E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

06-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #199
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

look in the trunk- pull the floor panel out and check for a big wiring harness on the passenger side or leading to the passenger side- if it is not there or if you dont have multiple wiring harnesses then you dont have prewiring
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #200
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepaper View Post
Hi guys,

I've just bought a used 2009 335i but it doesn't come with bluetooth. I think it has the prewiring, but I called 4 dealership and they say they can't install bluetooth in my car?? I emailed bimmernav and they say to order their retrofit kit, but was wonder how I would make it work if the dealership doesn't want to do it or say it's not possible?
I live in Orange county, CA if anyone knows a dealership that would be willing to program it let me know I think I would be ordering the kit if it's doable.

thanks
What's the production date of your 09 335? If it is 03/2009 or after, you won't have the prewiring. Do you have the USB/IPod options?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #201
ricepaper
Rep
Drives: 335I 2009

I checked the trunk it does have wiring cables that is not connected to anything. I think my production date is after 3/2009. I have ipod/usb installed. and pre-wiring for car alarm? don't know if that's the wiring in the trunk. will take picture an post if needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #202
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

there has to be more than one set of wires to have phone pre-wiring. the phone wiring will be 3 different groups of cables- one with a green and black fiber optic cable into a black plastic plug, one with a bundle of wires (wrapped together) going into an SES jumper connector (rectangualr, about 2 inches by .75 inches) and then three or four cables to connectors are marked by color- white, blue, purple and black if you have all four of them, missing one of those colors if you have just three of them
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #203
jimk
Captain
Rep

You can code the USB module (MULF2) for bluetooth. Problem is you have to find an Autologic equiped shop to do it as the dealer won't do it. Then, you have to change some pins in the wiring and add an antenna and a mic. Do a search and you'll find out more.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #204
ricepaper
Rep

sounds complicated. any suggestion to where to get it recoded? or better off buying tcu unit?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_a7zydThJCEE/TA...s640/MULF2.jpg

WIRES:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_a7zydThJCEE/TA...AND%20WIRE.jpg
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #205
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

those don't look like the right wires for the phone- I think those are sat radio prep and that you dont have phone prep
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #206
jimk
Captain
Rep

Quote:
sounds complicated. any suggestion to where to get it recoded? or better off buying tcu unit?

WIRES:

The TCU won't work because you don't have the proper wiring. You can go the mObridge route but you'd loose the USB. Still, you'd have to code the vehicle with AutoLogic for ULF while the MULF2 (USB) is connected, then disconnect the MULF2 and connect the mObridge. I have a mObridge BT1000 that I currently use that soon will be up for sale. Let me know if there's any interest.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #207
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

WIRES:
The wiring you have pictured is for Satellite radio.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #208
ricepaper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The wiring you have pictured is for Satellite radio.
Guess i would have to go w/ the non-factory option. I Love my USB option if I recode like Jimk state i would lose the usb that would be sad.

any opinion on the plain plug n play bluetooth from
http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=411
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #209
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Guess i would have to go w/ the non-factory option. I Love my USB option if I recode like Jimk state i would lose the usb that would be sad.

any opinion on the plain plug n play bluetooth from
http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=411
I would advise checking the mObridge options on our site, which emulate the factory TCU fully and support more phones.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #210
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Sorry but it is mentionned in the first page that all US cars have phone prep, is this the case also for Canadian cars???
      06-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #211
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

I believe in 09 (could be late 08 production as well) they stopped doing that.

Best thing is to get your last 7 digits of your vin, call Laval or Canbec and ask parts guys to tell you if they see "SA640" option listed.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #212
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
I bought a TCU module off a local member for $200CAD and asked my dealer to see if my MY06 Sept build will work with the TCU. I was provided with the TCU module, the bluetooth antenna and the mic when I bought it.

Since my car has Premium pack with the telephone prep (Canadian spec 328xi), they managed to get it to work. However, I was told I will get an error at startup because I don't have the overhead console with the SOS/telemetic button. The dealer is ordering me the trunk TCU holder, which is $25 to keep the module from moving in the trunk. Total cost, including the TCU that I sourced myself, plus labour will come to probably $850 CAD at my dealer. It is a 5 hour labour charge for the install and programming.

