E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Place to find Clay Bar and other detailing products?

01-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Place to find Clay Bar and other detailing products?

I tried looking for Clay Magic and Meguiar's clay this past weekend, and I went to Pepboys and Kragen, and they both only carried Mother's clay. Anyone know where I can find either? Or, has anyone had experience with Mother's clay?

Also, I tried finding one of those fancy car wash buckets with the grate at the bottom to keep the wool mit off the bottom of the bucket and away from the dirt. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? I tried Home Depot, OSH, Walmart, Pepboys, Kragen... and the closest I found was at Target (but the bucket was poorly designed).

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Get the Mothers bar. It is a high quality clay bar and you get the QD with it which is also a good product. I have the Mothers and the Meguiars bars, both good.
As far as the bucket goes, I found a Black Magic wash bucket with grit guard at Big Lots for $3.99, they may be sold out though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-bmwdrvr
Get the Mothers bar. It is a high quality clay bar and you get the QD with it which is also a good product. I have the Mothers and the Meguiars bars, both good.
As far as the bucket goes, I found a Black Magic wash bucket with grit guard at Big Lots for $3.99, they may be sold out though.
Big Lots! Who knew? Thanks, I'll try going there. There's a couple in my neighborhood. (yeah, great neighborhood).

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

All clay is made by the same manufacturer. There is no real difference between the mothers clay magic, megs, etc. All are consumer grade bars.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
All clay is made by the same manufacturer. There is no real difference between the mothers clay magic, megs, etc. All are consumer grade bars.
Oh, I didn't know this. Sonus advertised their clay as being the finest grit out there for clay. They recommended it for cars that were fairly new, so I figured I'd try it out and ordered it online, along with my Klasse products and Meguiar's wheel brushes (which by the way, I can't find in the stores either).

It's just so hard to find good car wash equipment in the stores.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
Oh, I didn't know this. Sonus advertised their clay as being the finest grit out there for clay. They recommended it for cars that were fairly new, so I figured I'd try it out and ordered it online, along with my Klasse products and Meguiar's wheel brushes (which by the way, I can't find in the stores either).

Clay can come in different levels of agressivenes. My Meguiars clay specifies "mild". The Mothers clay is also mild since it is consumer oriented.
The Meguiars products were just on clearance at Advance Auto (brushes, applicators, towels) at 50% off. The store manager said they did not "move" like they would like so the company will not carry them anymore. I bought the wheel and tire brushes, 4 MF towels, 2 WW drying towels, 2 terry towels and the MF sponge for applying quick detailer.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

bucket with a grit guard at big lots for $4 eh? might have to roll by there this weekend to see if anything is available.
      01-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall

I've never used the sonus clay but I have read their claims about it having the finest grit. I'll reserve judgement until I can try it for myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Well, I'll let everyone know what Sonus is like when I get my car. I just got back from Big Lots and AutoZone, and there aren't any of those grit guard buckets at either place. Also, AutoZone only had Mother's clay as well. You know, if you want a bucket with a "grit guard" I found one being sold by the container store:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...4&PRODID=71858

It goes for $14.99 and it has 4 wheel/casters.

Appreciate 0