E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E91 Sport Wagon Non CA key fob issue

04-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
FunDGH
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

E91 Sport Wagon Non CA key fob issue

I know I know, use the search...I've been reading every forum I have been able to find and can't find resolution. I have seen a couple guys with the same problem but no solution posted.

I have an 08 wagon. One key never worked when we received the car used from the first owner, the other worked for a while, became intermittent, then stopped working all together. As I started digging into this, I have looked for tests that can be done that lead to logical conclusions and haven't gotten very far.
-No buttons cause any noticeable reaction to the vehicle when pressed
-The metal key unlocks all doors when used in the door handle
-The center button on the dash unlocks everything normally
-The fuses all appear to be good
-The Diversity antennae looks to be in good condition (no water intrusion or corrosion), but I tried buying another one advertised as good and it didn't make a difference
-I broke open the key that used to work and changed the battery and that didn't make a difference. I tried measuring voltages and the original battery measured better than the new one. (I know that this isn't reliable for Li I Batteries, but it was another data point). I did notice the voltage drop on the battery as I push each button which tells me that it is at least making some kind of connection

What else can I inspect or test? I have a multi meter and willing to use it!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

I've read that some corrosion can occur on the wires around the diversity antenna, creating the key not to work. that could be the issue.
      04-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
FunDGH
United_States
Rep

I’ve read that too. Everything looks great. I’m looking for any way to verify connections using ohm or voltage measurement.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
FunDGH
United_States
Rep

Update:
I checked into the wiring in the hinge area. I am not sure if I caused it or if it was already there, but I discovered a broken wire. Another was compromised. So I soldered both of those, but it did not resolve the issue.

Is there any way to confirm if the key fob is working or not? Is there any way to confirm the DA is working or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Some of the part's stores have testers that can tell if a signal is
being sent from the FOB's . You would test each button if there is
a signal then the FOB is OK.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #6
FunDGH
United_States
Rep

well, I found that one key does not light up the tester, while the other key lit it up with a few button pushes then stopped.
Appreciate 0