E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW E90 330I Vibration between 50-60 mph

09-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #1
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

BMW E90 330I Vibration between 50-60 mph

Hey guys

I know there are several topics on vibration and the possibilities are endless but im hoping some of your guys expertise can point me in the right direction.

The vibration can be felt lightly at most speeds but is most pronounced between 50-60 mph.
It comes through the seats/ centre arm rest and can only be felt on the steering very very faint. Can hardly feel anything on the pedals.

I have changed my rims, had new tyres, discs/pads changed all round, front lower arms replaced with genuine TRW.

It doesn't matter if i'm accelerating, coasting, braking, in neutral providing i'm driving between 50-60 that vibration can be felt.

I have left my car with 3 different garages and none of them can find an issue.
Had my MOT last weekend and told the chap to check every component in depth but he could not find anything.

Turning into a money pit and i'm losing hope on solving my issue

Any feedback appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D

Have they checked the propshaft coupling? Had one go on my E30 years ago and it felt like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
FWIW vibrations felt through the seats normally points to a problem at the rear, not the front...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ive checked over all components in general. Even gave everything a good tug and inspection with the MOT man from underneath. All looks to be fine

Propshaft is covered so not too easy to access unless shields are removed but centre coupling bearing seems to be ok and donuts seem to be good as well.

Could the probshaft possibly be out of balance?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raahil View Post
Could the probshaft possibly be out of balance?
Unlikely to be honest. If it is propshaft related, more likely to be guibo or universal joint.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 02:47 AM   #6
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320i 2010 MSport

I've had vibration from the rear of the car (E90 320i) but it comes and goes. Feels like a rear tyre has a bolt stuck in it, vibration builds up then it disappears after a few mins, really odd.

When it starts I can see things on the back seat (coats etc.) shaking - so maybe get someone to sit in the back seat and see if they can pinpoint where it is coming from, i.e. if its one side or the other or just in the general area of the rear wheels/diff.

If not propshaft related, are there any issues with rear driveshaft CV joints on these cars? (Assuming they are CV joints and not a different type of joint?) I've had similar vibrations from a front wheel drive car that was a inner CV joint worn/sticking.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #7
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys.
Guibos and joints look solid. Obviously taking apart and checking individually is the next phase.

Its not really sided and comes through the car as a whole.
Driveshafts/ cv joints seem solid with no knocks or funny noises.
Have even had the rear end jacked up and had the car in drive but to no avail.

If anything what i have realized is that with more weight in the car (especially the rear) the less the vibration is.
Still apparent but not as much as it is when i am alone
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

could be subframe bushes or rear arm bushes
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #9
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Will just have to start stripping and see exactly what is wrong. Will keep you guys posted if i manage to find a resolution
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

I know its obvious and you've probably got it done from what you've said but has the car had a full alignment done? Is the vibration accompanied by noise? Drive with the windows down with someone ( a competent mechanic) in the rear.

Best advice is find a really good BMW Indy near you (you'll know as they'll have loads of E46 M3's and E39 M5s in their garage). They'll be used to dealing with plenty of vibrations!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes have had all that done already. Nothing looks out of place under normal inspection.

Have ordered in some front thrust arms as one of the bushes looks worn to me as its slightly offset in its housing.
Will get them replaced and have the tracking re done.

No idea if that could solve my issue as my vibration is mainly through the seat but u never know
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Yes have had all that done already. Nothing looks out of place under normal inspection.

Have ordered in some front thrust arms as one of the bushes looks worn to me as its slightly offset in its housing.
Will get them replaced and have the tracking re done.

No idea if that could solve my issue as my vibration is mainly through the seat but u never know
Its horrible when you try and diagnose something and end up blowing money with no result. Heart goes out to you... I had this on an S54 stalling issue that literally took years. Mate that is a Porker much just cleaned the idle controller and issue was gone...

Perhaps try to find an outfit that deals (expertly) with BMW track cars. Their mechanics tend to have more experience and more sensitive bums to track down these niggles. There loads of seasoned BMW expert Indies in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:49 AM   #13
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
Its horrible when you try and diagnose something and end up blowing money with no result. Heart goes out to you... I had this on an S54 stalling issue that literally took years. Mate that is a Porker much just cleaned the idle controller and issue was gone...

Perhaps try to find an outfit that deals (expertly) with BMW track cars. Their mechanics tend to have more experience and more sensitive bums to track down these niggles. There loads of seasoned BMW expert Indies in the UK.
Appreciate that mate. That will be the next step. During the week are busy working and come the weekend there's a list of chores!!
So will need to make some time out and get the baby properly checked out.

Such a shame cus its a beauty to drive otherwise. Only have 70K on the clock as well
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
Adam1990
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330I

Would be worth checking to see if your wheels have been balanced correctly before pulling bushes.

You said you have had new tyres recently, I'm guessing you didn't go down the budget road?

Did this vibration start before or after new parts?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #15
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Defo not wheels as have tried 2 other perfect sets on my car and same issue.
Have even tried my own set on my brothers e90 and he gets no vibrations with them on.

No would never touch budgets with a barge pole!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #16
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

Like Phil explained to you earlier, it is normally the propshaft coupling that goes due to age. A mere visual inspection will not reveal much. A general rule of thumb - if there is shudder when you take off from stand still, it it propshaft related. Have the guibo properly checked by removing it from the car.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2017, 05:08 AM   #17
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1990 View Post
Would be worth checking to see if your wheels have been balanced correctly before pulling bushes.

You said you have had new tyres recently, I'm guessing you didn't go down the budget road?

Did this vibration start before or after new parts?
If its wheel balancing at the front you'll get shaking on the steering wheel that gradually gets worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #18
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anees View Post
Like Phil explained to you earlier, it is normally the propshaft coupling that goes due to age. A mere visual inspection will not reveal much. A general rule of thumb - if there is shudder when you take off from stand still, it it propshaft related. Have the guibo properly checked by removing it from the car.
Makes the most sense imho.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #19
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
i have this same issue, ive heard its the rear brake rotors loaded up with shit in the fins. im finally due to replace mine so ill let you know if this fixes anything
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:44 AM   #20
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anees View Post
I have nothing no shudders or vibrations at take off.
Issue only becomes apparent at the 50mph range.

Maybe the issue is still there throughout any speed but it can only be felt at the stated speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:46 AM   #21
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
i have this same issue, ive heard its the rear brake rotors loaded up with shit in the fins. im finally due to replace mine so ill let you know if this fixes anything
Yes mate would appreciate if you could post back on that one.
Although i have changed my rear pads recently so doubt it would be that but not eliminating anything at this point.
Everything deserves a look
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:25 AM   #22
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Yes mate would appreciate if you could post back on that one.
Although i have changed my rear pads recently so doubt it would be that but not eliminating anything at this point.
Everything deserves a look
you have put the pads in correctly,,sometimes they will rattle around if they not done correctly,ie correct pad for back /front of disc.and vice versa..seen it happen a few times on various forums.
Appreciate 0