E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Check your coolant this morning?

12-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
juanespinoza11
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Check your coolant this morning?

Hey guys, so every time I check my coolant in the mornings I notice it's not even visible on the Minimum line. I added coolant and only needed like 3 oz to get to minimum. I do check when the car is warm and it is on the max. Is this normal when the car is cold? I did change my reservoir about 2 months ago. Let me know what you guys see in the mornings in your tank!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanespinoza11 View Post
Hey guys, so every time I check my coolant in the mornings I notice it's not even visible on the Minimum line. I added coolant and only needed like 3 oz to get to minimum. I do check when the car is warm and it is on the max. Is this normal when the car is cold? I did change my reservoir about 2 months ago. Let me know what you guys see in the mornings in your tank!
Totally normal. Theres a reason why its called an "expansion tank". When the car warms up the coolant expands and the level will appear higher than what it was cold. The proper way to top-off your coolant is filling it just below the max level when the car is stone cold.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
My tank is not a morning tank it likes to sleep in.. sorry

Last edited by Pladi; 12-14-2018 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
juanespinoza11
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
Totally normal. Theres a reason why its called an "expansion tank". When the car warms up the coolant expands and the level will appear higher than what it was cold. The proper way to top-off your coolant is filling it just below the max level when the car is stone cold.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I have to take issue with this nomenclature, but not with you, with BMW. It's really not an expansion tank because it is pressurized and the cooling system pressure relief (i.e. radiator cap) is on the tank. The tank is really the coolant reservoir, because the majority of the coolant stored in the cooling system (outside of the engine block) is in the tank and not in the radiator. Expansion tanks are non-pressurized and hold excess coolant in reserve depending upon the temperature of the coolant. It is not dangerous to open the cap on an expansion tank when the engine is hot, but it is VERY dangerous to open the cap of the E9X coolant reservoir when the engine is hot.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

But to the OP's question, obviously only open the reservoir cap when the engine is cool and the cooling system has no pressure in it. But what you are witnessing is the normal expansion of the coolant under different states of temperature. And stop being so OCD about your car. You have Bmwitice.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

It is exactly an expansion tank.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
juanespinoza11
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
I have to take issue with this nomenclature, but not with you, with BMW. It's really not an expansion tank because it is pressurized and the cooling system pressure relief (i.e. radiator cap) is on the tank. The tank is really the coolant reservoir, because the majority of the coolant stored in the cooling system (outside of the engine block) is in the tank and not in the radiator. Expansion tanks are non-pressurized and hold excess coolant in reserve depending upon the temperature of the coolant. It is not dangerous to open the cap on an expansion tank when the engine is hot, but it is VERY dangerous to open the cap of the E9X coolant reservoir when the engine is hot.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

But to the OP's question, obviously only open the reservoir cap when the engine is cool and the cooling system has no pressure in it. But what you are witnessing is the normal expansion of the coolant under different states of temperature. And stop being so OCD about your car. You have Bmwitice.
Lolol thanks buddy
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
vb7200
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2007 335xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [9.00]
1992 BMW 318i  [10.00]
Mine has none, since it has a leak...