If I can get the overhead console with the SOS button, I would be able to get rid of the error, however, dealer quoted $600+ for the part itself, plus install...etc.
      06-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #213
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 E46 & 2007 E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
I bought a TCU module off a local member for $200CAD and asked my dealer to see if my MY06 Sept build will work with the TCU. I was provided with the TCU module, the bluetooth antenna and the mic when I bought it.

Since my car has Premium pack with the telephone prep (Canadian spec 328xi), they managed to get it to work. However, I was told I will get an error at startup because I don't have the overhead console with the SOS/telemetic button. The dealer is ordering me the trunk TCU holder, which is $25 to keep the module from moving in the trunk. Total cost, including the TCU that I sourced myself, plus labour will come to probably $850 CAD at my dealer. It is a 5 hour labour charge for the install and programming.

If I can get the overhead console with the SOS button, I would be able to get rid of the error, however, dealer quoted $600+ for the part itself, plus install...etc.
The labour to install my Bluetooth system after the fact was 2.5 hours.

I have the roof unit which gives me BMW Assist. I use this for directions. You get 1 year free service.

It was expensive, but absolutely worth it!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #214
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
The labour to install my Bluetooth system after the fact was 2.5 hours.

I have the roof unit which gives me BMW Assist. I use this for directions. You get 1 year free service.

It was expensive, but absolutely worth it!!!
Retrofit for BMW assist will also get you 1 year free service? That is interesting!

I guess since I sourced my own parts, the dealer had to find some way to make some money.

I will most likely try to source the overhead console from US or from other sources. It looks like your dealer gave you a discount for your parts!
      06-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #215
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 E46 & 2007 E92 328

Quote:
Retrofit for BMW assist will also get you 1 year free service? That is interesting!

I guess since I sourced my own parts, the dealer had to find some way to make some money.

I will most likely try to source the overhead console from US or from other sources. It looks like your dealer gave you a discount for your parts!
Yes, I got a discount. I told the dealer I was on the fence about this option even though I wasn't. They asked if 10% would push me off the fence and do the deal. The rest is history.

The BMW Assist is awesome. If you get into an accident, BMW Assist is called right away. They know if the air bags have gone off and how many people are in the car. An operator will ask you if you are okay. Pretty cool.

The cost is expensive but worth it and this is why it is so expensive:

1. The TCU has a GPS built into it. If you get into an accident or need assistance, BMW Assist knows exactly where you are. When I call in, they tell me what street I am on.

2. The TCU has a built in 3 watt GSM cell phone. If you forget your cell phone, you can still talk to BMW Assist. If you get into an accident and don't have a cell phone or if your cell battery is dead, BMW Assist can call you and vice versa with the built in 3 watt GSM cell phone. This phone has its own phone number but BMW will not tell you the number. It is strictly for communications between BMW Assist and the car.

3. You get a bluetooth hands free kit. When a call comes in, the stereo is automatically muted and the caller ID is displayed on the radio. Your steering wheel controls work.

The call comes through on all of the car's front speakers and sounds awesome.

The stereo head unit has some cool features like caller ID, last 8 numbers dialed (with names), call time, length of call and your top 8 calls.

The other thing I love is that my address book on my PC (outlook) syncs wirelessly with my Blackberry, My Blackberry syncs wirelessly with my BMW address book. Very cool.

The voice dialing is awesome too!!!

Syncing between the car and the phone is seamless as you get in and out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #216
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Dealer got it to work today, without the FZD. Their solution to doing this is to program the car with a FZD they have that has BMW Assist then remove and reinstall the original one back into the car. The only problem with this solution is you will get an error at startup, and the small warning triangle in your trip computer. If you can live with this, then it's not all bad because you will save at least $350. (This is Tischer's price for the FZD)

If your car has the telephone prep, all you need is the TCU, the BT antenna and the microphone. If you can't stand having an error on your car, then you will need to get the FZD, which my dealer wants $700 (tax incl.). I ended up getting it through them since they will make sure the part is correct and will work on my car.
      06-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #217
carbidetech
postaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Black Sapphire

