E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Reading Battery Class in ediabas

03-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep
Drives: e46

Question Reading Battery Class in ediabas

2006 320d. Looking into replacing my battery on my own. Currently there is an 80ah (lead-acid) battery installed. I need to verify which battery class is stored in the ECU, in the off chance the previous owner didn't have the battery coded and registered properly.

I am using the DeepOBD Android App successfully, and have the ability to use the ediabas tool through this awesome app. (Therefore I can easily run the battery registration Job when I put the new battery in.)

Using the DeepOBD App I can see into the .prg SGBD DME/DDE “D60M47A0” ECU for my motor. In this SGBD I have access to STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2, which is what I assume people are seeing into when using the INPA program-> E90->ENGINE->MSD80-> Status(F5)->PM-IBS->PM FIELD 2.

Inside this STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2 I have access to STAT_BATTERIE_KAPAZITAET_WERT (Value of the Battery Capacity) which produces a Real value of 80.0 I also have directly above that STAT_BATTERIE_KAPAZITAET_EINH (Einheit means units, for this value) which produces a string value of ‘ah’.

Am I correct to assume that these two values are telling me that the battery was correctly coded as “80ah” with the previous owner? -I don’t like to assume, yet I have twice in this post- If the car was (wrongly) coded as “80ah_agm”, then would STAT_BATTERIE_KAPAZITAET_EINH return a string value of ‘ah_agm’?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoBrown View Post
2006 320d. Looking into replacing my battery on my own. Currently there is an 80ah (lead-acid) battery installed. I need to verify which battery class is stored in the ECU, in the off chance the previous owner didn't have the battery coded and registered properly.

I am using the DeepOBD Android App successfully, and have the ability to use the ediabas tool through this awesome app. (Therefore I can easily run the battery registration Job when I put the new battery in.)

Using the DeepOBD App I can see into the .prg SGBD DME/DDE “D60M47A0” ECU for my motor. In this SGBD I have access to STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2, which is what I assume people are seeing into when using the INPA program-> E90->ENGINE->MSD80-> Status(F5)->PM-IBS->PM FIELD 2.

Inside this STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2 I have access to STAT_BATTERIE_KAPAZITAET_WERT (Value of the Battery Capacity) which produces a Real value of 80.0 I also have directly above that STAT_BATTERIE_KAPAZITAET_EINH (Einheit means units, for this value) which produces a string value of ‘ah’.

Am I correct to assume that these two values are telling me that the battery was correctly coded as “80ah” with the previous owner? -I don’t like to assume, yet I have twice in this post- If the car was (wrongly) coded as “80ah_agm”, then would STAT_BATTERIE_KAPAZITAET_EINH return a string value of ‘ah_agm’?
That's correct. If the battery was coded as AGM, then the capacity would be reported as 81 Ah instead.
      03-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
That's correct. If the battery was coded as AGM, then the capacity would be reported as 81 Ah instead.
Are there any other ediabas indicators or values to double check this, or is this the only one?

Why would INPA give more text clues such as "80ah" vs "80ah_agm" under the Batterie Klasse? Does INPA software automatically detect this 80 vs 81 value and convert it to more understandable human-interface text-based programming?

In summary:
If that the only ediabas indicator available, its either 80 or 81 returned from the Stat_Capacity_Value, and the 80 is lead-acid and the 81 is AGM?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are there any other ediabas indicators or values to double check this, or is this the only one?

Why would INPA give more text clues such as "80ah" vs "80ah_agm" under the Batterie Klasse? Does INPA software automatically detect this 80 vs 81 value and convert it to more understandable human-interface text-based programming?

In summary:
If that the only ediabas indicator available, its either 80 or 81 returned from the Stat_Capacity_Value, and the 80 is lead-acid and the 81 is AGM?
I don't know off hand if any other jobs return the same value, it's likely.

INPA displays the value verbatim. In this scenario, 80 (flooded) or 81 (AGM):
Code:
ergebnisAusgabeAnalog("Batterie Kapazität in Ah", "STAT_BATTERIE_KAPAZITAET_WERT", "7.2",10, 0, 0,25);
If you found this information useful, please click on the Appreciate button at the bottom of this post.
      03-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Smile

Greatly appreciate the feedback! 80 ah it is then.

While "I've got you on the line"....
You wouldn't happen to know the differences between?:
STAT_LADUNGSZUSTAND_AKTUELL (my current value is 0.0)
and
STAT_STARTFAEHIGKEITSGRENZE_AKTUELL (my current value is 30.1)

I have a new 80 ah battery on the way, but I want to understand these for confirmation of the new battery being in good function after installation and registration.

