E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Somebody is vandalizing my car, (I think) or I'm crazy

08-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Somebody is vandalizing my car, (I think) or I'm crazy

Within the last 5 days I've had a string of weird things happen to my car, I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or not. maybe you guys can confirm

Keep in mind I've never had anything weird happen to my car in the past.

Thursday: I pulled away from my spot in my apartment parking garage and heard I had a nail in my tire. I could hear it clicking on the pavement every rotation. I proceeded to head to the gym for an hour and by the time I got back in the car I had a low tire light and it was down to 18 PSI. Limped back the 1 mile to my apt and I could hear the air leaking out. Sure enough, there was a self tapping screw in the tire. Not a huge deal I was able to patch it within 20 min. BUT based on how fast this leaked from 38 to 18PSI (1hr) it's likely that it didn't puncture until I left the parking garage. (I could hear it instantly when I pulled away) And not on my way home from work.

I will say though, I thought to myself right away that the circumstances were strange and maybe somebody placed it under my tire. However, I didn't want to assume so I said whatever and forgot about it.

Sunday morning: Woke up early to golf and I noticed there was clearly a smudge of grease from a finger on my rear window. Not a huge deal, I wiped it off not thinking much of it.

Monday Morning Got to work and vented my windows a few inches and there was a horrible sound coming from the passenger window. There was a small pebble jammed between the window seal and the glass and it scratched the hell out of my window. A solid 5 inch deep scratch. Mind you I had to get a knife to get the pebble out, that's how tight of a space this is and the window seal doesn't flex very much so the possibility of a rock ended up there naturally is slim to none. I also had this window down the night before then rolled it up around 9pm when I got home. So from 9pm last night to 7am this morning a pebble wedged itself in there.

Monday at lunch I walked out to my car to go somewhere and noticed the rear exhaust tip was a different black than the left. There was that stupid CV type grease in the exhaust tip. It looks exactly like the crap that was on the window I noticed that day before. Is this a thing -- why would someone put grease in an exhaust?? Obviously here's no way it would actually come out of the exhaust, well unless my muffler bearing blew up.

Am I going crazy here?? I don't want to accuse anyone of anything and my apt complex is a pretty nice one so I wouldn't expect a petty things like this to happen and there are way nicer cars in the garage than mine. Unfortunately there are only cameras in the stairwells (I do park right next to one) so there's nothing the apt complex can do about looking at the film as there are probably dozens of people that use the stairs all day. My car is pretty loud on cold starts as it has a muffler delete and I leave around 6:45 AM but I would think if someone has an issue with a car being too loud they would just leave a note... not be passive aggressive like this.

I just ordered a Vantrue N2 Pro dash cam that has front and rear cameras and a parking mode that actives when it detects motion.
Attached Images

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Make a log and get it reported to authorities. Whether police like it or not, tampering with wheels is attempted murder. Granted, it could have been a screw in the road that hadn't seated far enough to puncture, but it now looks like if your claims are truthful, that you have someone messing with your car. As a former MP, at a minimum here, make a full log of the events, down to the days and times, locations of discovery, how you found it, etc. Making a report is up to you.

I get irate over door dings from the parking lot a-holes, to the point that I now demand videos on the timeline it occurred. Yes, I go out of my way to park on camera. Last jackwad is going to cost me a door repaint thanks to his stolen tags. Yes, I actually photograph cars next to me when I park. I am that protective of my 328. I caught one dirtbag pressed up against my windows the other night. He found out just how quickly things can become dangerous in a concealed carry state. "FYI, I saw who got out of that car and he was carrying a gun." Waited for him to walk away then entered the car...and yes, I carry daily.
      08-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay already have another update. I went to go inspect my car to see if anything changes by tomorrow. I found that same f**king grease all over the right side calipers and inner wheels. I cleaned my wheels meticulously last weekend and there wasn't any grease to speak of then, on the caliper or on the wheels. The smear by the valve stem is from me.
Attached Images

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyphertext View Post
Make a log and get it reported to authorities. Whether police like it or not, tampering with wheels is attempted murder. Granted, it could have been a screw in the road that hadn't seated far enough to puncture, but it now looks like if your claims are truthful, that you have someone messing with your car. As a former MP, at a minimum here, make a full log of the events, down to the days and times, locations of discovery, how you found it, etc. Making a report is up to you.

