E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E92 Head unit upgrade options

12-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
nick5
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
Question E92 Head unit upgrade options

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum. Having owned 2 E46 330i's previously, just 2 weeks ago I upgraded to a 2006 335i E92.

So far it's great however I would like a little advice on getting a little more modern functionality head unit wise in terms of handsfree and digital audio support (BT audio and USB) while keeping steering controls,parking tones and other functionality. My preference would have been to use the existing single DIN alpine unit I had in my E46 but have seen it's not so straight forward in terms of fitting after market in these cars.

The car is currently fitted with the base un-amplified stereo system and option S663 professional head unit with the CD changer prep which appears to be the model without bluetooth. I am currently looking at using a bluetooth to aux DAC temporarily but I have been exploring the following options and have some questions: -

Option 1 - Retrofit with MULF for existing head unit

Does this support both bluetooth audio and hands free?
What Audio formats does the USB support?

Option 2 - Buy 2nd hand professional unit with bluetooth and any extras needed.

What other parts are needed?
Again is this both bluetooth audio and hands free and what is the file format support on the USB?

Option 3 - Aftermarket Existing alpine single DIN unit or other more compatible unit?

From what I read in the sticky in the top of this forum of this option I could end up with error codes and option coding problems (NCS, toolset32 etc) unless I wire in the OEM unit alongside. Is this still the case with newer aftermarket harnesses/interfaces since the sticky was written and does this stop all option coding or just cause problems with coding specific to the stereo?

I have already contacted the car audio site I usually get car audio from and they recommended the following which should give me streering controls, parking sensors etc and wondering if others had used similar?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/conn...sensor-adaptor

Otherwise does anybody have any recommendations of aftermarket units that are a bit more plug and play for the E92 as there seems to be several advertised arounnd the web. I'm not to bothered about touch screens or sat nav mainly good quality bluetooth audio, hands-free and decent music file format support for USB.

Thanks in advance for any reply guys.

Last edited by nick5; 12-14-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Eonon....it's a direct fitment, double din, massive screen.....I love mine. Seriously plug and play and made to fit our cars. Android, all of the connectivity you could want and mine sounds great. Replaced the single din professional series.
Appreciate 1
nick55.00
      12-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Option 4
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4#post23244354

but don't you want to improve the sound the basic sound of the whole
system.
Appreciate 1
nick55.00
      12-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
nick5
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
Eonon....it's a direct fitment, double din, massive screen.....I love mine. Seriously plug and play and made to fit our cars. Android, all of the connectivity you could want and mine sounds great. Replaced the single din professional series.
Looks good. Reasonable price too in the UK. Does it need any option coding or does it cause any errors or problems with coding mentioned in the sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Option 4
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4#post23244354

but don't you want to improve the sound the basic sound of the whole
system.
Thanks Ctuna. So that is a way of wiring off the CD changer side of things? Sorry a few links in the thread don't seem to be working.

Sound wise I'm not too bothered it's mainly being able to easily listen to music and hands free I'm interested in plus any other head unit functionality is a bonus. Maybe speaker upgrades/amps is something I'll look at later.
      12-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I'm also a happy Eonon customer. Some notes:

1) I had a fiber-optic based system (Logic 7) system with a TCU based bluetooth unit. This threw an 'SOS' code that I needed coded out. I don' t think this will be an issue with the base-level audio.

2) If you get a 135i climate control panel, you can keep buttons for the heated seats without modifying the ashtray.

3) You should wire an 'always on' power signal to the thick yellow wire on the Eonon harness. This keeps all setting through 'standby'. The native E90 power input turns off 20 min after the key is removed. I also separated the yellow wire in the harness so the 'canbus' interface used the E90 switched input power to keep any +12v always on load to a minimum.

4) I did have a problem with the GPS not working correctly. I found Eonon customer support very responsive. They sent both a new circuit board as well as a new GPS antenna (I only needed the latter) and refunded me 10% for my troubles.

5) I use the 'rear view control wire' (brown) from the Eonon harness to directly power my rear view camera. Works fine -- no relay needed.

Last edited by andy_06xi; 12-14-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
I'm also a happy Eonon customer. Some notes:

1) I had a fiber-optic based system (Logic 7) system with a TCM based bluetooth unit. This threw an 'SOS' code that I needed coded out. I don' t think this will be an issue with the base-level audio.

2) If you get a 135i climate control panel, you can keep buttons for the heated seats without modifying the ashtray.

