E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Early birds, early pictures. n54 rebuilt.

07-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #67
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphroti View Post
OMG.....
Very hard core rebuild.
But where did u get the dashboard upholstery?

ZYZ
The custom leather upholstery including dashbord upholstery was made a friend of mine, who has this kind of shop at Hungary.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #68
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb's335 View Post
Lol this is exactly what I was thinking! Man I am usually a power guy but your interior just takes the cake. Amazing craftsmanship in that leather work. I cannot imagine the amount of investment you have (or will have at the end) in this car, but I imagine it should be worth it.

Honestly I have only heard of "choping" the cylinder walls, never actually witnessed it being done. I had never considered this for a big turbo built, but it makes incredible sense. You seem very articulate in your responses and up to date with all of the processes used on your build, do you mind giving us some information on how the machine shop did this and what all was done to the block? I believe I read all of your responses in the thread but I hope I did not miss one where you went more in depth on this subject...
Thanks for your kind words. My upgraded turbos are not monsters, as this project is not about word records based on huge HPs.
But maybe the more concepted and "articulated" built in technical aspect. My rebuilt includes at least 10 or 15 small technical ideas, which are unique and completly in-house developed. We try to built the best in its class (in a technical aspect).
As for the interior, this is much depends on everybody's tastes. There are some people (i respect their opinion), who are dislike and there are some people, who really like the interior. But above tastes, this custom leather upholstery is high-end. The leather is a LEVEL3 leather, these leathers are used by Porsche for instance. (BMWs uses LEVEL2 or sometime LEVEL3 leather in individual cars, but the quality not the best every time.)

As for the engine rebuilt and chops, what i can tell you at this moment, that the cylinders were rebored by something like 0.25mm (?) and the clearance between my forged pistons/rings and cylinder wall is 0,06mm. There were an early version, where we planned to have 0,09mm clearence, but later we have changed it to 0,06mm. Please note that factory pistons and rings has approx 0,03mm clearance. The larger clearance was needed because of the mature of forged pistons.
When we choosed the proper honing shape and angle, we put the oiling on first priority.
Design concept were therefore: provide oiling in every circumstances, not much oil consumption and not much carter-gas.
Regarding the forged pistons and clearance, a proper brake-in period is essential for the first 2.000km. I will use Motul X-Cess 5W40 for brake in than change back to my old-school, still the best Motul 300V Power 5W40 ester based oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb's335 View Post
Honestly I have only heard of "choping" the cylinder walls, never actually witnessed it being done. I had never considered this for a big turbo built, but it makes incredible sense.
From the very begining we planned a very reliable engine/car for my estimated 500-550HP. I do not want to step above. In my opinion, choking the open-deck design engine is essential above 500HP, even if you would like to have these kind of power level on a long-term basis.
One thing to have 700HP on a dyno with factory engine for a day and other thing to use the factory engine in different circumstances on a long-term basis with 700HP. I assume, these kind of power level will sooner or later may kill the engine, if you leave it as it came out from the factory.

i will come back to you more detailed informations regarding the choks, once i have consulted to my friends/engineers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #69
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

OIL cooling

As my 335i will have a complete M3 body conversation, today we start to test build the front of the car, of course with M3 stuff. We have fitted the engine hood and other front panels.

What we are hesitating or other words we are prefering to have an M3 style oil cooling system like the real M3 has under the front bumper.

We will figure this out together with the intercooler and hope they will not interfere to fit.

If the M3 style oil cooler will fit together with the intercooler, than we custom made an M3 style upgraded oil cooler, like for example Motorsport24 developed an upgraded M3 oil cooler.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #70
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and turbine houses

Finally my exhaust manifolds and turbine houses are back and have ceramic coated (inside, outside). This technology was developed by two of my friends.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #71
G.I.Joe
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2008

Impressive build, it must be tons of fun to do this
E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | Pure Stage 2 turbos | Motiv PI | Trueform Tech Intake | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Öhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E85 Map | Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Tial BOV | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC Steel SM Flywheel |
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #72
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

amazing thread...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #73
OB
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i wagon, Pure Stage 2+PI...

Garage List
f*ck me..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #74
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

AWESOME! JUST AWESOME!!! Nice work and i am subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #75
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Wow! That's some very clean work, the level of detail is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #76
farb
teh Rider!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

wow.. good work man
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #77
chiefsotos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 E93

The best modification thread for n54. Nice work, hope to end it soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #78
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Fuel System Upgrade - LPFP side

As i mentioned earlier, my HP goal is approx 450 -530HP. I will not use any eXX fuel, nor any fuel mix, just the old-school eur spec 98-100 octane fuel. No meth as well.

At this moment I do not have any experiences regarding fuel system limitation as my car - in his earlier life - never reached that power level.
I have read Terry's fuel pump related topics and others, but i still have some questions.

I would like to start with the LPFP side only at this moment. I have choosed Terry's "option2", but not with Walbro LPH 255, but with BOSCH 044 connected serial. Today the pump has arrived, location and fittings will be figured out later.

I am open your suggestions and if somebody can tell or PM me, how should i do the electronic cabling to the BOSCH 044 inline pump, i would be more than happy. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #79
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

DCT upgrade - stage0

My car has DualClutchTranny and i am hesitating how we should upgrade it (or othewise, do i need to upgrade at all to my HP/NM level).

In the past i have purchased SSP 700HP clutch package and alu oil pan, but none of them were used.