I get irate over door dings from the parking lot a-holes, to the point that I now demand videos on the timeline it occurred. Yes, I go out of my way to park on camera. Last jackwad is going to cost me a door repaint thanks to his stolen tags. Yes, I actually photograph cars next to me when I park. I am that protective of my 328. I caught one dirtbag pressed up against my windows the other night. He found out just how quickly things can become dangerous in a concealed carry state. "FYI, I saw who got out of that car and he was carrying a gun." Waited for him to walk away then entered the car...and yes, I carry daily.
See above post. Thanks for the response. I was planning on filing a police report.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Okay already have another update. I went to go inspect my car to see if anything changes by tomorrow. I found that same f**king grease all over the right side calipers and inner wheels. I cleaned my wheels meticulously last weekend and there wasn't any grease to speak of then, on the caliper or on the wheels. The smear by the valve stem is from me.
Ok...someone is definitely fucking with your car. That kind of thick grease doesn't just come out of no where. File a police report ASAP and get an IP camera from Amazon. Can you see the parking lot from your apartment complex?
Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50
      08-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #6
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Quote:
Ok...someone is definitely fucking with your car. That kind of thick grease doesn't just come out of no where. File a police report ASAP and get an IP camera from Amazon. Can you see the parking lot from your apartment complex?
It's a secured underground parking garage and there's only cameras in the staircase and elevator area, not close to my spot. I ordered a dash cam that has motion activated front and rear cameras and will be here tomorrow. This is getting good.

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
Dobiwallah
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2000 Z3 2L

Buy one of these stealth micro cameras and stick it to a wall somewhere. Make sure it can run for 12 hours or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
BryGuy11
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i coupe 6sp

So, who did you piss off recently? X girlfriend? That's what the cops 1st question will be. Any other cars being fucked with ? Act like you could've died (grease on brakes) so the police actually write all this shit down.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

That's what you get for living in Milwaukee! Honestly though, very weird. Probably a pissed off neighbor since it is a secure garage.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Once you find out who this is, inject a tube of that same grease in their mouth.

Putting that shit on your brakes is going too far.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 08-14-2018 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Just an assumption, but I'm guessing someone is not a fan of your exhaust. At first I want to say this sounds like something a female would do, as men will usually just confront you about whatever they are upset about; however I don't know of any women that just happen to have a grease gun (especially CV) laying around. Do you have any service trucks (work type vehicles) that park in your garage or are any of your neighbors mechanics?

Do you have anywhere close by that you could set something like this up?

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Wi...y+camera&psc=1

I'm the type of person that would try to catch them on camera and instead of notifying the police, it would be all out war. Keep us posted.

Last edited by King Rudi; 08-14-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Probably someone else who parks in that garage and thinks you're in "their" spot.
      08-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
BryGuy11
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i coupe 6sp

I'm the type of person that would try to catch them on camera and instead of notifying the police, it would be all out war. Keep us posted.
Last edited by Not_Judy; Today at 09:23 AM.

You ever see "Fear thy neighbor" that shit escalates quick and peeps start filming each other, than fucking with property more often, police get tired of the constant calls, then one party starts packing, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd wind up back in jail, my philosophy is Never Fuk with a man's car, his food or his girl. YES in order of importance !!!
Appreciate 4
      08-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

Yep clearly malicious at this point. Looks like he/she was trying to get you to sling grease all over the side of your car...

At this point I would borrow a friend's car or call up one of the boys to come do a steak out in the parking garage. Park your car far enough away not to be noticed. Bring gloves, ski mask and a bat. Someone is about to learn a life lesson not to F with someone's car.
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13154.00
tcphoto3523.50
MTK24484.50
      08-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy11 View Post

You ever see "Fear thy neighbor" that shit escalates quick and peeps start filming each other, than fucking with property more often, police get tired of the constant calls, then one party starts packing, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd wind up back in jail, my philosophy is Never Fuk with a man's car, his food or his girl. YES in order of importance !!!
Valid point. I guess I'm just one of those people that uses my zodiac sign as an excuse to act like an asshole, I am a Scorpio though. It's all pinchers and a helluva deathstroke sting if you fuck up. Straight up character flaw on my end. I'm very compassionate and understanding but on the opposite end I used to be one of those people that would break my own neck to get back at someone that wronged me. Thankfully I'm a little older and less aggressive these days. Needless to say I used to stay in trouble quite a bit and a night in jail to leave a fool toothless because he needed to be taught a lesson was just part of it.