3) You should wire an 'always on' power signal to the thick yellow wire on the Eonon harness. This keeps all setting through 'standby'. The native E90 power input turns off 20 min after the key is removed. I also separated the yellow wire in the harness so the 'canbus' interface used the E90 switched input power to keep any +12v always on load to a minimum.

4) I did have a problem with the GPS not working correctly. I found Eonon customer support very responsive. They sent both a new circuit board as well as a new GPS antenna (I only needed the latter) and refunded me 10% for my troubles.

5) I use the 'rear view control wire' (brown) from the Eonon harness to directly power my rear view camera. Works fine -- no relay needed.

I also had the SOS error, which I coded out using my protool set up. Before you let that scare you know that it will display a phone with a cross through it on the display denoting the emergency "onstar" type function is disabled. Literally took me 2 minutes to code out.
Appreciate 1
nick55.00
      12-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
nick5
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys this is looking like the direction I'll go then as it seems to do everything I want and more. I don't have heated seats or any of the other options with those buttons so should fit well.
      12-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick5 View Post
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum. Having owned 2 E46 330i's previously, just 2 weeks ago I upgraded to a 2006 335i E92.

So far it's great however I would like a little advice on getting a little more modern functionality head unit wise in terms of handsfree and digital audio support (BT audio and USB) while keeping steering controls,parking tones and other functionality. My preference would have been to use the existing single DIN alpine unit I had in my E46 but have seen it's not so straight forward in terms of fitting after market in these cars.

The car is currently fitted with the base un-amplified stereo system and option S663 professional head unit with the CD changer prep which appears to be the model without bluetooth. I am currently looking at using a bluetooth to aux DAC temporarily but I have been exploring the following options and have some questions: -

Option 1 - Retrofit with MULF for existing head unit

Does this support both bluetooth audio and hands free?
What Audio formats does the USB support?

Option 2 - Buy 2nd hand professional unit with bluetooth and any extras needed.

What other parts are needed?
Again is this both bluetooth audio and hands free and what is the file format support on the USB?

Option 3 - Aftermarket Existing alpine single DIN unit or other more compatible unit?

From what I read in the sticky in the top of this forum of this option I could end up with error codes and option coding problems (NCS, toolset32 etc) unless I wire in the OEM unit alongside. Is this still the case with newer aftermarket harnesses/interfaces since the sticky was written and does this stop all option coding or just cause problems with coding specific to the stereo?

I have already contacted the car audio site I usually get car audio from and they recommended the following which should give me streering controls, parking sensors etc and wondering if others had used similar?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/conn...sensor-adaptor

Otherwise does anybody have any recommendations of aftermarket units that are a bit more plug and play for the E92 as there seems to be several advertised arounnd the web. I'm not to bothered about touch screens or sat nav mainly good quality bluetooth audio, hands-free and decent music file format support for USB.

Thanks in advance for any reply guys.
I'd get a Kenwood excelon dmx907s

You can fool the most loop with a most fiber optic loop. You can get them on Amazon. It works
Appreciate 1
nick55.00
      12-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
nick5
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I'd get a Kenwood excelon dmx907s

You can fool the most loop with a most fiber optic loop. You can get them on Amazon. It works
Thanks for the info didn't realise you can loop it.

Have already put an order in for the Eonon though. I like the way it's made to fit into the dash and seems to have tons of connectivity.
      12-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
nick5
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Having had to get a few mechanical jobs out the way for my Van and the Car finally got round to fitting the new head unit.

Was a bit dubious about a unheard of Chinese company but very impressed. Fits very well other then messing with the aircon position a bit. All car functions seem to be working along with it and no codes or errors came up.

Was a bit slow on first boot but then Android performance smoothed out nicely.

Overall very good unit for these cars and they even sent me the cameras and bluetooth odb interface for free although not tried them.
Attached Images

01-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #12
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looks good! The only error I got with mine was for the bimmerlink function (SOS error, picture of a phone with a line through it). I coded it out. I also got the back up camera and BT OBDII connector. Both work well!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #13
nick5
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
I also got the back up camera and BT OBDII connector. Both work well!
Thanks good to know. I may fit the reversing camera later as it would be a handy thing to have.

