E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blower Motor Recall Experience

07-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #45
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Here is a picture of the new connector, and the label on the new connector. The wiring is not spliced, and definitely longer that the original one - so I believe they ran the new wiring to the fuse box, replacing the original wiring.
And this is visible under the passenger foot area? I have had a burning smell since my car was transported to my new home 10 months ago, however the dealer checked the car 6 months ago and said the connector was fine.
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #46
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
And this is visible under the passenger foot area? I have had a burning smell since my car was transported to my new home 10 months ago, however the dealer checked the car 6 months ago and said the connector was fine.
Yes. If you remove the 2 screws holding the passenger footwell panel (the one with the light in it), you can remove the panel. If you look straight up, you will see the blower resistor. When mine went bad, this is what it looked like (the pics not from my car, but mine looked identical).

Looking at the image, you can see how this creates a fire hazard.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #47
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. If you remove the 2 screws holding the passenger footwell panel (the one with the light in it), you can remove the panel. If you look straight up, you will see the blower resistor. When mine went bad, this is what it looked like (the pics not from my car, but mine looked identical).

Looking at the image, you can see how this creates a fire hazard.
Thank you for this. I checked mine and all looks a-okay. I can stop worrying, but am still confused about the smell.

Replacing the harness that this plug is connected to looks like it will be expensive and laborious.
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #48
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
The bearing goes out. If the pully and the hub are in good shape, you can use a press to change out the bearing in the pulley. My pulley was shot, so i used a kit from ebay that included a new pulley and hub.

The pulley is not pressed on, its held on by a spring clip. If the pulley is still in good shape, you should be able to remove it, once the spring clip is removed. My pulley was toast, the only thing left on was the inner race, i used a dremel to cut it off. I wouldnt use a puller, the center is not a bolt, its the compressor shaft. Just rock it off, or paitently pry it off.
Is the pulley plastic or something? How can a pulley
Be shot?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #49
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I finally got mine back this week...they had it for 1 day for the recall and then 2 weeks to fix the body damage they did while they had it for the recall.

I must say the repair is beautiful...not only did they fix what they damaged...but they fixed a ding in the front passenger door and some scratches further up...likely because they had to match the paint I suppose...but beautiful nonetheless.

I had a 2018 530i loaner for 2 weeks and I couldn’t wait to get my car back...hard to believe a bimmer could feel so numb...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #50
KrisBork
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

So I lost my blower motor function in my 09 328 early this morning. BMW says that parts aren't available and I am awaiting a call back from the "advisor" on the course of action that BMW is going to take. Kinda weird that the recall has been out for over a year and there aren't parts available.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #51
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
No way.

I'll admit Honda handled the airbag recalls much better than BMW could even dream of doing, but their shitty customer service and arrogant "our cars sell themselves" dealerships are ridiculous. My parents have been driving Hondas for over 20 years and after their last dealer experience they said it will be their last.
I used to say Honda was a car I have to own at some point, but I really have never dealt with them at any level. I know my dad was treated that way when he had an Edmunds Price Promise quote on a car. They took his quote and added $800 to it hahahahahahahahahahaha So what exactly is a "price promise."

You can't really fault bmw since they basically gave away free loaners to anyone who wanted one during the Takata recall.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #52
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBork View Post
So I lost my blower motor function in my 09 328 early this morning. BMW says that parts aren't available and I am awaiting a call back from the "advisor" on the course of action that BMW is going to take. Kinda weird that the recall has been out for over a year and there aren't parts available.
They must be doing it oldest to newest, parts are available but they run your vin and it shows no parts available. One of my friends had their 07 a month ago, but mine had no parts available until last week when they did fixed it, mine is an 08.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2018, 05:44 AM   #53
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Went in for the by-annual brake fluid change and had both “burn your car to the ground” recalls done at my dealer. I haven’t been here in a while and currently have 161,000 miles on my 2011. Car has been great. Already had the VC done about 15,000 miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #54
rypezsays
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Just got mine done the other day. Was driving the next day and my car started showing a bunch of codes including ABS, brakes, Tires. Called and they said they didn't hear this from any other customers. Anyone think that the fix could've set off these codes and they messed it up? They never have rentals they said, so I'd have to wait til friday if I look to get a rental.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #55
mainlyfats
Rep
Drives: 2009 e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
I received a letter from BMW Canada about 2 months ago asking me to make an appointment to get the air bag recall done. I was away for 6 weeks and don't drive the car often so I was in no hurry to do it. When I returned from my trip 2 weeks ago I called to make the appointment and they mentioned that they also had a blower motor recall to do at the same time, I dropped the car off and about 3 hours later it was done, no drama and no "recommended" fixes, I usually tell them not to wash my car but I forgot and it was spotless with no scratches!!! This is VERY uncommon for them but it was a nice change.
Similar experience with Birchwood. It was a year between letter and appointment, but no drama or recommended fixes. Got an X3 M4.0 for the day - repair done in 4 hrs - and blasted out to hills around Carman.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #56
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypezsays View Post
Just got mine done the other day. Was driving the next day and my car started showing a bunch of codes including ABS, brakes, Tires. Called and they said they didn't hear this from any other customers. Anyone think that the fix could've set off these codes and they messed it up? They never have rentals they said, so I'd have to wait til friday if I look to get a rental.
It's certainly possible. They're doing a lot of work in and around the junction box.

