E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dreaded FRM

06-22-2018, 04:49 AM   #1
mfizz
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Dreaded FRM

I received a recall letter which got me intrigued. And soon as I did, something happens. I currently have 2 outstanding recalls (battery negative and ac/heater blower)

I have used a cable to look at faults before, this time was no different. I had recently topped up AC gas and wanted to see what the pressures were sitting at to see if it was leaking managed to do that alright. Then afterwards turned the car off to turn it back on again and now I am getting a lighting system error. I have gone in and around searched on this forum and it appears it is the FRM that could have gone as my windows / lights (stay on) are not working. Central locking "sounds" different but still locks and unlocks and the car starts.

Thanks to Sensible_ his posts really clarified things for me.

This all sounds like i need to flash the FRM again. I don't have a x-prog or up, so was thinking of picking an FRM from a scrap yard and then coding my VIN and VO/FA on to it, only if i can pick it up for £20 odd pounds otherwise whats the point I might as well get xprog.

Could this be because of the negative battery cable causing a surge which has now caused this? I have called BMW to book it for recall repair and they've said they'll contact me when they have the parts to replace in stock (apparently no BMW dealerships have it yet) which will be in july.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

The recall is for the positive battery lead, the one that runs from the battery in the boot to the fuse box under the dash, not the negative lead which is not very long in comparison.
I agree the sheer volume of recalls has caught BMW unawares. I booked my car in for the same two mods back in early May and the first date I could get was 5th July. Nearly there now!
I think the recall is a red herring in this instance and the symptoms you describe are different to those typically associated with the recall items i.e. flickering instruments and no central locking followed by complete electrical failure or, in the case of the heater blower harness, catching fire.
I suspect that this is just an annoying coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
mfizz
Rep

I have had central locking failure / no lights in the dash once or twice, cant start the car after. Never really paid any attention to it. I would just open the car by putting the key in the barrel. Try to start the car which wouldn't work. Leave it for a few minutes open close door a few times and then try again and it would work again.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Yep! That is the symptoms of the positive battery lead connector failing.
You cannot see the connector normally as it is under the dash at the main fuse box.

You should mention that to BMW when you call to prioritise your car because the next stage is complete failure of the electrics potentially whilst you are driving along.
It was someone swerving to avoid a BMW with sudden power loss that created a fatal incident instigating the recall in the first place.

I would also suggest you ask BMW nicely if they will correct your FRM issue too since it could well be the intermittent power connection that has caused the fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
mfizz
Rep

I will ask the question, but i don't want to be waiting around until they turn up and say they'll fix it because I personally hate it when someone is driving without indicators and proper lights, its a danger to people (i know bmw driver saying that!). Is there anyone around the Birmingham / West London areas that may be able to let me borrow or help me to get x-prog to fix my FRM
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
mfizz
Rep

Goes without saying, food or drink on the table for would be helper
Appreciate 0