E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Ebay LED Lights (License Plate and Interior) for $40

12-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Ebay LED Lights (License Plate and Interior) for $40

Updates below: LP light turned to crispy critter. Can't recommend the exterior led.

Bought a set of interior and LP lights from an ebay seller from GA (led_speaker_rings).

Normally I am a big fan of supporting the vendors on the site here but these were 1/2 of the sale prices of the vendors on the board.

I ordered on Monday morning and just got them Thursday!

Total of all lights was around $41. $33 for the interior and an additional $7 for the exterior. I had to email him to add the optional LED lights to an auction listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-X-BMW-3-S...cf144e&vxp=mtr

So far I just had time to pop in the LP Lights... they are slightly brighter (maybe 1.5-2X) than stock since they only have 3 led lights per bulb. However if you are looking for something more muted than some of the 20+ LED super stadium LP lights this might work for ya.

LP Lights:

Left is LED and Right is Halogen

Both in

Total interior set I will be installing tomorrow

Last edited by XM_Rocks; 12-10-2013 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
46m3csl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Do the license plate lights flicker when you turn on the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

Bad news. The LP Light is throwing a code for bulb out.

I really didn't care about the LP Light as much because it was a $7 add however going to try and work out with the seller.

Stay tuned on the interior light kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
longnvu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 E92 E60 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
They are half the price because they are "half" the LED.

Our kit is priced at $55 starting and it offers 2x (probably closer to 4x) the output or more in areas of the interior kit.

Our dome light alone has 12 LED as standard. Nothing in your kit comes close!

Not only is the output better but the quality of LED chip. I notice more and more of you guys are just focused on price but does anyone keep in mind that you may just be getting what you paid for?

Standard Map Lights and Dome Lights

can you show us some sample pics of your products
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnvu View Post
Are you looking for anything specific?

The www.highperformancebulbs.com kit is "ours". We are the only authorized seller of it.

We are not the same company but I developed the kit in conjunction with them throughout the past 3-4 years and we continue together to improve the interior kit and other lighting aspects of this platform for the community.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnvu View Post
Not in this thread please.

Working with the seller on the bulb out error.

Seller was ultra responsive and gave me his cell phone to call him if I needed help troubleshooting.

Looks like each bulb will throw no codes individually with a halogen bulb in. I tried both sides and each led bulb.

We have been emailing through Ebay... I will update this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

Ok... All interior lights are in and functioning.

All in all a pretty painless process.

I fashioned a bulb tong to reach the map light bulbs. Wife was out so I grabbed some tiny ice tongs and wrapped some electrical tape around the ends.

This really helped.

I had to trim the bottom of the 5 led lights to fit in the sockets. I just made it more angular than flat since I couldn't seem to get them in as they were.

Trimming took all of 5 seconds a piece.

Trunk housing needed some slight trimming of the holder to fit the square heat sink in flush... It's the bit on the bottom left on the heat sink below.

All in alll these are about 30% brighter than stock.

I am happy for the price I paid.

Seller is thinking the LP light was from a bad batch so he is shipping out 2 replacements. Will update when they are in.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post

Seller is thinking the LP light was from a bad batch so he is shipping out 2 replacements. Will update when they are in.
Please let me know how the replacements work out, I like the brightness on them, they dont look ridiculous. like most others ive seen on the road.
      12-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

all of our LED interior kits comes with canbus built in, there no error codes and no map lights shutting on randomly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
all of our LED interior kits comes with canbus built in, there no error codes and no map lights shutting on randomly.
My map lights don't shut on randomly.

Did you read that somewhere in here?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

Ok update on the LP lights.

Seller stated he will send me som upgraded units.

Well the good news is that they wee error free and again a perfect brightness.

Put them in and they worked fine until one started flickering and I saw a puff of smoke inside the housing.

I shut off the lights and inspected the bulb.

Looks like there was some kind of short.

I will not be using these bulbs for the exterior.

The buyer will be giving me a refund for the $7 lp add.

All of the other lights on the interior have been working fine now for the past 5 days.

Pics:

Prior to the malfunction:

Last edited by XM_Rocks; 12-10-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
edgespeeder08
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
Ok update on the LP lights.

Seller stated he will send me som upgraded units.

Well the good news is that they wee error free and again a perfect brightness.

Put them in and they worked fine until one started flickering and I saw a puff of smoke inside the housing.

I shut off the lights and inspected the bulb.

Looks like there was some kind of short.

I will not be using these bulbs for the exterior.

The buyer will be giving me a refund for the $7 lp add.

All of the other lights on the interior have been working fine now for the past 5 days.

I was searching LEDs and I came across this thread. I would definitely suggest to not put anymore LEDs from that eBay vendor on your car and just ask for your refund man.

You are wasting your money and you might just cause damage to your BMW.

Don't be cheap, go buy good quality LEDs. You drive a BMW not a pos Honda so invest the money and get stuff that will:
  • not flicker
  • not go up in smoke
  • not give you a hassle
  • last a long time (like LEDs are suppose to)

If you want to spend good money on set of LEDs for your entire BMW, I know of a few good places that I've found for my cars over the years. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Last edited by edgespeeder08; 12-11-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

To each his own I guess. I do commend the OP for being honest about the issues though. I just don't see how this would get anyone to want to buy these. What is your time worth? The money you saved wouldn't even buy lunch at Chipolte - assuming they were perfect from the beginning.

I for one would be quite happy to live out my life never having to get the cell phone number of any seller on Ebay.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Meh, got my interior bulbs for $20 about 8 months ago. Additional $20 for the extremely bright license plate lights (covered 1/3 of the leds)

2 of the T10 bulbs were faulty, these are the most common ones so replacement was not a problem and they sent me 8 of these as an apology. Apology accepted, sold 4 of them for $20 so I pretty much got the entire interior set for free.

Besides that, everything was perfect. Dome/map lights works flawlessly, no flickers at all. License plate light is pure white, not with a bluish tint like many think.

eBay's buyer satisfaction is what makes eBay so good. You simply tell them you have a problem, and they either refund you the whole thing (most of the time for cheap stuff like this), or partial refund (around 50-75%) or they send you replacements with extra goodies. Another thing that made eBay so good was the eBay cashback, I earned about $150 off that in about 2 months and used that towards suspension (which gave like another $35 cashback)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
To each his own I guess. I do commend the OP for being honest about the issues though. I just don't see how this would get anyone to want to buy these. What is your time worth? The money you saved wouldn't even buy lunch at Chipolte - assuming they were perfect from the beginning.

I for one would be quite happy to live out my life never having to get the cell phone number of any seller on Ebay.
Damn Haus... What do you order at Chipotle? I saved $25 on the interior kit alone.

My time? I have 28 vacation days and I haven't taken many this year. So I am working 4 days this month and carrying 5 days over to next year.

I have lots of money and normally don't skimp on things that matter. On my last GTI build I bought quantity parts... Neuspeed, APR, Koni, VMR etc etc. You will never find Racelands or some other inferior products that performs poorly.

However with led's I have a conspiracy that they are all made in the same 5 Chinese factories. They are also simple products. I have had some "quality led" lp lights for my MK5 GTI short that I bought from ECS Tuning. So That probably played a part in this.

On the phone number it was a Georgia phone number and the guy responded to every email within 15 mins. He even shipped the extra lp lights out within a day and I had them a few days later. When I asked for the refund for the $7 I got an email from Paypal within 5 mins and an apology.

I will be honest I have never seen such quick and good customer service.

I would probably have bought the interior lights again from him for $33. They seem to work great and they don't light my car up like Fenway Park at night.
Appreciate 0