E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Yay! Triple rollover win.What a week!

02-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Yay! Triple rollover win.What a week!

Not the National/Euro millions lottery, no, but for me so,so much better.

Sadly, and without any symptoms or warning, I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in Dec 2010, the 21st to be exact, that Xmas was a blast!

Anyway, after 8 weeks of daily radiotherapy starting in Oct 2011, which resulted in my nether regions being blasted with x-rays more than 2200 times, backed up with mthly injections, I got the news I was desperate to hear on Tuesday, when my wife and I attended the Royal Marsden in Sutton.

I could come off the injections/drugs, and just have six monthly blood tests!
Our elation was palpable, and it was a while until my wife and I came down off the ceiling.

I'm not out of the woods just yet, however my Oncologist has said I've done incredibly well, and my prognosis is 100% better than it was two yrs ago, when writing a will, and arranging a funeral was not far off reality.

It's been tough for all the family, which worsened considerably when my kid sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2012.
It was a dagger to the heart for both my Sis and I, obviously the situation was much, much worse for my Sis, as she now faced losing one of her breasts, followed by Chemo, which would decimate her crowning glory (hair), a cruel, cruel blow for any woman to have to go through.
Like me she has done incredibly well, has finished the chemo, and is now on a yearly course of injections and a prolonged course of oral drugs, she is/has been incredibly brave, and her prognosis, like mine is much, much better. Her young children (8/10) have coped admirably with the situation, and are a fantastic credit to her, given the circumstances.

On the plus, minus side, with the after effects of my treatment, I have a cleavage Gwyneth Paltrow would be proud of, zero hair on my body, far, far more on my head, and the hair on my head is 'Your worth it' hair, and put's Cheryl Coles barnet to shame.
I'll leave out the really f*ck off horrendous after effects of the treatment

Every cloud..........

As a result of all the MRI/CT scans I had for the cancer, a condition that had blighted my life for the past 30 yrs was discovered, I was diagnosed with Achalasia in Dec 2011.
Whilst there is no definite reason for the condition, it was probably triggered by some teenage feckwittery on my part, which involved doing stuff I shouldn't have been doing and the pursuit of the finer sex, but, I didn't half enjoy it the time!

After key hole surgery in Dec last year at the Chelsea & Westminster, my life has been transformed completely in a very different way, the operation was so successful that after just 2 mths of having the OP I was discharged.

I can now eat/drink without any problems, and going out for a family meal is a joy, and not a chore.

Icing on the cake...............

After 14 mths of self imposed unemployment whilst I dealt with my health problems and recuperated, I've just been through two very tough selection processes for a new position.

One third interview (nightmare process!) for one of the opportunities was on the Monday (4th), the other second interview for another role was on the morning of the 5th, and the same day of my afternoon visit to the Marsden.

The result is two job offers, one offer was made on the 6th, 24 hrs after the interview, and 10 hrs after receiving the great news from the Marsden, the second offer was made on the 7th.

I become an employee again as of the 18th of this month, 26 months since that terrible day back in 2010.

For those who asked, yes, my car was just one casualty of all the above, but the company car is unbelievably a 5mth old 3 series, probably a E90, but unlikely to have a twin turbo engine, but I care not one jot.

I'm not one to put personal stuff in an open forum, so not many of the members knew of my predicament, but for those who did, many, many thanks for the PM's over the last couple of yrs, and the support, it did mean a lot.

The NHS rocks!

Despite the bad press it often receives, my experience of the NHS whilst going through the journey has been nothing short of fantastic.
The support, advice, compassion and overall care has been exemplary, and no words can truely express my sentiments towards all those who helped me through it.

I've seen the good, bad and truely awful during my stint, from a smashing 44yr old Guy who tragically never made it, RIP.

To the 86yr old veteran of the Aden conflict, whose stories were both awesome and hilarious, and is still battling on.

To the very, very young Leukaemia sufferers whose resilience and utter bravery in the face of the treatment they have to endure, were both humbling and inspirational in equal measure.

My whole family is fecking delirious with happiness and joy, and were I allowed to get hammered/blatted/blasted/legless/comatose in a drunken haze I would.
My Sis and I can't wait to celebrate her inevitable (hopefully) 100% recovery from her ordeal, and by then I will be able to get totally and utterly ratfaced, and my kid Sis can pick up my pieces, and deal with the messy consequences !

