E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Newcomer seeking advice on setup

07-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
comcamjoe
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Newcomer seeking advice on setup

As you can see I am new to the forum and also a new 335i owner. I have been browsing and researching on this forum for several months now since buying my car to try to make a semi educated decision on the mod setup I should buy. Now I have recently crossed over from to the dark side lol and got rid of my RX8 and decided to try something new. I have modded imports in the past but I am far from a guru, most of my experience being with rotary/wankels so this is a big jump for me. Although I had a blast with the rotaries, I am out of my tinkering phase and looking for something more reliable and quick that can also double as a family car because taking my 3yr old daughter in and out of my RX8 was killing me lol. Anyway all that being said here is my current prospective list of mods I want to buy and I just want to get one last shot of opinions before I start ordering. I have been researching the parts individually on here and N54tech and have gathered alot of useful info from experienced users, but I feel maybe I could still use advice on my specific planned setup. so here it goes..

BMS JB4 - I like the ease of use and bang for buck here from what I have gathered.
Injen DCI - I just think it looks awesome and seems to have comparable performance to other DCIs.
RSD Charge pipe/BOV- to rule out plastic charge pipe and faulty DVs from the equasion.
ETS FMIC- looks to have reputable build/fit and good performance numbers.
TiTek catless ceramic coated DPs - good price point, and has cermic coating option, and from what it seems a 3" DP is a 3" DP as long as it fits?
Borla 2nd cat delete pipes/ cat back exhaust - after looking at tons of exhaust clips I like this sound the most (agressive).
CM meth kit w/ CM10 nozzle - I am still in the air on this bc I am new to meth but I plan on doing more research here.

Now that is pretty much the list and why I chose them based on reading up until now, until tax time rolls around when I plan on buying a wavetrac LSD, and some coils for better traction/stance, but I am pretty shure I have the welded ring gear . anyone think of any issues with this specific setup? also kicking around the idea of the RB turbo upgrade in the future but gonna roll this for now.

Any advice or info on why any of this would be a bad combo, or is a bad choice please let me know. I'm always open to learn from the more experienced

Thanks in advance
-Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
comcamjoe
Rep

And just to elaborate on why I am up in the air on the meth kit, I am just trying to get a handle on what setup will integrate best with the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
remington109
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

If you plan on running meth, I'd seriously look into the Proceed/PWM kit over the JB4/CM setup
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

My recommendations:

Procede
PWM Meth
ETS FMIC
AR Downpipes
AE Exhaust

Intake is up to you
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
comcamjoe
Rep

Proceed looks very nice, but the price point seems high to me when comparable gains can be had for less with JB4 right? I mean that and doesnt it lock to the vehicle you install it to unless you give your firstborn for the unlocked pro version? that kinda would hurt resale right?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
The Rev3 comes with everything you will ever need, tune-wise:
Speed delimiter
Timing control
Complete tuneability
Pwm meth control
Two step/FF shift

All of which are unavailable/optional with the other tune. It's up to you to determine if this is useful to you for a $300 premium. And this is ignoring differences in drivability and safety margin which, in the opinion of many, are significant. If there is on area where you should never cost-cut, is engine management. Better to save money elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcamjoe View Post
As you can see I am new to the forum and also a new 335i owner. I have been browsing and researching on this forum for several months now since buying my car to try to make a semi educated decision on the mod setup I should buy. Now I have recently crossed over from to the dark side lol and got rid of my RX8 and decided to try something new. I have modded imports in the past but I am far from a guru, most of my experience being with rotary/wankels so this is a big jump for me. Although I had a blast with the rotaries, I am out of my tinkering phase and looking for something more reliable and quick that can also double as a family car because taking my 3yr old daughter in and out of my RX8 was killing me lol. Anyway all that being said here is my current prospective list of mods I want to buy and I just want to get one last shot of opinions before I start ordering. I have been researching the parts individually on here and N54tech and have gathered alot of useful info from experienced users, but I feel maybe I could still use advice on my specific planned setup. so here it goes..

