E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > repaclace window regulator

07-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #89
asmd
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Hey guys,

My rear right regulator went out.. window went down and never would come back up. googled and found that i could sort this one out myself without the 450$ bill from the dealership.

Bought the dorman replacement regulator from amazon for $50 and using the you tube tutorial, swapped it out. Swap was straight forward. Encountered the window roll down when it hits the top and managed to sort that out as well...but now i have a new problem -

When the window is fully open.. it wont close. The window will start to move, there's a clunk and it reverses down. As if its binding right at the start.If i gently help it along by pushing it from beneath, it works just fine. There seems to be something binding it when in the fully down position. Its just right at the start.

Any insight as to what could cause this and what the problem could be. Having some idea is better than going into this blind....

I have already disassembled and reassembled the entire assembly. Window seems to slide up and down fine on its own.
Checked the dorman assembly. It smooth and deosnt bind anywhere.
When i put it all together, same problem, it wont close when in the fully open position. Even if its half an inch from the fully open position, it will close just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
asmd.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #90
MadeInPhilly
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 318is, E90 335i, 03 GTI

did you complete the relearn procedure?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #91
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmd View Post
Hey guys,

My rear right regulator went out.. window went down and never would come back up. googled and found that i could sort this one out myself without the 450$ bill from the dealership.

Bought the dorman replacement regulator from amazon for $50 and using the you tube tutorial, swapped it out. Swap was straight forward. Encountered the window roll down when it hits the top and managed to sort that out as well...but now i have a new problem -

When the window is fully open.. it wont close. The window will start to move, there's a clunk and it reverses down. As if its binding right at the start.If i gently help it along by pushing it from beneath, it works just fine. There seems to be something binding it when in the fully down position. Its just right at the start.

Any insight as to what could cause this and what the problem could be. Having some idea is better than going into this blind....

I have already disassembled and reassembled the entire assembly. Window seems to slide up and down fine on its own.
When i put it all together, same problem, it wont close when in the fully open position. Even if its half an inch from the fully open position, it will close just fine.

regards,
asmd.
I have this exact problem as you, and I also bought the amazon one. I am expecting that the tolerances for these aftermarket parts are not good. Has anyone had a similar experience. Can someone suggest a way to resolve the issue that the window gets trapped in the lower part of the door and does not come back up? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #92
tigers12
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Hey Guys, I replaced the rear window regulator in my 2007 335 on the weekend and the anti trap needs to be reset. The only problem is that everything I have read says that to do so I need to open the window all the way and hold the button down for 10sec, then close and hold in the closed position for 10 sec. When I open the window it seems to open too far and gets stuck.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #93
mrgrey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328I

Window wont go up from fully down position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmd View Post
Hey guys,

regards,
asmd.

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am experiencing same issue
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #94
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrey View Post
On occasion the same thing happens to my rear window when fully open. I just live with it by pulling up on the button a few times by pulsing it until window starts going up, then you can hit the Full Auto up.

I believe the problem is with the molding at the door, a sensor thinks something is in the way and prevents window from going up. I could be wrong, but I have my workaround
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #95
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrey View Post
Unfortunately I have not found a solution to this. My issue is this: when the window is open and I press the button one time to go up, it rolls up but then rolls back down about 4 inches and stops, leaving the window partially open. Obviously it should shut and stay shut. My work-around has been to manually close it by holding the up button and then press down exactly when it is closed, then never touch it (it is my rear driver window)

The second part of my work-around is to give the part on amazon a poor review, because clearly the tolerances on that part are insufficient. Hopefully I can prevent the next person from making the same mistake I did. I have bought aftermarket regulators before and they worked, this one clearly doesnt. Which surprises me because amazon usually only allows good parts to be sold, but I guess there is only so much they can do
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #96
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
fcp euro has lifetime replacement on parts, check out the

URO Premium Window Regulator.
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #97
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Pics are broken. Anyone have them saved or link to another DIY by chance?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #98
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Did this job back in July of 2010, guess what happened Friday night? I will be doing it again 6 years and one month later. At least I have experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #99
sonic1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like the amazon/dorman window regulators are having issues. Any luck with the ebay window regulator below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Window-R...BXeJYr&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #100
sonic1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

UPDATE: Turns out Advanced Auto Parts carries Dorman products. Read that some folks are getting knockoff regulators off Amazon. Ordered one with 30% off coupon code and picked it up in person. Window goes up/down with no issues. Will note that the provided window regulator screws don't work very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #101
Zmw124
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328ic e36

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9sBMW View Post
fcp euro has lifetime replacement on parts, check out the

