E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 6HP19 high Adaptation Values – anyone had success?

08-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #1
dman335
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

6HP19 high Adaptation Values – anyone had success?

I have a 6HP19 transmission which has done less than 80,000miles. It drives well overall, but I have noticed that the shifts from 2nd to 3rd aren’t very smooth. Additionally, sometimes when coming to a stop the car jerks forward slightly and it feels like someone has rear-ended me.

I used the XHP app to check my adaptation values and was content with all my values except for Clutch A. Clutch A had a quickcharge pressure of 500mbar and a quickcharge time of 43ms.
I was planning on doing a transmission service (changing seals and fluid) and then loading the XHP Stage 3 tune (I also plan on doing a FBO stage 2+ build). However, after seeing these values I’m not sure how confident I am in this transmission.

Has anyone had experience with high adaptation values? Did you change the seals and reset adaptations and have any success? Would replacing the solenoids be essential?
I don’t want to put a lot of money into this only to have it fail/start slipping on me.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Have a read through this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...aptation+value

Edit: I see you already posted in it....
      08-23-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
dman335
Rep

Yep Im hoping to find out the results of a transmission service+reset on the adaptation values in the long term!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:21 AM   #4
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman335 View Post
I have a 6HP19 transmission which has done less than 80,000miles. It drives well overall, but I have noticed that the shifts from 2nd to 3rd aren’t very smooth. Additionally, sometimes when coming to a stop the car jerks forward slightly and it feels like someone has rear-ended me.

I used the XHP app to check my adaptation values and was content with all my values except for Clutch A. Clutch A had a quickcharge pressure of 500mbar and a quickcharge time of 43ms.
I was planning on doing a transmission service (changing seals and fluid) and then loading the XHP Stage 3 tune (I also plan on doing a FBO stage 2+ build). However, after seeing these values I’m not sure how confident I am in this transmission.

Has anyone had experience with high adaptation values? Did you change the seals and reset adaptations and have any success? Would replacing the solenoids be essential?
I don’t want to put a lot of money into this only to have it fail/start slipping on me.
Thanks
Do transmission service, seals, fluid including Solenoids,

Replacing transmission Solenoids is not essential but makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I had the same problem.....your adaptations could be high because you have a bad solenoid or a leaking seal. It's much cheaper to service the transmission that pay $3k for a rebuild.

DON'T reset the adaptations, it's could cause you more problems. Like others have said, do a service on the transmission...change the fluid and filter pan, the sleeve seals, the double D seal, and change the shift solenoids. Then drive the car for 500 miles or so and the transmission will adjust the adaptations for the new solenoids. Unless you do a full rebuild ...NEVER reset your adaptations. This is coming from ZF and other shops that specialize in ZF transmissions.

I also had slipping in 5th gear, and the new solenoids solved that issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I had the same problem.....your adaptations could be high because you have a bad solenoid or a leaking seal. It's much cheaper to service the transmission that pay $3k for a rebuild.

DON'T reset the adaptations, it's could cause you more problems. Like others have said, do a service on the transmission...change the fluid and filter pan, the sleeve seals, the double D seal, and change the shift solenoids. Then drive the car for 500 miles or so and the transmission will adjust the adaptations for the new solenoids. Unless you do a full rebuild ...NEVER reset your adaptations. This is coming from ZF and other shops that specialize in ZF transmissions.

I think every shop has their own opinion on this so i would never say never.
I had a fluid/transmission service done 6 months ago. The shop i used specialized in German cars and ZF transmissions.
I was having an awful shift between 3-4. Would almost throw me forward before going into 4th gear. Had the service done and the shop reset the adaptions. My transmission is now the smoothest it has ever been and completely solved my issue. Just my experience.
      08-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm just going off of what the tech from ZF told me. Also, if you read what xHP says adaptations..they say the same thing. Never reset them.

Your transmission will adjust adaptations without you resetting them.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

My indy reset the adaptations after changing my transmission fluid and pan about a year ago.

I indicated to him that I read on forums that this was not the recommended procedure, but he did it anyways.

The car shifted horribly for the first 50 miles, but by 100 miles it was back to normal shifting as adaptations took effect.

All my transmission adaptation values returned to the same numbers as before the fluid flush.

I get the impression that adaptations compensate for clutch wear......similar to what happens when your brake pads wear down over time.....the car compensates pedal travel to keep things feeling smooth and normal.

So in my case.....it didn't do any harm and ended back at the same adaptation values appropriate for my clutch wear.

If I do a fluid change again, I won't reset the adaptations.....but in my case it did no harm.

I have read that if your clutches are really marginal and you change the fluid and reset adaptations - you can render the tranny useless. But then again, it was probably on it's last legs anyways if that happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes....the whole point is to compensate for wear of hard parts (friction, clutch plates, valve body piston seals, etc). Unless you do a full rebuild, there really isn't any point.

Sure, most people don't have issues...but some do. Why risk it when it doesn't accomplish anything?

Like you said ...the adaptations will go right back to where the transmission wants them. Resetting them only throws the whole system out of adjustment for several hundred miles while it relearns...causing added wear and tear on the transmission clutches.

I figure that when the people that make the transmission (ZF) tell you not to reset them, and the people that wrote the software to tune them (xHP) tell you not to reset the.....it's better off not to reset them.

But hey....if people want to listen to some random internet expert in his parents basement when he says "you should reset your adaptations every time you change your fluid"......go for it 👍 I'm going to listen to the real experts.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #10
dman335
Rep

Quote:

Awesome, I was looking for anecdotal evidence like this! Do you happen to have the adaptation values from before and after the transmission service?