Apologies for the ramble.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Excellent news. What's your count?

My dad has just been through this (and I suspect is somewhat older than you) but has recovered well and is back to the six-monthly blood tests but his count has remained very low.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Congrats on many counts, great news and I am genuinely really pleased for you and this firmly puts life into perspective. In many ways the NHS is a real national treasure, especially in cancer care.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
In many ways the NHS is a real national treasure, especially in cancer care.

Indeed yes.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Christ Ian. I thought something was up for you to bin the 335. But I'd never had figured that. I really pleased for you Mate.

I'm also pro NHS and especially the Marsden in London.

When this kind of thing comes into yours or your loved ones lift. It really puts things into perspective doesn't it.

Best wishes to you and your Sis
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Fantastic news.

I have never heard you mention, complain or even seem down on here despite going through all this. Credit to you for that.

Must feel better than winning the lottery.
      02-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

Anyway, after 8 weeks of daily radiotherapy starting in Oct 2011, which resulted in my nether regions being blasted with x-rays more than 2200 times,
That explains the Pink KA. Phew, I was getting worried
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Thanks for the comments Chaps

I seem to have done a round trip of some of the finest hospitals in London,I do feel blessed in many ways to have access to these wonderful places.

I've done both the Marsden's (Chelsea & Sutton), and the Chelsea & Westminster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Excellent news. What's your count?

My dad has just been through this (and I suspect is somewhat older than you) but has recovered well and is back to the six-monthly blood tests but his count has remained very low.
PSA is neglible and is 0.01ng/ml,this has been constant now for many months.

Technically I'm probably more of a woman than man, which gives me a good excuse to dress up,I had always previously received a negative response,and I could never understand why

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Congratulations Ian and all the best with the new job.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Ian that is absolutely fantastic news fella. I'd heard through the grapevine within the last few months only of the fact you were ill - and feared the worst.

I am over the moon for you. What a couple of months, all clear - long term issues resolved, new car, new job. Fantastic fantastic stuff.

Really mate I'm chuffed. It's really cheered up a miserable Friday for me (In absolutely relative and minescule terms it must be said)..

Hope to see you at one of the meets this year. We're looking into a Cotswolds, Cambs and Northern meet this year

Dave
      02-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Technically I'm probably more of a woman than man, which gives me a good excuse to dress up,I had always previously received a negative response,and I could never understand why
You'll piss it now.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Ian so glad your better now mate, 100% improvement is brilliant news
!

Hope your sister gets better soon !
      02-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
So pleased for you and your family Ian. Great news.
      02-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Lost some good friends this last year, male and female, to various forms of the Big C. So, so good that you're coming out the other side, and my continued best wishes.
Also to your sister - many many good thoughts for her.

This is bringing back too many memories, so I'm off for a cry.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Fantastic news Ian. Like Dave I'd heard on the grapevine and feared it was along these lines and great news to hear you're doing so well. A very valued member of E90post so your story is truly inspiring and glad you took the time to speak out. I'm sure many of us on here will be able to relate your words to old, current or future situations and may help them cope so thanks again.

Obviously our thoughts are now with your Sister to follow the family trait of showing big C that it doesn't win that easily.

All the best to you.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Ian,
I didn't hear about your illness until very recently and was incredibly shocked to hear the news. So, hearing this is absolutely fantastic, I'm absolutely over the moon for you and your family. I look forward to catching up over a beer with you very soon.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Not the National/Euro millions lottery, no, but for me so,so much better.

Sadly, and without any symptoms or warning, I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in Dec 2010, the 21st to be exact, that Xmas was a blast!

Anyway, after 8 weeks of daily radiotherapy starting in Oct 2011, which resulted in my nether regions being blasted with x-rays more than 2200 times, backed up with mthly injections, I got the news I was desperate to hear on Tuesday, when my wife and I attended the Royal Marsden in Sutton.

I could come off the injections/drugs, and just have six monthly blood tests!
Our elation was palpable, and it was a while until my wife and I came down off the ceiling.

I'm not out of the woods just yet, however my Oncologist has said I've done incredibly well, and my prognosis is 100% better than it was two yrs ago, when writing a will, and arranging a funeral was not far off reality.