Bonus Question: Do you know the job name for my .prg group for the Diesel Particulate Filter Soot and/or Ash mass calculation/value?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Greatly appreciate the feedback! 80 ah it is then.

While "I've got you on the line"....
You wouldn't happen to know the differences between?:
STAT_LADUNGSZUSTAND_AKTUELL (my current value is 0.0)
and
STAT_STARTFAEHIGKEITSGRENZE_AKTUELL (my current value is 30.1)

I have a new 80 ah battery on the way, but I want to understand these for confirmation of the new battery being in good function after installation and registration.

Bonus Question: Do you know the job name for my .prg group for the Diesel Particulate Filter Soot and/or Ash mass calculation/value?
I have a different engine management module (e.g. MSD81), STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2 returns STAT_LADUNGSZUSTAND_AKTUELL_WERT and STAT_STARTFAEHIGKEITSGRENZE_AKTUELL_WERT.

STAT_LADUNGSZUSTAND_AKTUELL_WERT is the current charge state expressed as a percentage from 0 to 100 (86.32813%) and STAT_STARTFAEHIGKEITSGRENZE_AKTUELL_WERT is the current battery startability expressed as percentage from 0-100 (29.68750%):

I'm not familiar with your DDE, but typically the only DPF data reported is from the condition based service system. Look for a job like CBS_DATEN_LESEN. The result will be something like AVAI_CBS_WERT_CSF. It's the CBS value for the particle filter expressed as a percentage.
      03-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Thanks again for the help. When I pull AVAI_CBS_WERT_CSF, it returns 254.00
and should be a percentage unit. Not sure what to make of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again for the help. When I pull AVAI_CBS_WERT_CSF, it returns 254.00
and should be a percentage unit. Not sure what to make of that.
Which SGBD (.PRG) are you using to read your DDE values?

BTW, STAT_LADUNGSZUSTAND_AKTUELL works. I charged my battery while scanning PIDs for an hour or so today and the current charge state increased to 91.79688%
      03-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Never mind, I see that the SGBD is D60M47A0. With regards to the CBS_DATEN_LESEN result, my bad. The minimum and maximum percentages aren't specified:
Code:
		<RESULT>
			<RESULTNAME>AVAI_CBS_WERT_CSF</RESULTNAME>
			<RESULTTYPE>int</RESULTTYPE>
			<RESULTCOMMENT>Verfuegbarkeit CSF in %, fuer Pruefablauf Bandende</RESULTCOMMENT>
		</RESULT>
It looks like there are quite a few jobs related to the DPF...

STATUS_PARTIKELFILTER_VERBAUT
ABGLEICH_CSF_LESEN
ABGLEICH_CSF_PROG
ABGLEICH_CSF_LESEN_UB
ABGLEICH_CSF_PROG_UB

Hope that helps.
      03-13-2017, 02:23 AM   #10
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Never mind, I see that the SGBD is D60M47A0. With regards to the CBS_DATEN_LESEN result, my bad. The minimum and maximum percentages aren't specified:
Code:
		<RESULT>
			<RESULTCOMMENT>Verfuegbarkeit CSF in %, fuer Pruefablauf Bandende</RESULTCOMMENT>
		</RESULT>

ABGLEICH_CSF_LESEN
ABGLEICH_CSF_PROG
ABGLEICH_CSF_LESEN_UB
ABGLEICH_CSF_PROG_UB

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I don't see any of the ABGLEICH_CSF Jobs. What main group are these under in the DME?

I have been using STAT_REGENERATION_GESPERRT_WERT, STAT_REGENERATION_ANGEFORDERT_WERT, and STAT_REGENERATION_LAEUFT_WERT. These three are very helpful, but the Free version of Carly (when I can get it working) displays Ash and Soot mass values. I cannot tell if these are calculated (differential pressure across the DOF) or if it is a job.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Well I found the Abgleich jobs. Thanks! I've just got to see if I can pull these jobs out into my main value lists in the Deepobd app. Otherwise I have to run each job manually.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Code:
		<RESULT>
		</RESULT>

ABGLEICH_CSF_LESEN
ABGLEICH_CSF_PROG
ABGLEICH_CSF_LESEN_UB
ABGLEICH_CSF_PROG_UB

Hope that helps.
Well, I've written my own pages within DeepOBD. I've got my battery relevant values on a page, the DPF relevant data on another, a mix of Engine data on another, and the Restraint system on another.

