E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread

06-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #881
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
It's a sad state of affairs when I didn't notice those brakes in those photos over the gleaming garage and work bench.

The wheels will look sick covering those brakes as well

Edit
If you end up making offset bushes I'll take a set. I have the f30 brakes on the front with 370mm rotors and I haven't done the rears but I have m3 rear carriers. All I need is 5mm offset bushes for the front and a set of rotors and I'm M4 all round
      06-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #882
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Nice wheels.
Good buy on the brakes too.
Cheers Brendan, what' happening with your car lately? You started the ST build yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when I didn't notice those brakes in those photos over the gleaming garage and work bench.

The wheels will look sick covering those brakes as well

Edit
If you end up making offset bushes I'll take a set. I have the f30 brakes on the front with 370mm rotors and I haven't done the rears but I have m3 rear carriers. All I need is 5mm offset bushes for the front and a set of rotors and I'm M4 all round
Haha cheers, that's what I've been working on whilst my car has been in the shop for months.

Knocked up a custom workbench (6 metres wide x 0.9m deep) one side has a 1100mm high bench so my toolchest can be stored underneath and im pretty tall so it's a good work height for me, wacked some hardwood bluegum flooring on and varnished them, installed some LED DL's over the workbench, painted the walls and floor and got some new shelving in.

I'm 90% completed just got a few more bits and pieces to do, but I'm now ready for my car to come home!

Sure I'll let you know what I end up doing, and try to get a few set made up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      06-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #883
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Cheers Brendan, what' happening with your car lately? You started the ST build yet?

Haha cheers, that's what I've been working on whilst my car has been in the shop for months.

Knocked up a custom workbench (6 metres wide x 0.9m deep) one side has a 1100mm high bench so my toolchest can be stored underneath and im pretty tall so it's a good work height for me, wacked some hardwood bluegum flooring on and varnished them, installed some LED DL's over the workbench, painted the walls and floor and got some new shelving in.

I'm 90% completed just got a few more bits and pieces to do, but I'm now ready for my car to come home!

Sure I'll let you know what I end up doing, and try to get a few set made up.
The work area looks excellent Shane. Excellent job with plenty of bench area which is exactly what is required when you start pulling our cars apart. It looks like your dog is even missing your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #884
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Looks nice mate. Lovely garage space.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #885
kookie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Wow that garage is mint
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #886
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
The work area looks excellent Shane. Excellent job with plenty of bench area which is exactly what is required when you start pulling our cars apart. It looks like your dog is even missing your car.
Yeah exactly! I'll remain disciplined to not let crap build up on the benches and keep em clear for when those DIY jobs pop up.

Haha he does kinda look sad doesn't he, probably misses pissing on the wheels the lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mmm View Post
Looks nice mate. Lovely garage space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie View Post
Wow that garage is mint
Cheers guys, I'll be selling this house in 12 months time when the new house has been built if you want a nice garage
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #887
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

No work on the car.

When I start I will put photos up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #888
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Finally picked up my car yesterday!!

Being a complex buid it took a lot of time as my shop does oil changes 9-5 weekdays and works on race cars on the weekends so my car basically become an 'inbetweener'

I decided on a VRSF race FMIC since I was getting custom aluminium outlets fabricated. Decided on a custom charge pipe also with a vibrant HD clamp on the throttle body (the oem c clip can pop off occasionally) so basically the entire hot side and cold side charge pipes were custom.

While the subframe is dropped and steering rack, figured might as well slip in a M3 steering rack, oh and do the oil pan gasket. Since the trans was dropped for a Spec stage 2+ clutch & SMF decided to do the rear main seal, shifter refresh (I already had UUC SSK) with a new fork selector rear carrier bushing, delrin oval bushings, clips using motul trans fluid and nulon smooth shift additive.

Since the trans was out it also makes it easy to access the starter motor, so dropped in a fresh one, had the inlet manifold tapped for a high flow 6mm vac line to the TS raceport BOV (fitted with an orange spring) oh and a new LPFP sensor also. My OEM MAP sensor clip was broken (some hack who'd worked on the car previously) so it was upgraded for a new 3.5bar map sensor and harness from BMS and will allow tuning past 20psi+.

I had VTT silicon inlets and the fitment across the front of the motor is tight.. It doesn't help that I have a thicker than OEM CSF radiator, so it was decided to cut the inlet and install a hardpipe section which has an OD the same as the silicon ID to aid with clearance to avoid having the silicon inlet chewed up by the pulleys or rubbing against the belts..

I had decided to upgrade to the stiffer 60A TMS motor mounts.Obviously these slotted straight in whilst everything was apart. On startup you can feel the positive engagement of the mount as soon as the engine cranks over. NVH was definatley there but raising the idle in MHD it is a huge improvement!

