E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Recall announced

02-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #287
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

This may have been covered and forgive the ignorance, but is there any reason a dealer would update the ecu software as part of this recall. Looking to see of any risk of losing my ppk tune ( not flashed by BMW).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #288
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Update:
Smelled burning plastic/rubber with HVAC on in recirc mode, so BMW told me to park the car and gave me a rental. The only rental car available when I got to Enterprise was a Nissan Versa Note (109hp, CVT tranny), literally the worst car I've ever driven, but it got good mileage. I had my son line up at a red light in my 189k-mile 97 Saturn SL1 (SOHC) and we were dead even thru 35MPH. I could've requested something else at a different date/time but figured I'd torture myself and be that much more happy when the BMW was fixed.

Fremont BMW called late last Friday and told me the part was in, so I took it down there Monday and had it done in less than 4hrs total. No more speeding up or slowing down of the blower motor and no smells, so I guess it's fixed.
      03-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #289
trojanman07208
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaff914 View Post
Also curious about this. Previous commenters have gotten 2017+ Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Challenger, BMW 430i..
I live in Jersey, I dealt with Springfield BMW, I was in a BMW 430I then got a flat and they sent me to Enterprise in Maplewood and I had a choice of a Cadi ATS or another 430 ( i took the 430), you are only limited to the availability of the enterprise the your dealership is working with.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #290
BioChemBro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 & Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioChemBro View Post
Dropped off my car at Reading BMW yesterday (really dislike Faulkner BMW, worth the extra 30 minute drive)

They Gave me a 330i wagon loaner from their lot. Thinking the part can be here by the end of the week.

Will update once recall service is completed
Got my car back today, once I got home I popped open the hood and noticed a fair amount of oil residue covering the snorkel, fan, and oil filter housing..

Didn’t have this issue prior to leaving my car at the dealer.

Could this be from it sitting for 3 weeks followed by semi-spirited driving?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #291
spac3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Wiring recall completed this week here in Texas after about 6 weeks of rental car
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #292
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Started my wife's 328i this am and almost instantly burning plastic smell. Shut it down and found the pvc heater smoldering under the hood.. Oh, great.. At least it waited for me to return from my business trip to Poland so I could deal with it...
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #293
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Update:
Smelled burning plastic/rubber with HVAC on in recirc mode, so BMW told me to park the car and gave me a rental. The only rental car available when I got to Enterprise was a Nissan Versa Note (109hp, CVT tranny), literally the worst car I've ever driven, but it got good mileage. I had my son line up at a red light in my 189k-mile 97 Saturn SL1 (SOHC) and we were dead even thru 35MPH. I could've requested something else at a different date/time but figured I'd torture myself and be that much more happy when the BMW was fixed.

Fremont BMW called late last Friday and told me the part was in, so I took it down there Monday and had it done in less than 4hrs total. No more speeding up or slowing down of the blower motor and no smells, so I guess it's fixed.
This made me laugh....my buddy bought a CPO for his daughter who just got her license (I am of the camp, who said a kid turns 16 and they get their own car, they have no clue what happens to the insurance with just them and no car added).

This was brilliant though, get her a car, where she'd rather get a ride with a friend, rather than drive or be seen in her own car! (also sad because if someone gave me that car in HS I'd take great care of it or any car for that matter).

Maybe I should check if parts are available, my car has been in my garage, I don't drive it in the winter anyway...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #294
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My wife's car may be the first to get the pcv heater recall done in this region of Germany. They will also be performing the heater fan recall too. For now we have an i3 loaner aka silent death..
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #295
lakethegreat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spac3 View Post
Wiring recall completed this week here in Texas after about 6 weeks of rental car
Six weeks?? Was this at BMW of Austin?

I've got an appointment this afternoon. Wiring into the final stage unit has shorted and insulation melting away. They told me over the phone the new wiring parts aren't available yet, so I'm not sure what they're going to do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #296
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Started my wife's 328i this am and almost instantly burning plastic smell. Shut it down and found the pvc heater smoldering under the hood.. Oh, great.. At least it waited for me to return from my business trip to Poland so I could deal with it...
Which model year and mileage?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #297
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakethegreat View Post
Six weeks?? Was this at BMW of Austin?

I've got an appointment this afternoon. Wiring into the final stage unit has shorted and insulation melting away. They told me over the phone the new wiring parts aren't available yet, so I'm not sure what they're going to do.
Hi I'm starting to smell burnt rubber/plastic coming from the engine bay for about a week now. Can you tell me where this photo is taken? I'd like to see it before I contact the stealership. Called them a few months ago but they just brushed me off and basically saying drive the car at my own risk. If it burns, then call us kind of attitude. Thanks.
      03-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #298
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

Over 2 Months in rental and still counting
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #299
lakethegreat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i View Post
Hi I'm starting to smell burnt rubber/plastic coming from the engine bay for about a week now. Can you tell me where this photo is taken? I'd like to see it before I contact the stealership. Called them a few months ago but they just brushed me off and basically saying drive the car at my own risk. If it burns, then call us kind of attitude. Thanks.
Up under the passenger footwell, behind the glovebox. Follow the Pelican Parts instructions:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec..._Replacing.htm

I actually never smelled burning, but when the blower stopped all of a sudden it caused me to investigate.

