E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help reflashing ECU to stock with WinKFP

09-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #23
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocchius View Post
So i updated datens and ran it again.. it got to 88%, which is the furthest it's gotten, but unfortunately died. I ordered a new cable so will try that again tomorrow.
Thanks again!
I recommend the bimmergeeks pro cable or one from amazon with a switch
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #24
scocchius
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2014 x5

Well it turns out that my problem, embarrassingly, was power. I was using an older laptop and I guess it didn't have enough juice by battery alone. Once I plugged the laptop in, the flash finished successfully (I also adjusted the transmission rates on the cable, but I don't think that actually did anything).

So at this point the car is back where it was before. The adaptive headlight error is still coming up on the dash. I tried to use NCS Expert to fix that, but it told me "invalid VIN" (or something to that effect- i didn't take a screenshot- which is what it was doing before that led me down the WINKFP route)..

any idea on what to do at this point?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:24 AM   #25
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well it turns out that my problem, embarrassingly, was power. I was using an older laptop and I guess it didn't have enough juice by battery alone. Once I plugged the laptop in, the flash finished successfully (I also adjusted the transmission rates on the cable, but I don't think that actually did anything).

So at this point the car is back where it was before. The adaptive headlight error is still coming up on the dash. I tried to use NCS Expert to fix that, but it told me "invalid VIN" (or something to that effect- i didn't take a screenshot- which is what it was doing before that led me down the WINKFP route)..

any idea on what to do at this point?
Does this come up when you default code LSMC and RSMC? What steps are you taking in ncs expert?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #26
scocchius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Does this come up when you default code LSMC and RSMC? What steps are you taking in ncs expert?
These are the steps:

Code:
1.open NCS expert
2.File-Load profile
3.select EXPERMODE
4.press F1
5.press F3
6.select E89<for E90>
7.press BACK
8.press F3<CHOOSE ECU>
9.select NFRM
10.select FA_WRITE from CHANGE JOB
11.press F3<EXECUTE JOB>
I selected NFRM from the list (there were 3 things in the list, the first was CAS, I don't remember the other offhand).

Is there a way I can verify that the VIN was written to the adaptive headlight module (it's used so maybe there's some problem on that end)...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
These are the steps:

Code:
1.open NCS expert
2.File-Load profile
3.select EXPERMODE
4.press F1
5.press F3
6.select E89<for E90>
7.press BACK
8.press F3<CHOOSE ECU>
9.select NFRM
10.select FA_WRITE from CHANGE JOB
11.press F3<EXECUTE JOB>
I selected NFRM from the list (there were 3 things in the list, the first was CAS, I don't remember the other offhand).

Is there a way I can verify that the VIN was written to the adaptive headlight module (it's used so maybe there's some problem on that end)...

Thanks!
You are not following the correct steps. The adaptive modules have their own modules and you aren't even coding or choosing the correct module. What side module did you replace? Go into ncs expert:

F1
F3 e89
Choose CAS
F6 back
F4 process ecu
Choose LSMC if you replaced left side adaptive module or RSMC if you replaced the right side adaptive module
F3 SG Codieren

If the adaptive module you installed is functioning then this will code it to the car. If it fails then the adaptive module you installed is most likely not working.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #28
scocchius
Rep

Quote:
You are not following the correct steps. The adaptive modules have their own modules and you aren't even coding or choosing the correct module. What side module did you replace? Go into ncs expert:

F1
F3 e89
Choose CAS
F6 back
F4 process ecu
Choose LSMC if you replaced left side adaptive module or RSMC if you replaced the right side adaptive module
F3 SG Codieren

If the adaptive module you installed is functioning then this will code it to the car. If it fails then the adaptive module you installed is most likely not working.
eh well that would make sense. It's the left side.
I will give this a shot and hopefully it'll do it (might not have a chance for a few days though)

Should the ignition be on (with car not running) or off when I do this? I read somewhere that when you do "CAS" the ignition should be off...

Thanks so much, really appreciate it! I thought I had all the steps down from what I found on other forum posts, but clearly not...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #29
scocchius
Rep

And the saga continues....
I gave it a shot with the steps above and got the error in the screenshot here.

Does this seem like a cable problem or a software problem at this point (or both)?

The first time I ran ncs expert (after the successful flash via winkfp), I got an error about the VIN. This time, all I got was this error that suggests a connectivity problem. INPA works fine though and I rebooted the computer, fiddled with the USB settings (still com1 and latency 1 though), but every time I got this same error...

While I'm happy that the car is at least back to the point it was when I started this, I'd like to get rid of the adaptive headlight error one way or another (either by programming this module correctly, assuming it's good, or just coding the feature out of the car entirely which doesn't sound like it's terribly hard to do but I'm leery now ).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #30
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Does this seem like a cable problem or a software problem at this point (or both)?

The first time I ran ncs expert (after the successful flash via winkfp), I got an error about the VIN. This time, all I got was this error that suggests a connectivity problem. INPA works fine though and I rebooted the computer, fiddled with the USB settings (still com1 and latency 1 though), but every time I got this same error...

While I'm happy that the car is at least back to the point it was when I started this, I'd like to get rid of the adaptive headlight error one way or another (either by programming this module correctly, assuming it's good, or just coding the feature out of the car entirely which doesn't sound like it's terribly hard to do but I'm leery now ).

Thanks
To code it out, remove $524 from VO, FA write to NFRM. Go to NFRM and default code it with blank MAN profile.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #31
scocchius
Rep

Quote:
To code it out, remove $524 from VO, FA write to NFRM. Go to NFRM and default code it with blank MAN profile.
Thanks!
I just ordered the cable from bimmergeeks so I will give that a shot and if I don't have any luck, I'll try to code it out...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:21 AM   #32
Vikkk01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 20d 177bhp Facelift

Hi ! Do you have a diy guide for flashing ecu back to stock with winkfp?
I have a tuned ecu and want to get it back to stock
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #33
Sogust
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Do you have ISTA installed? If not, go to bimmergeeks.net/downloads and install rheingold. After it's done installing run a full scan and post up the ecu tree, want to see if frm is stuck in programming abort or not responding at all. What's your cars build date? Don't quote me but I believe frmpl2 is frm1, is your build date is 03/07+ you should choose frm2 in ecu list.
Hey! Im new to this forum. Just purchased a 2008 bmw 335xi and am having similar issues with the programming abort with the FRM which got jacked when I tried to update. My email is stevetsalas11@gmail.com, I have no idea on how to PM someone on here so if you can send me an email that would be great and possibly help me out. Would really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #34
KevinE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by balxoscar View Post
Update: Problem fixed. I flashed ecu back to stock with winkfp

If anyone has any similar issues, feel free to pm, I'll help with what I've learned.

Might do a diy guide tailored to noobies with little programming experience as myself.

Pro tip: Don't use BB flashing software, go mhd
Im having the same issue keeps saying in winkfp Set Ecu adress or something can u help
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:55 AM   #35
sawier
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e87

Quote:

Thanks
Hello I am having the same error with my e87 trying to code the new module, did you figure it out what was the issue?
Appreciate 0