BMS JB4 - I like the ease of use and bang for buck here from what I have gathered.
Injen DCI - I just think it looks awesome and seems to have comparable performance to other DCIs.
RSD Charge pipe/BOV- to rule out plastic charge pipe and faulty DVs from the equasion.
ETS FMIC- looks to have reputable build/fit and good performance numbers.
TiTek catless ceramic coated DPs - good price point, and has cermic coating option, and from what it seems a 3" DP is a 3" DP as long as it fits?
Borla 2nd cat delete pipes/ cat back exhaust - after looking at tons of exhaust clips I like this sound the most (agressive).
CM meth kit w/ CM10 nozzle - I am still in the air on this bc I am new to meth but I plan on doing more research here.

Now that is pretty much the list and why I chose them based on reading up until now, until tax time rolls around when I plan on buying a wavetrac LSD, and some coils for better traction/stance, but I am pretty shure I have the welded ring gear . anyone think of any issues with this specific setup? also kicking around the idea of the RB turbo upgrade in the future but gonna roll this for now.

Any advice or info on why any of this would be a bad combo, or is a bad choice please let me know. I'm always open to learn from the more experienced

Thanks in advance
-Dan
With the JB4 you can use their WW meth kit which is only $479 and installs in minutes. It's a clean setup and you can easily produce 400rw+ with tune and meth as your only major modifications!

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

1. JB4 + DCI
2. CM FSB meth kit for JB4 integration
3. AR Downpipes

This setup will run you about $2000 and will net you 410-420 rwhp.
      07-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OP-- if you get the chance, try to test drive both kinds of methanol systems (Procede PWM and standard PPS integrated with the JB4). Both will make good numbers on a dyno where engine load is stable. But they will not have the same level of response and consistency on the road. Especially when driven hard. The difference is pretty obvious and worth first hand experience. Especially if it means getting exactly what you want.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Proceed looks very nice, but the price point seems high to me when comparable gains can be had for less with JB4 right? I mean that and doesnt it lock to the vehicle you install it to unless you give your firstborn for the unlocked pro version? that kinda would hurt resale right?
If I were you, I would save money on Injen and just get DCI. You will save about $200~$250 doing so, and use that money towards PROceed, they are about to come out with Rev.3 unit which looks promising. Also instead of getting chargepipe & Meth kit separately, with same amount of money you can just get the Vishnu PWM meth kit with their chargepipe. PWM meth kit feels amazingly smooth all the way up top, this is coming from a guy who used to PPS system meth. My car runs better than ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
comcamjoe
Rep

So I guess PWM is exclusive to Procede then? I am kind of torn now when the meth comes into play.. hmm.. I might just try both and pick one to keep lol, dont they both have a return policy if you dont like them? but then again I dont really plan on tracking the car except for the rare occasion, being as I will have my kid in the back most of the time. I more or less just want a reliable ride that can put that lil V-tch in its place from time to time lol

I really apreciate all the feedback so far though, so is the PPS un relaiable or just "not as smooth"??
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

The Borla midpipes sucks, they will drone like hell and they taper more at the dp connection than the stock pipes. Stay away.

Get the right kit from the beginning which means Procede and their integrated pwm meth kit which got great reviews and is totally integrated into the procede .
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
comcamjoe
Rep

what pipes would you reccomend for secondary cat deletes then?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I guess PWM is exclusive to Procede then? I am kind of torn now when the meth comes into play.. hmm.. I might just try both and pick one to keep lol, dont they both have a return policy if you dont like them? but then again I dont really plan on tracking the car except for the rare occasion, being as I will have my kid in the back most of the time. I more or less just want a reliable ride that can put that lil V-tch in its place from time to time lol