Had my appointment at the dealership yesterday. They are actually taking me seriously. I didn't even have to try and convince them this is related to the recall. They got me a rental car (Enterprise, Nissan Maxima) and made me sign a form that I promised not to drive my car except to take it home, not to park it in a garage, not to do any more work on it, etc. They said 1-1.5 months, but I'm expecting it to be longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #300
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakethegreat View Post
Up under the passenger footwell, behind the glovebox. Follow the Pelican Parts instructions:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec..._Replacing.htm

I actually never smelled burning, but when the blower stopped all of a sudden it caused me to investigate.

Had my appointment at the dealership yesterday. They are actually taking me seriously. I didn't even have to try and convince them this is related to the recall. They got me a rental car (Enterprise, Nissan Maxima) and made me sign a form that I promised not to drive my car except to take it home, not to park it in a garage, not to do any more work on it, etc. They said 1-1.5 months, but I'm expecting it to be longer.
Thanks! Gonna do some investigating work to see what's happening.
      03-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #301
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Which model year and mileage?
2011 with around 68k miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 05:09 AM   #302
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

My 2011 328xiT just suffered from the PCV Heater short, thankfully the fuse blew instead of the PCV lighting the engine bay on fire.

Interestingly enough, 17V-683 doesn't appear to have been issued in Canada, so I went ahead and fixed it myself. 17V-683 TSB
(Yes those recalls are open, no they don't have the parts yet...)

The first indication that something was wrong was a CEL. INPA shows 4xO2 Sensor Faults which all appeared at the same time. The O2 Sensors are all on the same fuse as the PCV Heater.

The fuse itself is located in the Glove Box of my E91.

I didn't think to check the resistance of the new part before installing, but I'm certain its more than 10 Ohm. Using an old connector, I checked the resistance

Orange wire-to-Purple wire - 10.7 Ohm

Heater-to-Orange wire - 10.8 Ohm

Heater-to-Purple wire - 0 Ohm (0.2 Ohm is the probe resistance)

A few pictures of the PCV Heater itself. (Ignore the hose connector, it was convenient to get the PCV Heater to be level for the camera)

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #303
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Jagaer Very Interesting info! I think everyone in Canada is still waiting like myself to get parts. I think they are serving the litigious US first. I'm surprised it failed in this warm weather, I didn't think it would activate until it was cold out to reduce condensation.

I suppose if you are really cautious, you can drive without the fuse because the car will go into closed loop with the oxygen sensors not working.

Looking up the Green color fuse, I belive they are 30A, one idea is to reduce the fuse rating to something like 20A, so it will blow easier / (more likely) if there is a problem.
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #304
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagaer View Post
My 2011 328xiT just suffered from the PCV Heater short, thankfully the fuse blew instead of the PCV lighting the engine bay on fire.
You may have jumped the gun, you may have an intermittent short condition on your 02 circuits. To me your measurements do not indicate any short. The copper heat sink is connected to one of the leads, that is why you read close to zero ohm between that lead and the copper heat sink. And 10 ohms doesn't sound too low, definitely not enough to blow a 30 Amp fuse.
The TSB is mentioning of due to manufacturing irregularities moisture getting into the heater and shorting the leads, probably with salt from road working as electrolyte, that may have happened . What I am trying to say is the measurements alone you show doesn't indicate a short to me. And there is no indication of plastic deformation from heat on the element.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #305
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

PhaseP , mecheng77

Apologies for being unclear. When the error codes first appeared, I replaced the 30A fuse, and it immediately blew again. It took quite a few weeks for the replacement part to arrive, so I was only able to replace the heater last weekend.

You are right, 10 Ohms shouldn't be enough to blow the fuse, but once the heater was replaced, I was able to add a new 30A fuse and clear the codes successfully.

Keeping in mind that since the weather is now warm, the heating element probably hasn't been used, so I won't know if the problem is fully solved until the weather gets cold again in Autumn.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #306
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I just had both the 1)blow motor wiring harness and 2)pcv blow by heater recall performed in Toronto Area. They scheduled just the blower motor but when I picked up my car they said the PCV blow by heater parts have arrived and did both!

I looked at the blower wiring harness, the wiring connector looks different, it is a 90 Deg sealed elbow. I see that they taped some wires. No issues with the work.
Appreciate 0