Quote:
Dealer got it to work today, without the FZD. Their solution to doing this is to program the car with a FZD they have that has BMW Assist then remove and reinstall the original one back into the car. The only problem with this solution is you will get an error at startup, and the small warning triangle in your trip computer. If you can live with this, then it's not all bad because you will save at least $350. (This is Tischer's price for the FZD)

If your car has the telephone prep, all you need is the TCU, the BT antenna and the microphone. If you can't stand having an error on your car, then you will need to get the FZD, which my dealer wants $700 (tax incl.). I ended up getting it through them since they will make sure the part is correct and will work on my car.
I posted on this in the diy section I believe. I did essentially what your saying but I supplied the FZD with the SOS button. They programmed with that one, removed it, then put my non-sos FZD back in. I had the little error triangle all the way home from the dealer. Just for shits and giggles, I put the SOS equipped FZD back in when I got home. Started the car up and still had the same warning triangle. The next morning, I started up the car, heading out of the neighborhood, I noticed the error had cleared itself! It's been a few days now and it's still gone.

My car is a 02/2007 328i non I drive. The FZD I purchased was from a 2008 335i. Wrong part number for sure but it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #218
olili2010
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118d

If you want to delete the eror message, it isn't necessary to replace the FZD module.
Simply put a capacity of 470µf (unpolorize) between the TCU (PIN 31 emergency SOS button) and the ground of the TCU modul.
I did it on my car and the sos message has disappeared.
Don't forget to close the car and wait 10 minutes before to check if really the message has disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #219
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hey fellas,

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this post...lots of good information here!

I am going to do the TCU install (with all additional components) in a '07 335i. I was wondering if salvaging the components would cause any issue, but from the previous posts, none of the folks who said they were salvaging and then getting them programmed came back with any woes. (I didn't know if there was some kind of registration within the TCU that would assign that particular model to the VIN of the wrecked car or something and cause me grief if I installed that into mine)

Anywho, having read, I'm looking forward to hitting the salvage lots and seeing what I can find.

I do have an issue though. Having just bought the car (used), I took it into my local dealer (Dallas) and had the regular maintenance done. While I was there, I talked to the SA about what I planned to do and pretty much had to convince him at first that this was possible. Once he talked to his shop folks, he quoted me the estimate for reprogramming (saying they'd never done one, and that there would be no warranty, etc) for $657!!!! Programming only!

Now, I've seen other quotes within this thread that go as low as $157 for the programming (in OKC).

Can any of you give me any tips on the best way to get this done? Should I just shop around to the various BMW dealerships to see who's got the lowest price? I'm guessing I'll probably have to drive to OKC if I can get them to honor that price I saw earlier, but I wanted to make sure there was nothing else that I was missing since some of you seem "in the know."

Thanks for any info you can give, and have given.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #220
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
PM Patrys with your VIN. Once you have the TCU/FZD/rest of the parts Patrys should be able to code your car.

If you are interested in the 6FL retrofit down the road, you may want a newer TCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdon View Post
Hey fellas,

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this post...lots of good information here!

I am going to do the TCU install (with all additional components) in a '07 335i. I was wondering if salvaging the components would cause any issue, but from the previous posts, none of the folks who said they were salvaging and then getting them programmed came back with any woes. (I didn't know if there was some kind of registration within the TCU that would assign that particular model to the VIN of the wrecked car or something and cause me grief if I installed that into mine)

Anywho, having read, I'm looking forward to hitting the salvage lots and seeing what I can find.

I do have an issue though. Having just bought the car (used), I took it into my local dealer (Dallas) and had the regular maintenance done. While I was there, I talked to the SA about what I planned to do and pretty much had to convince him at first that this was possible. Once he talked to his shop folks, he quoted me the estimate for reprogramming (saying they'd never done one, and that there would be no warranty, etc) for $657!!!! Programming only!

Now, I've seen other quotes within this thread that go as low as $157 for the programming (in OKC).

Can any of you give me any tips on the best way to get this done? Should I just shop around to the various BMW dealerships to see who's got the lowest price? I'm guessing I'll probably have to drive to OKC if I can get them to honor that price I saw earlier, but I wanted to make sure there was nothing else that I was missing since some of you seem "in the know."

Thanks for any info you can give, and have given.
Appreciate 0