I really apreciate all the feedback so far though, so is the PPS un relaiable or just "not as smooth"??
PPS methanol kits are, by nature, not as reliable as PWM kits which treat methanol the same way fuel is treated in an EFI system (constant pressure, PWM solenoid metered). Also typical with PPS meth kits is a lack of available failsafes that are truly meth compatible. I believe CM chose to address this issue by actually removing the flow reading device from the system and instead decided to monitor pump current as a representation of flow. You can decide if that is a step forward or a big step back. As it stands now, only Aquamist makes a flow sensor that is 100% reliable with meth. Makes sense since they build it themselves for motorsports use instead of using off-the-shelf flow tubes designed for more pedestrian (non motorsports) applications.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #16
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
All I can say is I have the Procede with PWM Meth with AA downpipes Harman motive Catless exhaust Forge DV's(I had the Stett Charge Pipe and Synapse Bov but switched due to Meth bung location) and DCI ( Helix FMIC on the way) along with a bunch of other stuff. But the PWM Meth is seamless with the Procede it's so smooth you don't even realize how fast your going and it's not a spray and pray kit like pps. Check out all of the reviews fir the PWM Meth one thing they all have in common they are consistent all state that it is seamless and smooth. No issues to speak of to date. If you are for sure doing Meth, then to do it right you need to go with the Procede and PWM. If your not gonna do Meth then play with whatever tune that someone on this board can talk you into. As for intercooler, Exhaust and DP's - ETS is good, exhaust is preference on sound and drone, and DP's AR or AA.

At the end of it I'm an M driver and have just sold n M6 to buy a 335 with Orocede and PWM Meth and FBO. Kinda speaks for itself. But defiantly drive the different tuned cars iff possible.

Last edited by SIKH335; 07-25-2011 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
Maddawg58
Welcome to the Thunderdome!
North Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Your already seem willing to pay for your set-up....do it right the first time......read up on the PWM Meth kit. If you are going to run meth, thats the way to go (at least for me). Under the hood convenience, windshield washer tank usage, integration with the tune. Reviews are all spot on.

You'll need to drop Injen from your set-up to fit vishnu's meth kit. If you go with a regular DCI vs and AFE you'll save a couple hundred.......take that add it to your Procede tune and whala!!! Same price. You'll also save money on where you get your exhaust. I saved a ton just ordering from the right website.

Recs:

Vishnu Procede
BMS DCI (savings/meth kit fitting)
Vishnu PMW Meth Kit/Charge pipe
AR Downpipes
FMIC (find one that uses the stock plumbing for ease of installment if your gonna do it yourself)
Exhaust Up to you
(I run an HKS cause it's freak'in awesome, but exhausts are very subjective and have the least amount of gain.....different strokes for different folks)

Last edited by Maddawg58; 07-25-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Like someone above said, lose the Injen DCI and get a basic DCI set instead. The Injen setup will probably get in the way of an engine bay mounted meth kit and the money can be used towards better items anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
asrautox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg58 View Post
You'll need to drop Injen from your set-up to fit vishnu's meth kit. If you go with a regular DCI vs and AFE you'll save a couple hundred
Say it ain't so I know it makes no difference performance wise, but I personally just love the look of the Injen DCI. IMO it's the cleanest looking intake out there, but I really like the option of the Procede PWM meth. It is one of, if not the only, feature that's leaning me away from Cobb and toward Procede...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Let me know if you need any help deciding I try to offer some neutral advice that helps the individual and by no accident we carry all the popular items mentioned here.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Let me know if you need any help deciding I try to offer some neutral advice that helps the individual and by no accident we carry all the popular items mentioned here.
I will definitely vouch for that. Each tune (Procede, JB, Cobb, etc) seems to take a specific approach to achieve their respective targets/results. Contact Jeff with what you're looking to do and what you're comfortable with and you'll end up with the best solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i MSport Coupe 6AT

what is the volume of the WWF tank? I had a CM CNMGS kit on a FBO Cammed FP red Evo X and it barely used meth. The tank was 1.5 gallons but it was unsightly in the trunk. How often you guys re-fill your tanks. I know it comes down to driving style etc etc.
Appreciate 0