Battery page looks good and is ready for me to install the new 80 ah battery this weekend. The DPF page looks good too, except for the Ash Mass reading. 412.00 is the returned values every day, with no variation. I believe if there were really 412 g of Ash, I would have a stuck DPF. I can't get Carly Lite to work any more, but the last Ash reading I got from it was 83.39g. Any Idea what might be causing this erroneous 412.00 reading?

Name:  Batt.png
Views: 3011
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  DPF.png
Views: 3105
Size:  93.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #13
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, I've written my own pages within DeepOBD. I've got my battery relevant values on a page, the DPF relevant data on another, a mix of Engine data on another, and the Restraint system on another.

Battery page looks good and is ready for me to install the new 80 ah battery this weekend. The DPF page looks good too, except for the Ash Mass reading. 412.00 is the returned values every day, with no variation. I believe if there were really 412 g of Ash, I would have a stuck DPF. I can't get Carly Lite to work any more, but the last Ash reading I got from it was 83.39g. Any Idea what might be causing this erroneous 412.00 reading?

Sorry, I have no idea why the Ash reading is off. I have found jobs in the past that are just "stubs" and instead of truly reading live data, they return fixed values. I've always assumed that it was functionality that they intended to implement but never completed.

Is ASME_WERT returning that value?

My only suggestion is to use a Keyword Protocol 2000 (KWP2000) Dynamically Defined Local Identifier (DDLI) instead.

Here is a spreadsheet I put together for you with all of the D60M47A0 DDLIs:
Download Link

Check out row 426, that one should work for you. If I'm not mistaken, you need to multiply the result by 0.01. In the case of your DDE, I believe you would use the STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN job to read the DDLI.
      03-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Sorry, I have no idea why the Ash reading is off. I have found jobs in the past that are just "stubs" and instead of truly reading live data, they return fixed values. I've always assumed that it was functionality that they intended to implement but never completed.

Is ASME_WERT returning that value?

My only suggestion is to use a Keyword Protocol 2000 (KWP2000) Dynamically Defined Local Identifier (DDLI) instead.

Here is a spreadsheet I put together for you with all of the D60M47A0 DDLIs:
Download Link

Check out row 426, that one should work for you. If I'm not mistaken, you need to multiply the result by 0.01. In the case of your DDE, I believe you would use the STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN job to read the DDLI.
Wow, thanks for the excel list. Do you also have a list for the normal Jobs in my DDE?

Yes, ASME_WERT is returning the constant 412.00

So the Job name is STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN, and the ARGUMENT to run is STAT_OELASCHENMASSE_WERT?

display name="!JOB#STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN#STAT_OELASCH ENMASSE_WERT retuned no value. Sure its the messwertblock?

Last edited by HugoCountsto7; 03-18-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #15
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the excel list. Do you also have a list for the normal Jobs in my DDE?

Yes, ASME_WERT is returning the constant 412.00

So the Job name is STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN, and the ARGUMENT to run is STAT_OELASCHENMASSE_WERT?

display name="!JOB#STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN#STAT_OELASCH ENMASSE_WERT retuned no value. Sure its the messwertblock?
You're welcome. Sure, here is a list of jobs for your DDE:
Download Link

Look up STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN in the XML file.

It looks like you have to pass two arguments, the mode and the messwert. I would try mode 2 and messwert 0x00D3.
      03-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
You're welcome. Sure, here is a list of jobs for your DDE:
Download Link

Look up STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN in the XML file.

It looks like you have to pass two arguments, the mode and the messwert. I would try mode 2 and messwert 0x00D3.
eeeeeee. I have no clue how to pass two arguments via coding in the App.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
eeeeeee. I have no clue how to pass two arguments via coding in the App.
https://ediabaslib.codeplex.com/wiki...ion#ExecuteJob
      03-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #18
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Quote:

Right, so I had that page and section open in another tab, but what I still don't understand is how to format passing mode 2. Not certain about the results request either.

new EdiabasJob("STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN", "MODE2;0x00D3", string.Empty)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #19
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Right, so I had that page and section open in another tab, but what I still don't understand is how to format passing mode 2. Not certain about the results request either.

new EdiabasJob("STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN", "MODE2;0x00D3", string.Empty)
The semicolon separated job arguments that I was suggesting would be "2;0x00D3"...new EdiabasJob("STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN", "2;0x00D3", string.Empty)

The proper DDLI could also be 0x19A0, you'll need to experiment.

