E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Moving to Hong Kong!

11-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Moving to Hong Kong!

Gents, looks like i'll be joining you early next year. My wife and I are planning to relocate next March (2016), and we're in the process of figuring out logistics, etc... We'll be moving to Happy Valley!

To get this thread started, has anyone moved from the US to HK? I'm not talking about coming to the US for school, and back to visit (or back once you graduate)... Has anyone relocated their entire family to HK?

Thank you!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Black widow
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 | F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtech E90 E83 View Post
Gents, looks like i'll be joining you early next year. My wife and I are planning to relocate next March (2016), and we're in the process of figuring out logistics, etc... We'll be moving to Happy Valley!

To get this thread started, has anyone moved from the US to HK? I'm not talking about coming to the US for school, and back to visit (or back once you graduate)... Has anyone relocated their entire family to HK?

Thank you!
If yes, you have any questions?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Black widow
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This would be a really good and expensive place to live in hong kong
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
If yes, you have any questions?
Quote:
This would be a really good and expensive place to live in hong kong
Chris, thanks for chiming in... Happy Valley seems like a ridiculous place to live, but we have a real good connect there, and we're getting hooked up on an apartment...

As for questions, I was mostly curious about shipping all our stuff to HK. I don't know if you've ever used a freight container to ship your belongings to HK, but this is likely the route I would take. I want to ship my motorcycle there - as furniture to start (haha), and then figure out the registration, taxes, etc. I'm not sure if I can ship a bike to HK without having to take care of the registration, taxes, etc - first. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Black widow
Banned
Rep

Quote:
As for questions, I was mostly curious about shipping all our stuff to HK. I don't know if you've ever used a freight container to ship your belongings to HK, but this is likely the route I would take. I want to ship my motorcycle there - as furniture to start (haha), and then figure out the registration, taxes, etc. I'm not sure if I can ship a bike to HK without having to take care of the registration, taxes, etc - first. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Well yea the only solution to move all your belongings to hk is by containers, i haven't used a container to ship before by my family did. My question for the motocycle are whether its stock or not? btw what brand is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

bikes are really much easier... no LHD/RHD crap, no emissions crap, no age limitations
      11-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Well yea the only solution to move all your belongings to hk is by containers, i haven't used a container to ship before by my family did. My question for the motocycle are whether its stock or not? btw what brand is it?
Good stuff. Is there a container shipping company that your family recommends? I'd love to go with a company that someone has used before, without issues.

As for the motorcycle, I have stock parts, but it's not stock... I'm worried because I took off a lot of the emissions-regulation factory equipment (helps the bike run much better), and I hear Hong Kong's emissions laws are more strict than that of California! I have a Ducati 848.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozy View Post
bikes are really much easier... no LHD/RHD crap, no emissions crap, no age limitations
no emissions? I heard the opposite... any non-historical bikes shipped must adhere to HK's strict emissions regulations. I'd hate to bring the bike over, then have to pay someone an arm and a leg to get it emissions-friendly. Any more information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Black widow
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff. Is there a container shipping company that your family recommends? I'd love to go with a company that someone has used before, without issues.

As for the motorcycle, I have stock parts, but it's not stock... I'm worried because I took off a lot of the emissions-regulation factory equipment (helps the bike run much better), and I hear Hong Kong's emissions laws are more strict than that of California! I have a Ducati 848.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Have you ever considered buying the exact same bike in Hong Kong? mind if i ask what's the resale value of your bike in Cali? LOL with the 848 you are going to have so much fun on the roads in Hong Kong, mountain roads are so challenging. Thought about buying a car too?

http://28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h_vid=...848&h_srh_ty=1

^this is the most popular car sale website in hong kong

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_servi...ration_of_mot/

^ official GOV info for importation
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Black widow
Banned
Rep

Whether or not that you are going to get a car in Hong Kong, bring your US driver license to Transport Department licensing office and get a Hong Kong license, because you don't need a road test, and the license is valid for 10 years
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever considered buying the exact same bike in Hong Kong? mind if i ask what's the resale value of your bike in Cali? LOL with the 848 you are going to have so much fun on the roads in Hong Kong, mountain roads are so challenging. Thought about buying a car too?

^this is the most popular car sale website in hong kong

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_servi...ration_of_mot/

^ official GOV info for importation
Quote:
Whether or not that you are going to get a car in Hong Kong, bring your US driver license to Transport Department licensing office and get a Hong Kong license, because you don't need a road test, and the license is valid for 10 years
Chrisfan,

Thanks for your help! A lot of great information to look over, and something to think about. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. HK (outside of causeway bay or inside the city) has some great roads for motorcycles! The 848 is horrible for any city riding -- so I may end up picking up something more comfortable. Just don't want to let go of my baby

As for the car, not as urgent, but will reassess when I get there. Thanks again for your advice!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
jauloz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335 F01 750

be prepared for same amount of people as boxing day or black friday on the streets everyday. I wouldn't drive (a car) in HK if I were you. Traffic is horrible, parking spot took forever to find. I'd rock a cab everywhere and still save time and money.

Other than that, Hong Kong is still a incredible place, good luck and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #12
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Haven't looked at the HK section in quite a while, but given that I actually went through the process of importing a Ducati Monster to HK from the US, I can probably give you a bit of useful information. If you PM me, I'll give you my number and we can chat on the phone.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
Sally Julie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 4-Series

HK is a very great city for people to work and live. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
Black widow
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauloz View Post
be prepared for same amount of people as boxing day or black friday on the streets everyday. I wouldn't drive (a car) in HK if I were you. Traffic is horrible, parking spot took forever to find. I'd rock a cab everywhere and still save time and money.

Yea parking is a bitch. Traffic depends on where you go, but driving is completely different in north america. up hills, down hills, mountain roads, highway, windy road. clear water bay road is basically like a race track... one of the most famous road.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 01:45 AM   #15
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Can definitely see how this sub section is completely dead. Looking forward to learning more about the car-enthusiast scene here. Was completely dumbfound with the lack of autozone, pep boys, or any general car parts store (mostly for buying cleaning products, waxes, etc)... But, it seems all people here aren't DIY'ers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauloz View Post

amen to that. I felt the same way, but living in the city, i felt too confined and wanted the option to go up to N.T. time permitting. Traffic def blows, but the roads are so fun to drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Haven't looked at the HK section in quite a while, but given that I actually went through the process of importing a Ducati Monster to HK from the US, I can probably give you a bit of useful information. If you PM me, I'll give you my number and we can chat on the phone.
Sending PM shortly. Please add me to the whatsapp group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black widow View Post
Yea parking is a bitch. Traffic depends on where you go, but driving is completely different in north america. up hills, down hills, mountain roads, highway, windy road. clear water bay road is basically like a race track... one of the most famous road.
Parking? bitch and a half for sure. Absolutely ridiculous. The roads here are amazing though... can't get enough of the twisties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Julie View Post
HK is a very great city for people to work and live. Congratulations!
Absolutely. Starting up a new company here, and we're looking to be the pioneers of the InsurTech industry
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #16
bankshk
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

if you're after a second hand or used car then don't buy from the car dealers in hong kong. check out https://hkcartrader.com/en/ they have some decent cars for sale
Appreciate 0