It's been tough for all the family, which worsened considerably when my kid sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2012.
It was a dagger to the heart for both my Sis and I, obviously the situation was much, much worse for my Sis, as she now faced losing one of her breasts, followed by Chemo, which would decimate her crowning glory (hair), a cruel, cruel blow for any woman to have to go through.
Like me she has done incredibly well, has finished the chemo, and is now on a yearly course of injections and a prolonged course of oral drugs, she is/has been incredibly brave, and her prognosis, like mine is much, much better. Her young children (8/10) have coped admirably with the situation, and are a fantastic credit to her, given the circumstances.

On the plus, minus side, with the after effects of my treatment, I have a cleavage Gwyneth Paltrow would be proud of, zero hair on my body, far, far more on my head, and the hair on my head is 'Your worth it' hair, and put's Cheryl Coles barnet to shame.
I'll leave out the really f*ck off horrendous after effects of the treatment

Every cloud..........

As a result of all the MRI/CT scans I had for the cancer, a condition that had blighted my life for the past 30 yrs was discovered, I was diagnosed with Achalasia in Dec 2011.
Whilst there is no definite reason for the condition, it was probably triggered by some teenage feckwittery on my part, which involved doing stuff I shouldn't have been doing and the pursuit of the finer sex, but, I didn't half enjoy it the time!

After key hole surgery in Dec last year at the Chelsea & Westminster, my life has been transformed completely in a very different way, the operation was so successful that after just 2 mths of having the OP I was discharged.

I can now eat/drink without any problems, and going out for a family meal is a joy, and not a chore.

Icing on the cake...............

After 14 mths of self imposed unemployment whilst I dealt with my health problems and recuperated, I've just been through two very tough selection processes for a new position.

One third interview (nightmare process!) for one of the opportunities was on the Monday (4th), the other second interview for another role was on the morning of the 5th, and the same day of my afternoon visit to the Marsden.

The result is two job offers, one offer was made on the 6th, 24 hrs after the interview, and 10 hrs after receiving the great news from the Marsden, the second offer was made on the 7th.

I become an employee again as of the 18th of this month, 26 months since that terrible day back in 2010.

For those who asked, yes, my car was just one casualty of all the above, but the company car is unbelievably a 5mth old 3 series, probably a E90, but unlikely to have a twin turbo engine, but I care not one jot.

I'm not one to put personal stuff in an open forum, so not many of the members knew of my predicament, but for those who did, many, many thanks for the PM's over the last couple of yrs, and the support, it did mean a lot.

The NHS rocks!

Despite the bad press it often receives, my experience of the NHS whilst going through the journey has been nothing short of fantastic.
The support, advice, compassion and overall care has been exemplary, and no words can truely express my sentiments towards all those who helped me through it.

I've seen the good, bad and truely awful during my stint, from a smashing 44yr old Guy who tragically never made it, RIP.

To the 86yr old veteran of the Aden conflict, whose stories were both awesome and hilarious, and is still battling on.

To the very, very young Leukaemia sufferers whose resilience and utter bravery in the face of the treatment they have to endure, were both humbling and inspirational in equal measure.

My whole family is fecking delirious with happiness and joy, and were I allowed to get hammered/blatted/blasted/legless/comatose in a drunken haze I would.
My Sis and I can't wait to celebrate her inevitable (hopefully) 100% recovery from her ordeal, and by then I will be able to get totally and utterly ratfaced, and my kid Sis can pick up my pieces, and deal with the messy consequences !

Apologies for the ramble.
So you have breasts and a hairless body? I bet you look great in that PVC catsuit now!
      02-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
So you have breasts and a hairless body? I bet you look great in that PVC catsuit now!

I knew the breasts and hairless body would drag will out of retirement for some kind of a response..

I was trying to come up with something about Thailand brothels but couldn't make it witty enough to post.
      02-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Good news. In fact fantastic news!

You were quite knowledgeable in this thread. I assumed you'd had prostate cancer or were close to someone who had it.

Anyway, great stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
You'll piss it now.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #21
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Ian; FANTASTIC NEWS! Reading what you've written there brought a tear to my eye. Lets hope 2013 and beyond can be a bit better for you and your family xx
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Great news, Ian - hopefully life can start getting back to normal for you now.