I gather from the following page that you're able to use the RESULTNAME from column C of my spreadsheet:
https://ediabaslib.codeplex.com/wiki...W#FormatResult
      03-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #20
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Quote:
The semicolon separated job arguments that I was suggesting would be "2;0x00D3"...new EdiabasJob("STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN", "2;0x00D3", string.Empty)

The proper DDLI could also be 0x19A0, you'll need to experiment.

I gather from the following page that you're able to use the RESULTNAME from column C of my spreadsheet:
https://ediabaslib.codeplex.com/wiki...W#FormatResult
Sorry for the delay, but I've been sick for a few days. So today I was able to run the argument directly in the ediabas tool inside the APP. As shown in the first attached picture the tool gives a hint that you must pass at least two strings. The first has to be JA or NEIN, and then a semicolon, followed by the argument. Through trial and error I found out that the argument has to come from the ARG (column A from your spreadsheet) in the DDLI table. The two you suggested both work (Thanks!), and both returned the same value. I will now try to write this as code for one of my DeepOBD pages so I can see the value live with my other DPF values. Thanks for the help!

I would like to return to the battery topic. I have installed a new battery and things seem okay, but not perfect (but I won't troubleshoot those on the coding forum). However, I still can't see some of the battery info I want. I want to see the Charge status of the battery. If you recall I was getting 0.0% with the old battery...well, that hasn't changed with the new one. I did not notice any extra electronics on the negative battery cable, so it may be that this car doesn't have an IBS unit. Would that be why I cannot see these values?
The values I've been trying to call are:
STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_1#STAT_BATTERIEENTLADUN G_GESAMT_WERT (I get 0.0 all the time)
STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2#STAT_LADUNGSZUSTAND_A KTUELL_WERT (I get 0.0 all the time)
STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2#STAT_STARTFAEHIGKEITS GRENZE_AKTUELL_WERT (I get 30.1 all the time)
Any suggestions for collecting these three?

Also, the main jobs xml file you linked above seems to be full of error descriptions, not the jobs. Is there possibly a JOB spread sheet like the first DDLI file you linked?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, but I've been sick for a few days. So today I was able to run the argument directly in the ediabas tool inside the APP. As shown in the first attached picture the tool gives a hint that you must pass at least two strings. The first has to be JA or NEIN, and then a semicolon, followed by the argument. Through trial and error I found out that the argument has to come from the ARG (column A from your spreadsheet) in the DDLI table. The two you suggested both work (Thanks!), and both returned the same value. I will now try to write this as code for one of my DeepOBD pages so I can see the value live with my other DPF values. Thanks for the help!
You're welcome!

Quote:
I would like to return to the battery topic. I have installed a new battery and things seem okay, but not perfect (but I won't troubleshoot those on the coding forum). However, I still can't see some of the battery info I want. I want to see the Charge status of the battery. If you recall I was getting 0.0% with the old battery...well, that hasn't changed with the new one. I did not notice any extra electronics on the negative battery cable, so it may be that this car doesn't have an IBS unit. Would that be why I cannot see these values?
The values I've been trying to call are:
STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_1#STAT_BATTERIEENTLADUN G_GESAMT_WERT (I get 0.0 all the time)
STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2#STAT_LADUNGSZUSTAND_A KTUELL_WERT (I get 0.0 all the time)
STATUS_SYSTEMCHECK_PM_INFO_2#STAT_STARTFAEHIGKEITS GRENZE_AKTUELL_WERT (I get 30.1 all the time)
Any suggestions for collecting these three?
Yes, you need an IBS:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876512

Quote:
Also, the main jobs xml file you linked above seems to be full of error descriptions, not the jobs. Is there possibly a JOB spread sheet like the first DDLI file you linked?
It contains all the jobs...search for <JOBNAME>
      03-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep

Smile

Quote:
You're welcome!

Yes, you need an IBS:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876512

It contains all the jobs...search for <JOBNAME>
Thanks so much for all your help. Between you and the developer of the DeepOBD app, I now have all data easily available directly on my Android device.

The code for the Ash Mass was a bit complicated. See below.
<job name="STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN" args="JA;IMASOEL">
<display name="!JOB#STATUS_MESSWERTBLOCK_LESEN#IMASOEL" result="STAT_OELASCHENMASSE_WERT" format=".2R" log_tag="STAT_OELASCHENMASSE_WERT" />

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Last edited by HugoCountsto7; 03-26-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 1