They accidentally made a mistake during my recall that caused my trunk to continuously open until it reaches the maximum of 20 tries (BMW was smart to keep it from opening forever!). After they did about 2 days of diagnosis, they concluded that they broke something with the junction box electronics during the recall, and installed a new one. It fixed the issue, and I paid nothing. I also got a new trunk lock actuator out of it, which was a nice bonus I guess.

It's worth it to go back. Tell them that you came in without electrical issues, had electrical work done, and now you have electrical issues. That's a reasonable request for anyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #57
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post

I had a 2018 530i loaner for 2 weeks and I couldn’t wait to get my car back...hard to believe a bimmer could feel so numb...
Same. They raised the "displacement" but it's still a buzzy 4 banger that just sounds bad. The electric steering feels nothing like hydraulic, start/stop 8s annoying. And I swear the road noise is worse than my 10 year old (115k) car (to be fair replaced the door seals).

Nothing about it made me want to drop 50k on a new one. Instead I dropped 4k refreshing the car and replacing things that may fail after 100k. Here's hoping it stays as awesome as it's been another 50k.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #58
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroKing View Post
Called about the recall a few weeks ago and still said no parts available.
Would have loved to get that told to me. I would have been like so, if my car goes up in flames I'm not paying anything?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #59
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Def take the car back. Things don't magically start failing when you touch them, they failed because you touched them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #60
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBork View Post
Tell them you smell burning. They either find the parts or you get a rental until they find the parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #61
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
So I called today and they scheduled me for 6/26. This dealership hasn’t ever seen my car before and they said that they’d need to “inspect” it before they did the recall repair...I suppose this is code for “try and bend you over and empty your wallet”?
They just want to tell you things they can do for a fee. They can't refuse to do the recall. I've had them do that. I just take their quote over to parts, buy everything on the list and do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #62
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypezsays View Post

This is exactly why I'm hesitant to get the recall done. I just got my letter indicating that the parts are available. I inspected the blower wiring myself and while it's not corroded and melted like some of the worst case photos, the wire insulation is slightly darker and extremely hard and brittle, likely from excessive heat. I also have a burnt plastic smell under the dashboard coming from that area. I removed the blower motor to clean it recently and all of the wires under the dash seem pretty fragile; I know I wouldn't want to remove the fuse box and all of the wiring behind it.

My other concern is the condition of my car. I have 225K miles on it and it's 12 years old. It was never stored in a garage, and was parked on city streets in LA all of its life, so it has it's share of dings/scratches/dents/chips from being used every day and not being babied. Mechanically it's excellent aside from a minor oil leak and a drivetrain clunk, but cosmetically it's just average for a car that was never parked in a garage. Even aside from the cosmetic stuff, it would still be too easy to come up with a list of recommended things that could be replaced (all four shocks, all control arms front and rear, oil pan gasket, driveshaft). I also have a bunch of little things coded and don't want any of that overwritten.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 12-04-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #63
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Schomp BMW in CO kept my e93 for 2 days to do 2 recalls. Someone hit my car when it was there. It cracked the bumper and the hardtop now rattles. When I complained, the manager said they didn't do it WITHOUT stepping outside to inspect. They also refused to show surveillance video when I asked. I just filed a complaint with BMWUSA. If they won't resolve all this soon, I will sue them in Jan.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #64
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

anyone have the part #s for the parts to do this on your own, without the stealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #65
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Mine went well-ish. Took it in to BMW of Dallas for blower motor, pcv and air bag. Only problem was they washed it even though I asked them not to and the recommended a power steering flush even though I did that the weekend before...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:33 AM   #66
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci E46/2006 325i E90

I brought mine in last week, the report said, "Inspected Blower Motor connector and no discoloration found. Per SIB replaced short harness connector".

They did also have a few recommendations to fix which I will double-confirm with my personal mechanic to see if they are full of sheeeeet or not.
Appreciate 0