E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JetHot coating on Downpipes affect on exhaust noise

07-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

JetHot coating on Downpipes affect on exhaust noise

I don't like how loud my downpipes are. Not because it creates more exhaust noise, but because it creates more engine noise. Would a ceramic coating reduce this? If so, by how much? Car will be down for 2 weeks getting OSS lights, might rip out the DPs and send them off if it proves to be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

you will notice no difference just coating your downpipes. Ceramic coatings do not offer any heat insulation neither reduce the noise. They just offer rust durability and nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post
you will notice no difference just coating your downpipes. Ceramic coatings do not offer any heat insulation neither reduce the noise. They just offer rust durability and nothing else.
Ceramic coating specfic function is to provide heat insulation.. especially JetHot.

I have had LT headers JetHot coated for my LS6 equipped CTS-V.

The coating did reduce underhood temps, but really didn't do too much in the volume department. The LS6 had a noisy valvetrain and I was hoping that some of the resonated noises would be reduced with the coating.. as it turned out, in vain.

The coating was also not as durable as I hoped, as long as they weren't on an off and banged around a lot they should be fine though.

Roll Tide!

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
CarbonDuc27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i, Duc M750, 05Mada

What about if you used exhaust wrap. I have read negatives (rust) but i am not convinced of that problem on stainless pipes.

WOuld wrap reduce noise?

I have downpipes but am too lazy to install. I do not want any more noise over stock - is it really that bad?

What about any funny smells from unburnt fuel?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonDuc27 View Post
What about if you used exhaust wrap. I have read negatives (rust) but i am not convinced of that problem on stainless pipes.

WOuld wrap reduce noise?

I have downpipes but am too lazy to install. I do not want any more noise over stock - is it really that bad?

What about any funny smells from unburnt fuel?
Wrap insulates heat as well as noise. They can cause exaggerated wear from higher operating temps. I would stay away from wraps in you live in any state that they salt the roads. The salt gets into the wrap and then is held right next to the metal.

I noticed the volume of the exhaust go up, and maybe slightly more resonated noise from the engine due to the thinner metal thickness used with the majority of brands.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0