Whilst control arms were dropped to remove subframe etc, I had a set of GAS monoball control arm mounts pressed in.

The plan is to wack some ohlins coilovers in I have waiting, some ZE40's shod with AD08R's shall arrive this week hopefully (been waiting 3.5 months for custom order from rays)

I'd purchased a set of F8X ///M rotors and calipers. The front calipers werent pnp on my M3 hub (but the rears are) and I was intending to have some adapters designed. But when I thought about it would probably cost me $1000 or so to do.. These calipers are popular with the E46 M3 guys, so I sold them and for another $1700 or so I'll run the 6 pot monobloc brembo's from slonik on the F8X ///M 380mm rotors.

So I'll install 380mm 370mm F8X F&R ///M rotors with rear F8X brembo calipers & Slonik 6 pot brembo's up front.

Ive done about 150 kays so far once the clutch has had 1000 kays use I'll then start tuning her on DI running E30-E40 !
Attached Images

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 09-26-2018 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 3
Socket4524.50
gmx166.00
      09-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #889
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Massive overhaul and such a long drawn out wait to get it done
So glad its back home and on the road again

You always do your build right mate, quality parts and attention to detail make this one of the best E92s on the road.

Always looks like it just rolled out of the showroom, can't wait to see it with the new Rays on when they arrive

How are you finding the spec 2+ clutch?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #890
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Massive overhaul and such a long drawn out wait to get it done
So glad its back home and on the road again

You always do your build right mate, quality parts and attention to detail make this one of the best E92s on the road.

Always looks like it just rolled out of the showroom, can't wait to see it with the new Rays on when they arrive

How are you finding the spec 2+ clutch?
Just wish I could have been baller to go ST like you and had a yoda here in newwy!

I like the clutch TBH, but its certainly not as nice as the 550i..

I've noticed the bite point on the clutch is vague.. It doesn't feel that distinct to me.. I might have to try bleeding the clutch or maybe it just needs a few more miles on it. It's been so long since Ive driven the car but the clutch need a few more revs than what I remember to get a smooth engagement?

Definately seems like I need more time to nut out my technique, you cant just jump in it and have it perform nice and smooth like the 550i.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #891
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Finally picked up my car yesterday!!

Being a complex buid it took a lot of time as my shop does oil changes 9-5 weekdays and works on race cars on the weekends so my car basically become an 'inbetweener'

I decided on a VRSF race FMIC since I was getting custom aluminium outlets fabricated. Decided on a custom charge pipe also with a vibrant HD clamp on the throttle body (the oem c clip can pop off occasionally) so basically the entire hot side and cold side charge pipes were custom.

While the subframe is dropped and steering rack, figured might as well slip in a M3 steering rack, oh and do the oil pan gasket. Since the trans was dropped for a Spec stage 2+ clutch & SMF decided to do a shifter refresh (I already had UUC SSK) with a new fork selector rear carrier bushing, delrin oval bushings, clips using motul trans fluid and nulon smooth shift additive.

Since the trans was out it also makes it easy to access the starter motor, so dropped in a fresh one, had the inlet manifold tapped for a high flow 6mm vac line to the TS raceport BOV (fitted with an orange spring) oh and a new LPFP sensor also. My OEM MAP sensor clip was broken (some hack who'd worked on the car previously) so it was upgraded for a new 3.5bar map sensor and harness from BMS and will allow tuning past 20psi+.

I had VTT silicon inlets and the fitment across the front of the motor is tight.. It doesn't help that I have a thicker than OEM CSF radiator, so it was decided to cut the inlet and install a hardpipe section which has an OD the same as the silicon ID to aid with clearance to avoid having the silicon inlet chewed up by the pulleys or rubbing against the belts..

I had decided to upgrade to the stiffer 60A TMS motor mounts.Obviously these slotted straight in whilst everything was apart. On startup you can feel the positive engagement of the mount as soon as the engine cranks over. NVH was definatley there but raising the idle in MHD it is a huge improvement!

Whilst control arms were dropped to remove subframe etc, I had a set of GAS monoball control arm mounts pressed in.

The plan is to wack some ohlins coilovers in I have waiting, some ZE40's shod with AD08R's shall arrive this week hopefully (been waiting 3.5 months for custom order from rays)

I'd purchased a set of F8X ///M rotors and calipers. The front calipers werent pnp on my M3 hub (but the rears arse) and was intending to have some adapters designed. But when I thought about it would probably cost me $1000 or so to do.. These calipers are popular with the E46 M3 guys, so I sold them and for another $1700 or so I'll run the 6 pot monobloc brembo's from slonik

[IMG]https://pp.userapi.com/c846321/v8463...7zkSrhF0P0.jpg[/IMG]

So I'll install 380mm 370mm F8X F&R ///M rotors with rear F8X brembo calipers & Slonik 6 pot brembo's up front.