Where did you mount your reversing camera? Is there a place on the back of these cars that is intended for one?
      01-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #14
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

The BEST option is to ditch the one they gave you and get the OEM camera that's integrated into the trunk handle. That's what I'm doing next. The free camera worked for 30 seconds and then shorted out.....99% sure that was the install and not the camera. I ended up getting a cheap plate mounted camera from bestbuy. They're all going to be plug and play for you. The original camera was mounted dead center on the trunk lid. Wires were tucked through the handle area.
Appreciate 1
nick55.00
      01-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #15
nick5
Rep

Garage List
Looks like there's quite a few of that OEM style one around so I may look at that instead. Better then sticking the thing to the outside.
      01-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #16
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick5 View Post
Looks like there's quite a few of that OEM style one around so I may look at that instead. Better then sticking the thing to the outside.
Agreed! I didn't know any better at the time of my installation!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #17
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FYI: When I was having GPS issues (which turned out to be a faulty GPS antenna), Eonon sent me links to updated System and MCU software:

System Update link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XaN...ew?usp=sharing

Please refer to the video for the system update method:

MCU Update link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgs...ew?usp=sharing

Please refer to the video for the MCU update method:

I did perform these updates -- not sure there is much too them, although I noticed that the unit was better at holding on to state (volume on/off, current source) through standby.

Also the code for getting into the 'System Menu' is: 126. I was hoping to get more control over the Display (individual brightness/contrast for UI vs camera) -- but didn't see any options for this. The only change I made was to use the 'BMW' logo on power up, rather than the 'Android' logo.
Appreciate 1
nick55.00
      01-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #18
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also regarding rear-view cameras:

I originally tried this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I couldn't get it to fit. Seemed just a little too big. I expect I could have dremeled it to make it fit -- but I sent it back instead.

I then ordered and installed:

https://www.ebay.com/c/1682204146

This fit and sealed well. The video quality is only 'OK' -- suitable for backing up -- but not as crisp as the OEM system in my wife's X3.

If anyone has a higher quality recommendation, I'm interested, as now that I ran all the wires, swapping it out would be easy.
Appreciate 1
nick55.00
      01-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #19
nick5
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FYI: When I was having GPS issues (which turned out to be a faulty GPS antenna), Eonon sent me links to updated System and MCU software:

System Update link:

]

MCU Update link:

I did perform these updates -- not sure there is much too them, although I noticed that the unit was better at holding on to state (volume on/off, current source) through standby.

Also the code for getting into the 'System Menu' is: 126. I was hoping to get more control over the Display (individual brightness/contrast for UI vs camera) -- but didn't see any options for this. The only change I made was to use the 'BMW' logo on power up, rather than the 'Android' logo.
Thanks Andy having looked at the dates I have on the current unit firmware vs the modified date from those google drive files I think I'm on the latest update (Pics of current versions attached below).

Not having any problems with current firmware anyway but may try contacting Eonon to see if there has been any updates since these. I did have a look on XDA developers but no specific info on stock firmware for these specific units.
Attached Images

01-13-2021, 07:20 AM   #20
nick5
Rep

Garage List
OK so checked with Eonon that is the latest software for these units.

Quote:
Also regarding rear-view cameras:

I originally tried this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I couldn't get it to fit. Seemed just a little too big. I expect I could have dremeled it to make it fit -- but I sent it back instead.

I then ordered and installed:

https://www.ebay.com/c/1682204146

This fit and sealed well. The video quality is only 'OK' -- suitable for backing up -- but not as crisp as the OEM system in my wife's X3.

If anyone has a higher quality recommendation, I'm interested, as now that I ran all the wires, swapping it out would be easy.
Have had a look at a couple off cameras on ebay I'm considering.

Boot handle style one that just has a 580 line camera so should be a bit higher quality then the Eonon one works wirelessly as well so no wire to trail through:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-...UAAOSwiGRfxO7k

Or this one which fits on the appears to be a higher quality camera then most with 1000 lines that fits on the registration light instead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversing...EAAOSw2ZhfxhSW
      03-13-2021, 11:49 PM   #21
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just added a USB input to my install. Rather than having a dangling wire, I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/ICESPRING-Fem.../dp/B01NAMU8KY

and installed it in place of the cigarette lighter in the ashtray. No drilling, but I did need to dremel off some plastic on the underside of the ashtray to get the nut that secures the mount to sit flat. Looks totally OEM.

I was going to do something similar in the armrest instead. I even bought the later BMW USB/audio jack (mine was audio only), but the later jack doesn't fit in place of the earlier one.

Not sure what I'm going to use this USB jack for (I dont have the Carplay dongle), but it will at least charge my phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:14 PM   #22
titan.n54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hi, which Eonon model do you have? These update files apply to anyone?

Quote:

System Update link:

Please refer to the video for the system update method:

MCU Update link:

Please refer to the video for the MCU update method:

Appreciate 0