URO Premium Window Regulator.
I havent read much about these particular regulators on the forums, but based on what i read üro redesigned one of the point of failures by using ball bearings inside the spinning parts and made the resistance go down a very decent amount, rear regulators run $60. Im just experiencing my rear regulators having to be babied to go up which is very common on all bmw ive owned and been in, but this üro part seams like it would solve this, any one have any experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #102
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
What do you mean by babied ?
do you mean if you hold button in up or down position the window only goes up a couple of inches and stops? If so you need to re-initialize
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #103
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers12 View Post
Hey Guys, I replaced the rear window regulator in my 2007 335 on the weekend and the anti trap needs to be reset. The only problem is that everything I have read says that to do so I need to open the window all the way and hold the button down for 10sec, then close and hold in the closed position for 10 sec. When I open the window it seems to open too far and gets stuck.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have had this issue for a while now. where it gets stuck open. Every time it happens, I just keep trying by pushing the button couple of times and eventually window goes up and closes. Its kind of annoying. So what you are saying is that I have to replace my regulator and to reset the anti trap? I haven't spent to much time on this issue sorry...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #104
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
I have had this issue for a while now. where it gets stuck open. Every time it happens, I just keep trying by pushing the button couple of times and eventually window goes up and closes. Its kind of annoying. So what you are saying is that I have to replace my regulator and to reset the anti trap? I haven't spent to much time on this issue sorry...
I had this issue since I got my car, where the window will get stuck if it's rolled down all the way. I was able to fix it by removing the motor from the regulator (which can be done carefully without removing the regulator from the door...one of the screws is behind part of the door frame but if you work carefully you can get it out), and then separating the motor from the gearing assembly and spinning everything around by hand a bit. I had planned to clean it out and re-lubricate it, but everything looked good inside. I just spun the gears a bit to make sure everything was working well, put it back together and it has worked fine since then. I don't know what it would have done, but worth a short for anyone having issues with it.

The other issue where the window rolls up and rolls back down part way is because the window isn't initialized properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #105
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
I had this issue since I got my car, where the window will get stuck if it's rolled down all the way. I was able to fix it by removing the motor from the regulator (which can be done carefully without removing the regulator from the door...one of the screws is behind part of the door frame but if you work carefully you can get it out), and then separating the motor from the gearing assembly and spinning everything around by hand a bit. I had planned to clean it out and re-lubricate it, but everything looked good inside. I just spun the gears a bit to make sure everything was working well, put it back together and it has worked fine since then. I don't know what it would have done, but worth a short for anyone having issues with it.

The other issue where the window rolls up and rolls back down part way is because the window isn't initialized properly.

Interesting. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #106
guardado_x
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

Hi Everyone.
Hopefully I have done enough research both here and on Youtube to help me tackle this DIY.

I had the regulator go out on the rear passenger side about 2 years ago and paid in excess of $300 for the work.

Now the rear driver side is out and my mechanic wants $270 min to take care of it.

I was able to handle some minor cosmetic updates earlier this year saving myself $300 over what I was quoted. I figure, I can give this a shot and save some cash while at it.

I found a Dorman regulator for the rear left for under $60 and was wondering, is this the correct part?
https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...03.0L%2520DOHC

Also, the following is the Youtube video I found most informative. Is this one the best?

Thank you all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #107
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Looks like the right part.

Couple things about the video: Be prepared for a couple of the white clips on the door handle trim to break. I'd also suggest using a nylon/plastic trim tool instead of a screwdriver.

I think the hardest part of the job is removing the vapor barrier. It isn't hard, it's just a pain dealing with the butyl rubber. Don't rip it off the way he did, go slow and cut it away inch by inch. If you try to just pull it off like that you'll probably tear the vapor barrier.

One the barrier is off it's a simple job, especially on the rear doors with no airbags to deal with.

Oh, and I also find it easier to remove the interior door handle cable from the actuator side instead of removing it from the door panel. Just pull it down and lift it off of the hook on the actuator and leave it attached to the door panel. The just hook it back in when you go to put it back on.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #108
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

[QUOTEHey guys,

regards,
asmd.[/QUOTE]

Having same problem. Any solution? Here's my thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1407827
      07-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #109
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have had this same issue for awhile, idk what to do other than replace with OEM, but I dont feel like the effort
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #110
NjPrince
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzobmw1982 View Post
brothet thanks for thew info

I have the same problem exact same door

do you have the part number for the regulator because i order one and i got the one for the left door

where did u got yours

thanks

joseluisgonzalez17@hotmail.com
Cheap on eBay for anyone looking at this thread now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...r%26_sacat%3D0
Appreciate 0