E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E9X rear view mirror mount compatibility?

11-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
davedNconfused
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT Slicktop

E9X rear view mirror mount compatibility?

I purchased a homelink mirror for my non-premium 2009 E90. I did the wiring necessary according to the Final Homelink Retrofit Guide (and hardwired my Valentine at the same time-yay!) but when it came time to attach the new mirror to the windshield, I noticed that the attachment piece was different.

In this shot the upper one is my stock mirror (with the attachment plate removed) and the bottom mirror is the one I bought used and was planning on installing.

The shot below shows my stock mirror with the attachment plate installed. This is how it looked when I took it off the windshield. It wasn’t necessary to remove it, I was just trying to find out if there was a way to retrofit the new mirror.

Does anyone know what model and year mirrors have the same attachment as my stock one (with the three tension bars)? Is it just the E9X platform or others? (Not counting E93 for other compatibility reasons.) Do all E9X mirrors mount like my stock one? Would love to hear from you if you know as I'm looking for a new mirror now. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
longhorn335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

^I ran into the exact same issue. What I did, is I removed the ring shaped cover plate on my old mirror, and those 3 pins that form a triangle. I drilled the bolt holes on it a little to make the hole wider, that way you can fit it on the new mirror. On the new mirror, you also need to grind/saw off that little protruding piece so the plate can sit flush. Then assemble it with the 3 pins, then the plate, and glue. I used gorilla glue. Hope this helps.
One downside is, I wanted to sell my old mirror, and now is incomplete, no big deal, since the new mirror w compass and homelink was cheap
      11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
davedNconfused
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for sharing this. I took the two mirrors apart to see if I could swap the necessary parts (won't work) but I hadn't thought about using glue. It may be worth trying before spending more money on another mirror.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
davedNconfused
Private First Class
Rep

Update for anyone who's in the same situation.

Turns out that even though the design is different, it still mounts up the same. Just get it in the right position and carefully twist it on. Can't believe I didn't try it originally. Glad I didn't modify it. Everything works now!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

I am glad I found this thread. I ran into this situation yesterday. I didn't occur to me that the mounting bracket on the new-to-me mirror would be different from the one that came with the car (lesson learned).

I'm glad to hear you were able to successfully attach the mirror to the existing windshield mount. I tried several times and could not get the tabs to line. I was moderate in applying force not wanting to break the windshield.

Having read this, I'll give it another go. If that doesn't work, I give longhorn335's approach a shot.

Last edited by Operator Mo; 04-19-2015 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Brevity
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Operator Mo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: 2014 335i X-Drive

Thanks OP. I got the mirror mounted.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:45 AM   #7
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedNconfused View Post
Update for anyone who's in the same situation.

Turns out that even though the design is different, it still mounts up the same. Just get it in the right position and carefully twist it on. Can't believe I didn't try it originally. Glad I didn't modify it. Everything works now!
Thanks for your post. I was about to give up until I saw this thread. In my case I had to cut off the tab pictured here to successfully mount the mirror. I simply twisted the tab back and forth using a long nose pliers until it nipped off nicely right at its base.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0