Ive done about 150 kays so far once the clutch has had 1000 kays use I'll then start tuning her on DI running E30-E40 !
Great to see you got your car back on the road Shane. You certainly had plenty done to it. The aluminium outlets look good . It must have been tight getting around the engine side of the steering shaft. I thought you were going to install the M3 steering shaft. What diameter pipe are the outlets? I didn't see it mentioned but I thought you were installing the VTT turbos while it was off the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #892
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Great to see you got your car back on the road Shane. You certainly had plenty done to it. The aluminium outlets look good . It must have been tight getting around the engine side of the steering shaft. I thought you were going to install the M3 steering shaft. What diameter pipe are the outlets? I didn't see it mentioned but I thought you were installing the VTT turbos while it was off the road.
I had the M3 steering shaft, but I recall him saying he had the 335i one in when I spoke to him a while back when he was still fabricating/finalising the outlets. He may have fabbed up outlet with 335i rack in place then realised m3 shaft wont fit? And hence installed M3 rack and slipped 335i shaft on it? (I'll have to check with him)

I'll have to check the pipe dia, we initially discussed 1.5" off the turbos (2" would effect transient throttle response and well there's not much room)

Yeah the VTT turbo's are in hence the custom outlets

200 km's done, only 800 more kays to go before I can feed them some boost!

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 09-25-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #893
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
I had the M3 steering shaft, but I recall him saying he had the 335i one in when I spoke to him a while back when he was still fabricating/finalising the outlets. He may have fabbed up outlet with 335i rack in place then realised m3 shaft wont fit? And hence installed M3 rack and slipped 335i shaft on it? (I'll have to check with him)

I'll have to check the pipe dia, we initially discussed 1.5" off the turbos (2" would effect transient throttle response and well there's not much room)

have you decided who is going to do your tune yet Shane?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #894
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
have you decided who is going to do your tune yet Shane?
He has a beard and his name is Tim
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #895
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
He has a beard and his name is Tim
Oh TBT tune
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #896
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Nice garage setup, bet you are loving having the car home
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #897
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:

It appears by the photo that the rear outlet has plenty of clearance from the 335 steering shaft so there is really no advantage running the M3 item. You should feel a big performance gain when you unleash the new turbos. Especially, at the top of the rev range.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #898
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Well done Doc...
Now bring TKO335 down to Melbourne and test her out. There is no better place
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:41 AM   #899
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Nice garage setup, bet you are loving having the car home
Yeah it's great to finally get her back still kinda bittersweet as I have a few niggly things to iron out, and running around on the OEM rims is killing me it looks like a nugget haha

Quote:
It appears by the photo that the rear outlet has plenty of clearance from the 335 steering shaft so there is really no advantage running the M3 item. You should feel a big performance gain when you unleash the new turbos. Especially, at the top of the rev range.
Yeah thats true. The M3 item is a billet piece so look kinda nice but meh I dont have a showcar engine bay and you can barely see it anyway! TBH I didnt notice it until you had pointed it out!! yeh I'm itching to ink the slipper in to see how it goes! I gave it a tiny snap at 3k rpm yesterday and it done SFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator335i View Post
Well done Doc...
Now bring TKO335 down to Melbourne and test her out. There is no better place
That's the grand plan I'll see how I go with getting the car tuned and setup, and it's my daughter bday in Nov and how were tracking for plans setting up for her bday party...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:51 AM   #900
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Good to see you got some upgraded turbos in and the other mods on.

When you up the timing and boost with a bit of e85 you will lol at stock turbos.

Your car is one of the best in Aus. Good job.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #901
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Good to see you got some upgraded turbos in and the other mods on.

When you up the timing and boost with a bit of e85 you will lol at stock turbos.

Your car is one of the best in Aus. Good job.
I agree Brule. One of the best of the breed, with compromises the way I like em... none !

Speaking of which.... time to update your build thread. I'm curious as to what you're up to.
      10-02-2018, 06:59 AM   #902
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

After buying the ohlins coilovers almost 6 months ago I fonally got around to installing them! (purchased from harold HPA in the USA)

Massive thanks to titium for helping me install them! (& vtl & PeterY for their technical advice!!)

This round of mods has transformed the car on a complete new level!

In addition to the ohlins ive had the GAS monoballs, ground control camber plates, M3 steering rack installed (I have a complete ///M3 driveline with LSD etc etc) and the alignment dialled in by Shane @ 3eleven motorsport with corner balance (I only managed to get the before pic corner weight spec as my phone ran outta batteries for final corner weight spec)

Cant wait before I can fit the new rims and tyres (currently on oem rims and RFT's) to fully maximise the potential of this round of chassis mods!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Pete.J320.00
vtl1492.00