That's a pretty good philophy, and I can't disagree with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #16
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, who did you piss off recently? X girlfriend? That's what the cops 1st question will be. Any other cars being fucked with ? Act like you could've died (grease on brakes) so the police actually write all this shit down.
Definitely haven't pissed anybody off is the thing! I haven't event talked to anybody that lives here really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch10 View Post
That's what you get for living in Milwaukee! Honestly though, very weird. Probably a pissed off neighbor since it is a secure garage.
Haha right! Yeah I'm almost certain it's someone who lives in my building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Once you find out who this is, inject a tube of that same grease in their mouth.

Putting that shit on your brakes is going too far.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Just an assumption, but I'm guessing someone is not a fan of your exhaust. At first I want to say this sounds like something a female would do, as men will usually just confront you about whatever they are upset about; however I don't know of any women that just happen to have a grease gun (especially CV) laying around. Do you have any service trucks (work type vehicles) that park in your garage or are any of your neighbors mechanics?

Do you have anywhere close by that you could set something like this up?

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Wi...y+camera&psc=1

Yeah I'm really thinking it's the loud exhaust in the morning. I would setup a cam like that but there's no 120v outlets anywhere around my car so I'd have to rig up a battery system which wouldn't be tough but I'm thinking the f/r dashcam will work ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Probably someone else who parks in that garage and thinks you're in "their" spot.
I thought this could be the case but I've been parking in the same spot for over 3 months and this only started recently.

Quote:

I'm honestly really hoping they keep messing with me just so I can catch them on camera and give them the justice they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstreet86 View Post
Yep clearly malicious at this point. Looks like he/she was trying to get you to sling grease all over the side of your car...

At this point I would borrow a friend's car or call up one of the boys to come do a steak out in the parking garage. Park your car far enough away not to be noticed. Bring gloves, ski mask and a bat. Someone is about to learn a life lesson not to F with someone's car.
Well they partially succeeded, there's defintely some grease on the side from this crap on the wheels.

Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #17
ahlbe1cl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
I'm honestly really hoping they keep messing with me just so I can catch them on camera and give them the justice they deserve.
I'm interested to see how this pans out. Just out of curiousity, what type of justice would be suitable for someone who rubs grease on a car, and possibly sprinkles pebbles into a window channel?

Something to keep in mind, it's probably another car guy. Who, aside from a car guy, owns grease? Who in your neighborhood works on their own vehicle...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlbe1cl View Post
Quote:
I'm interested to see how this pans out. Just out of curiousity, what type of justice would be suitable for someone who rubs grease on a car, and possibly sprinkles pebbles into a window channel?

Something to keep in mind, it's probably another car guy. Who, aside from a car guy, owns grease? Who in your neighborhood works on their own vehicle...
I personally think they deserve some sort of fine for tampering/vandalism. Maybe a window replacement since it's a bad scratch.

My roommate and I were also thinking it could be a car person since having grease like that is very strange.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #19
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I think the idea of placing a camera outside the car is a great idea. You should be able to find one small enough that it can be concealed on a pillar or light fixture and then simply swap memory cards. I hope that you catch the person and let the Police take from there.
      08-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
MTK24
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

Someone is definitely fucking with you and vandalizing your car. If you don't do anything it will just get worst.

But they are doing it in a way with grease and bullshit making it seem it is 'car related' which makes filing a police report harder and for the cop to care less

Here are five steps for your situation.

1. Leave your car in the garage.

2. Set up a hidden wireless battery camera looking at your car.

3. Stay in close proximity.

4. When you see them going after your car you have good footage for cops.

5. Most important, cut off footage. Go to the garage and beat the living shit out of them. People need to learn a lesson to not fuck with other people's personal property.

By the way parking sensor/car dash cam won't do shit. You need a heed a hidden camera looking at your parking space
      08-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Honestly, a stake out would be more effective than going through the trouble of wiring up a camera to your car battery.

Get a friend with a minivan, take out the back seats, put a twin size air mattress in there and stake it out. Get the perp on camera doing it, then confront them and go to the police.

Lastly, sue them in small claims court for damages.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #22
PhilipUK
Going topless
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, MX-5, RCZ R

Garage List
Quote:
I proceeded to head to the gym for an hour [...] Limped back the 1 mile to my apt
Wait - you only live 1 mile from your gym and you drive there???