before dinnertime. From there, it takes six to seven days to reach SoCal. So, if everything goes well, and she leaves the Pacific side of the PanCanal on April 18, add six to seven days to that and that will give you her arrival date at the port of LA (her first stop). Most likely they will stick to their schedules of the port of LA on April 25 and port Hueneme on April 26.

Attached is a graphic of the PanCanal system. A lot of people don't really know what the canal system looks like (I didn't) and this helps understand the lock system and what ships go through during those 51 miles. I will post this again as she gets closer to the PanCanal, but we will be able to watch her go through the Panama Canal on web cameras at the Gatun Locks, then watch her pass under the Centennial Bridge, and then watch her go through the final lock system, which is the Mira Flores Locks.

FYI-here are the schedules. You can keep an eye on them for changes.

PanCanal
http://www.boydsteamship.com/daily_traffic_report.htm

Port Hueneme
http://www.portofhueneme.org/documen...0404065403.pdf

Port of LA
You have to pay to see it. I have a subscription, but I can only see five days out. The dbhlogistics web site shows 4/25, as does the Mercedes Benz computer shows 4/25, so I am confident she is scheduled to arrive at the port of LA on 4/25.

Here is the link to the PanCanal web cameras. Take a look when you get a chance. It is better to see them during the daytime hours:
http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #54
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That very cool web site that shows pics of the inside of a BMW vehicle carrying ship is back up! Take a look before it goes down again. . .

http://www.offworld.com/e46/images.html
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #55
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

She should be about half way across the Atlantic Ocean now. This is an excruciatingly painful wait. . .
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #56
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport View Post
Thanks so much for tracking the ship and keeping us updated. Just wanted to say that my CA told me it should be at Huenme on the 22nd alredy!
We can hope. The PH schedule still shows the 26th but I have seen that schedule change by one day, both early and late, a number of times. I have been kind of wondering if the weather out in the Atlantic is relatively good and ships are moving along fairly quickly, as there aren't a lot of them reporting on sailwx.info, which is where they are to report weather conditions. Don Juan isn't reporting and Carmen isn't reporting. It is like there is really nothing for them to report, weather-wise. But that is just a thought. (I actually checked the PanCanal AIS for her this morning, just in case she was in the region, but that is really a dream. She wasn't there. I will keep watching, though.)

Usually, we know more than what the CAs know, but I am open for some hopeful news! Once she starts transiting the canal, we will have a better idea of her arrival in SoCal, as most times it takes six days (sometimes seven) from the Pacific achorage of the canal to SoCal.

And, at this time, she's scheduled to stop at the port of LA first (Sorry, she has to drop off my car first. )
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #57
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

damn it i can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #58
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Any updates? Anxious like HELL. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #59
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

Any updates? Anxious like HELL. Thanks.
Nothing really new, but Hojin should be getting very close to the Panama Canal. She's due into the PanCanal region at 5:00 am on Thu 4/17. So, essentially just a little more than 24 hours away. I am glad we have finally reached this part of the trip! Waiting out her two weeks on the Atlantic has been tough. I have been watching the Panama Canal AIS radar throughout the day and night, but it looks like she will reach the PanCanal in the early morning hours PST on Thurs when we are all asleep.

The Panama Canal seems to have a backlog of ships. Maersk Wind and Madame Butterfly are going to be late going into PH. We will have to watch Camellia Ace (arrived today) and Don Juan (due anytime) to see how their transit schedule plays out. Hojin might have to wait 2-3 days before transiting the canal. She isn't due into LA until 4/25 and PH on 4/26. It takes 6-7 days for the ship to reach SoCal once they exit the canal, so if she transits the canal on/before Sat 4/19, she could still reach the port of LA on time.

Boyd's schedule currently shows her transiting on 4/20, but that isn't set in stone. She is not officially booked to transit the canal, yet. They should set that schedule soon. I hope it is 4/19 or sooner, just to keep her close to her original schedule.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #60
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Boyd's PanCanal schedule dated today shows that Hojin is still due into PanCanal anchorage @ 5:00 am on 4/17. And ,it also shows she's not only booked to transit the canal on 4/18, but the schedule also shows he's transiting on 4/18. I hope she sticks to this schedule!

I am watching AIS radar for her arrival into the PanCanal region.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #61
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

hmm, so is the estimated arrival date for the LA port due on the 25th? how does that look? Everything on time? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #62
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
hmm, so is the estimated arrival date for the LA port due on the 25th? how does that look? Everything on time? thanks.
There is no sign of her tonight, yet, on the AIS radar. She's due into the PanCanal anchorage in the night (actually at 5:00 am Thu morning).

The ETA for Hojin into the port of LA is 4/25 and PH is 4/26. This has not changed from the start. Some of the ships are running late going through the Panama Canal, though, and I don't know if Hojin is going to get delayed down there, too. The latest schedule shows Hojin transiting the canal on the 18th. If you add 6-7 days passage up to SoCal, that puts her on schedule into LA. We are going to have to wait and see if she gets hung up in the PanCanal region. Let's hope not. . .
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #63
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hojin is at the Atlantic Anchorage of the Panama Canal. We will have to wait and see what Boyd's posts today for her schedule. Hopefully she will transit the canal tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #64
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hojin's arrow on the AIS map is now yellow, which means she's stopped or traveling less than .5 knots. Now, we will have to wait and see what Boyd's shows when they post their new schedule today. They haven't updated it yet today. Hopefully Hojin will transit the canal tomorrow. If she transits tomorrow, it will take 6-7 days to get to SoCal. She is currently due into the port of LA on 4/25 and port Hueneme on 4/26.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #65
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Boyd's now says she will transit tomorrow AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #66
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hojin is still sitting in the outer bay. She dropped off the Boyd's Panama Canal schedule dated today, but I think she will transit tomorrow. Let's all hope.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0