E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight flicker

08-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Wilkz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: n/a

Headlight flicker

Update: I fixed this problem a few months ago and wanted to update this post in case this problem happens to anyone else. It was a pain in the a** but i figured it out. The wires connecting the ballast had small exposed portions to the wire. Like the rubber wore off or something pinched the wires. This was on both of the ballasts too. I put electrical tape on the wires around the exposed part and I haven't had the issue since. It's been ~3 months so i feel confident this was the issue. It might have also been the reason the left ballast shorted out, and possibly the first replacement ballast shorting out as soon as we installed it.

It had nothing to do with the fogs as I changed those out for regular halogen and the problem persisted.

I have a video from my GoPro showing the flicker pretty clearly. I'm going to upload it when I get home tonight.

Check your wires if this is happening to you!

I have a 07 E90 with Xenon Adaptive headlights. I also have HID fogs. At night sometimes, more frequently now, my headlights will flicker or flash. At first it was over big bumps in the road. Now it can happen at any time. I've also noticed that when i make turns around 5-10 mph the more I turn the steering wheel the worst the flicker is. The flicker gets so bad that sometimes the left headlight will go out and come back on when the wheel is turned back center. No error codes when the light goes out. The problem seemed to start when the fog light when out so im not sure if that has something to do with it.

Unfortunately, I bought the car with the fogs installed so I'm not sure on the specifics but I do know they're HID and it seems like there are resistors in place. I know the early pre lci models have problems with lighting.

Anyone know what's going on?

Last edited by Wilkz; 02-15-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

I have that issue too! It's mostly when I'm accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Wilkz
Private First Class
Rep

bump anyone have an idea?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
johnbradshow
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: I have brand new Audi R8

The problem is you are not supposed to use HID in your fog lights if you have BMW adaptive lighting. The HID should break by now or in a few weeks at the latest. Replace your HID with LED or back to original halogen only.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Wilkz
Private First Class
Rep

ah okay. in that case I'll order Led bulbs and try that out.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

I wouldn't think HID's in the fog lights would cause the head lights to flicker. Only the fog lights would flicker. You can also just have it coded out and it should work fine.
      09-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

It's pretty common for the headlight lights to vibrate due to bumps in the road. If you lightly hit the light with your fist you can see the lens jiggle about. Mine does this too and it's annoying, but I haven't come across a fix yet. It seems to be flaw in the design that the adaptive light mechanisms are too "loose".

I doubt its the fog lights. Just turn them off and see if it still does it.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Wilkz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post
I wouldn't think HID's in the fog lights would cause the head lights to flicker. Only the fog lights would flicker. You can also just have it coded out and it should work fine.
Coding them out wouldn't do anything. Im not worried about the error moreso the electrical problems coming from the resistors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
It's pretty common for the headlight lights to vibrate due to bumps in the road. If you lightly hit the light with your fist you can see the lens jiggle about. Mine does this too and it's annoying, but I haven't come across a fix yet. It seems to be flaw in the design that the adaptive light mechanisms are too "loose".

I doubt its the fog lights. Just turn them off and see if it still does it.

THey do vibrate from bumps in the road but this is different. When it's happening, I can replicate it by making right turns. No matter if a bumpy road or a perfectly smooth road. Example is if I go to an empty parking lot and turn the wheel all the way to the right and go in a slow circle, it will cause the light to go out. But not if I make left turns, only right. I realize the bumps can't be avoided but this is different from that, although it may have had an effect. I made sure connections were tight from what i could reach without taking the bumper off. I don't use the fog lights at all. I get the error message every time the car starts but I haven't turned them on in over two months.

I'm replacing the fog lights with regular bulbs and taking the HID harnesses out this weekend. Ill update the thread after to see if it still happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

LED fog light kits dont have this issue

however, many generic HID fog light kits have this issue and its pretty well known
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Wilkz
Private First Class
Rep

bumping this thread for the update in the OP
Appreciate 0