I have read some strange post regarding the clutch pack which resulted not to use them. SSP recently changed the 700HP clutch pack back to the new BMW 16 clutch pack for free. The new clutches seem to have not so agressive design/kevlar components compared to the old ones. I have Viton seals as well.

So the big question: should i use the new clucth packs or not? At this moment i do not have any capabilities to upgrade the TCU with modified software.

I have already purchased the alu oil pan, which is based on bad design concept, therefore we cannot use it. We know the reason, why Sticky's one leaked the oil.

During this week, we decided to design and machine our alu oil pan, so we have started to scan the factory oil pan.

Our alu oil pan will 100% compatible with the factory one and can be useable on e9x M3 platform as well as on Fxx M5/M6 platform.

I will gladly post some pictures, once we are ready with the new alu oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #80
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL335i View Post
To optimize the heat transfer (and improve the fuel burn), we figured out the following:
- ceramic coating on the top of the piston heads
- ceramic coating on the cylinder heads, including valves
- ceramic coating in the engine exhaust ports internally - there is also a picture about this.
- ceramic coating on the exhaust manifolds (internally and externally)
- ceramic coating on the turbine house (externally and internally)
- ceramic coating on the downpipes (externally and internally)
- plus bandage on the downpipes.

Our in-house modified ceramic coating can decrease the heat up to 30%,
plus the bandage can decrease the heat up to 150C.

And yes, we should apply some heat shield (or heat mirror) as well.
Interesting build...subscribed. Will you be thermal spraying the ceramic coating ?

Just saw the coating. Doesn't look ceramic...do you have Ni, Ti, Al or other allow mixed into the ceramic powder ?

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 07-16-2013 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #81
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

pretty awesome

I don't love the colour of the interior however, it am sure it is quality work, impressive
      07-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #82
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Interesting build...subscribed. Will you be thermal spraying the ceramic coating ?

Just saw the coating. Doesn't look ceramic...do you have Ni, Ti, Al or other allow mixed into the ceramic powder ?
Yes, we have such component in the ceramic coating. We have different type ceramic coatings, like coatings for piston heads/cylinder heads (this ceramic coating for example contains gold as well), like coatings for exhaust manifolds, like coatings for piston skirts, etc. Our ceramic coating main components are from US, but we heavily modify it and we have a uniqe, self-developed chemical process to put the ceramic on the surface. We can apply ceramic coating inernally and extrenally as well (exhaust maifolds, exhaust ports in the cylinder head, turbine house, etc.)

The whole modification and process was developed under a PHD program by two of my friends, therefore our ceramic coatings has standalone features compared to traditional ceramic coatings.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #83
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

I was considering going this route with a Bosch 044 too. Are you planning to use it with ethanol? I'd love to hear some feedback on that pump once you get it running.

Quote:
As i mentioned earlier, my HP goal is approx 450 -530HP. I will not use any eXX fuel, nor any fuel mix, just the old-school eur spec 98-100 octane fuel. No meth as well.

At this moment I do not have any experiences regarding fuel system limitation as my car - in his earlier life - never reached that power level.
I have read Terry's fuel pump related topics and others, but i still have some questions.

I would like to start with the LPFP side only at this moment. I have choosed Terry's "option2", but not with Walbro LPH 255, but with BOSCH 044 connected serial. Today the pump has arrived, location and fittings will be figured out later.

I am open your suggestions and if somebody can tell or PM me, how should i do the electronic cabling to the BOSCH 044 inline pump, i would be more than happy. Thanks in advance.
      07-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #84
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
I was considering going this route with a Bosch 044 too. Are you planning to use it with ethanol? I'd love to hear some feedback on that pump once you get it running.
No ethanol.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #85
anorphirith
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i 6mt Cpe

wow awesome !!! that leather work is amazing, how much did it cost you ?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #86
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Yes, we have such component in the ceramic coating. We have different type ceramic coatings, like coatings for piston heads/cylinder heads (this ceramic coating for example contains gold as well), like coatings for exhaust manifolds, like coatings for piston skirts, etc. Our ceramic coating main components are from US, but we heavily modify it and we have a uniqe, self-developed chemical process to put the ceramic on the surface. We can apply ceramic coating inernally and extrenally as well (exhaust maifolds, exhaust ports in the cylinder head, turbine house, etc.)

The whole modification and process was developed under a PHD program by two of my friends, therefore our ceramic coatings has standalone features compared to traditional ceramic coatings.
Excellent! just curious b/c I work with powders and alloys for thermal spraying.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #87
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Excellent! just curious b/c I work with powders and alloys for thermal spraying.
During our chemical process to "put" the ceramic coating on the surface, we do not use any thermal spray, we do not use any glue, we even do not need special temperature. And because, we do not use thermal/special temperature, the object, which should be ceramic coated will not have any distorsion because of high temperature.

And our ceramic coating is one of the more resillient, which is necessary, when you use ceramic coating on things, which have dilation.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #88
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
During our chemical process to "put" the ceramic coating on the surface, we do not use any thermal spray, we do not use any glue, we even do not need special temperature. And because, we do not use thermal/special temperature, the object, which should be ceramic coated will not have any distorsion because of high temperature.

And our ceramic coating is one of the more resillient, which is necessary, when you use ceramic coating on things, which have dilation.
Interesting...thank you for the info. Just did a bit of research. You essentially do the same as our industry but we use HVOF and plasma to spray the powder. A good example are jet engine turbines and semiconductor parts in plasma chambers.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 07-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0