I have also seen warnings against resetting the adaptations but I was thinking that it would be appropriate in this context considering the new solenoids.
I was looking at this: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6
But if it will appropriately adjust anyways then its probably not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #11
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, I was looking for anecdotal evidence like this! Do you happen to have the adaptation values from before and after the transmission service?

I have also seen warnings against resetting the adaptations but I was thinking that it would be appropriate in this context considering the new solenoids.
I was looking at this: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6
But if it will appropriately adjust anyways then its probably not worth the risk.
Yep, I was told by ZF, xHP, and Erikson Transmission (they specialize in rebuilding ZF's)...DON'T reset the adaptations unless you are doing a full rebuilt. They said that after I change the solenoids, just drive it and the transmission will automatically adjust the adaptations.

Before the service and new solenoids....

Clutch Time Pressure
A 22 293
B -4 206
C 33 50
D 0 -174
E 33 150

After the service and new solenoids....(it dropped the pressure on the B and E clutch). I'm guessing those two solenoids weren't flowing as much fluid as they were supposed to.

Clutch Time Pressure
A 22 293
B -4 176
C 33 50
D 0 -174
E 51 -120

It took me a good 500+ miles of driving before the transmission shifting smoothed out with the new solenoids....at first it would go into reverse kind of hard, and downshift into 3rd hard when slowing down. They said it would relearn faster if you did a lot of city driving when it's shifting up and down through the gears alot, but I do mostly highway...so that's probably why it took a little longer.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #12
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

just did a whole service to my trans, adaptations were reset, no issues. car has never shifted better.

there is a soft reset and a hard reset, you do the soft reset.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
just did a whole service to my trans, adaptations were reset, no issues. car has never shifted better.

Soft/hard reset? First I've ever heard of this...ever. More details please??
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #14
dman335
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I was told by ZF, xHP, and Erikson Transmission (they specialize in rebuilding ZF's)...DON'T reset the adaptations unless you are doing a full rebuilt. They said that after I change the solenoids, just drive it and the transmission will automatically adjust the adaptations.

Before the service and new solenoids....

Clutch Time Pressure
A 22 293
B -4 206
C 33 50
D 0 -174
E 33 150

After the service and new solenoids....(it dropped the pressure on the B and E clutch). I'm guessing those two solenoids weren't flowing as much fluid as they were supposed to.

Clutch Time Pressure
A 22 293
B -4 176
C 33 50
D 0 -174
E 51 -120

It took me a good 500+ miles of driving before the transmission shifting smoothed out with the new solenoids....at first it would go into reverse kind of hard, and downshift into 3rd hard when slowing down. They said it would relearn faster if you did a lot of city driving when it's shifting up and down through the gears alot, but I do mostly highway...so that's probably why it took a little longer.
Interesting, I expected to see a bigger difference in the values. Thanks for providing those values, its good to know what to expect.

Quote:

Are you referring to the throttle body adaptation reset as the soft reset?
Thats the only thing I can think of here.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #15
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Can you give some more details on this "soft" and "hard" reset??? I've searched online, and haven't been able to find any info on a "soft" reset.....none. ZF and XHP don't mention a "soft" reset. When I emailed the ZF techs, they have no idea what a "soft" reset is. No tech bulletins mention a "soft" reset. Nobody on any forums I've searched mention a "soft" reset. Not sure where you are getting this info from.....details please!!

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:23 AM   #16
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Can you give some more details on this "soft" and "hard" reset??? I've searched online, and haven't been able to find any info on a "soft" reset.....none. ZF and XHP don't mention a "soft" reset. When I emailed the ZF techs, they have no idea what a "soft" reset is. No tech bulletins mention a "soft" reset. Nobody on any forums I've searched mention a "soft" reset. Not sure where you are getting this info from.....details please!!

From the only person I trust regarding this transmission, rod sutphin. Here is a screenshot where he explained it a bit.

I'll also include the process that needs to be followed in case of a hard reset

Quote:

Are you referring to the throttle body adaptation reset as the soft reset?
Thats the only thing I can think of here.
No
Attached Images

Last edited by type-dRew; 08-26-2020 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok...so you need to use ISTA or Protocol? Interesting.....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #18
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I know my old Procede and also Bavarian Technic software had a soft reset option where it resets the learning your DME has adapted to your driving style and does not impact the TCU software.

The hard reset you need INPA, Autologic or dealer software at least. I could be wrong here, but I think this level of reset is performed at the TCU level, not just the DME.

This resets adaptations for hardware/mechanical changes like clutches and I would assume the shift solenoids as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #19
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I know my old Procede and also Bavarian Technic software had a soft reset option where it resets the learning your DME has adapted to your driving style and does not impact the TCU software.

The hard reset you need INPA, Autologic or dealer software at least. I could be wrong here, but I think this level of reset is performed at the TCU level, not just the DME.

This resets adaptations for hardware/mechanical changes like clutches and I would assume the shift solenoids as well.
i changed my transmission, solenoids, mechatronics unit, solenoids, fluids, seals, etc and the soft reset was done. car drives great.

yes this is a soft reset for the tcu, not the dme.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #20
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post

I believe that's the throttle body reset
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:51 AM   #21
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
i changed my transmission, solenoids, mechatronics unit, solenoids, fluids, seals, etc and the soft reset was done. car drives great.

yes this is a soft reset for the tcu, not the dme.
How do you do a Soft Reset using Protool?

First time I've heard of this.

I've changed fluids, pan and filter, sleeves and seals etc
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #22
dman335
Rep

^Yes I'd love to know too.

Is anyone able to shed some light on how to actually do a soft reset of the transmission using ISTA, Protool or another software?
Appreciate 0