E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How do you launch your auto 335i rwd?

07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
Jmore92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 titanium silver e90 335i

How do you launch your auto 335i rwd?

Hows it going guys. I know this has been talked about but im not 100% sure yet.

Best and most effective way to launch 335i?

I was at the track recently and it was all trail and error for me.

I also learned about the kick down feature om the gas pedal and was weary about running into it when launching.

So here's my questions

(i had dtc completely off)

1. Is it even possible to launch from 1st? I did nothing but spin when i attempted this, already knew it would happen but i had to try it for myself.

Would a proper set off drag radials allow someone to launch from 1st for the better times?

2.launching from 2nd gear and manually shifting shaved a whole second of my time. Is this really the only way to drive the 335i at a strip?

Ive seen videos of people running excellent times with no paddle shifting. But without them theres no way to launch in any other gear other than 1st?

I did try limiting the 1st gear througu the jb4 but i didnt get to try it very much after i noticed what 2nd gear could do.

3. Drive vs Sport drive? Obviously shifting at higher rpms and a little bit quicker shift times?
But people have said to shift at 5.5kish?

Ive read people saying that DS puts you in 2nd gear. This is untrue as i messed it and it would always put me in 1st gear.

Lmk what you guys are doing im looking to get it down for next time!

Thanks

Last edited by Jmore92; 07-17-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Biggest thing you can do for the 6AT at the track is the stage 3 xHP trans tune. Increases shift pressures, gets rid of your torque limiting and has better shift points for D and S and will make your M mode more dct-like. With the customization module you can also set custom shift points for D and DS and some other things that can be helpful, like eliminating the kickdown switch. Going from stock to Stage 3 xHP honestly feels like a completely different transmission and will shave off a ton of time by itself.

Other than that, yes, of course better tires and some trial and error for learning the best way to launch for your track and setup are going to be huge too as well as typical drag techniques like lower tire pressure and weight reduction.

The more serious racers and just generally more N54 knowledgeable people mostly reside on S poolstree t nowadays if you're looking for more technical stuff, this forum has unfortunately kind of devolved into a FAQ-fest now that the F series cars have been out for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
zomski101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

I second the xhp flash. Honestly it is a must for anyone that has mods and/or wants to go fast. Before, it was like power, shift, power, shift, power. Now its just power, power, power. I'd recommend trying stage 3 v1.8, felt more direct, not that anything is wrong with v2.0.
Appreciate 0