E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i to M3 engine swap

01-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #23
AviatorBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

Have you lived in the US for the past 6 years?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #24
AviatorBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass
I've got to believe this will cost significantly more than $20k to accomplish - no less in Thailand. The engine would be one small piece of that puzzle. A quick search on ebay shows a few for sale - $9k, $13k, etc, just for a "complete" M3 E92 engine. Let's assume a flat $10k for the engine. What about the drivetrain - transmission, axles, drive shaft, differentials, etc. This would be a huge job. You're not just going to drop an M3 engine putting out over 400hp and couple it to a drivetrain designed for an engine with half that power, are you? The DCT in the M3 is also completely different than anything (auto or manual) of a 325i... so you're not going to get the feel or performance of an M3 without addressing the entire drivetrain.

The ECU, and likely countless other parts, are probably different as well. For instance, the M5 is about 80% unique parts compared to a standard 5-series. I'm prone to believe this is similar for an M3, too. While you may not need to address ALL of it (certainly not the cosmetic stuff), figuring out what to address and what NOT to address, mechanically, would probably take a mechanic (or team of them) with great skills.

Sorry, I've got to say the project just doesn't make sense. Save your $20k and put towards something of real value. Modify your 325i if it makes you happy to do something to better the car... but this seems like a leap too far, and I doubt you'd ever accomplish it for $20k.

On a side note, Thailand is a complete rip-off when it comes to cars. I was having this discussion with some others on the 5 board... can't believe there are guys spending over $200k on 535's over there... ridiculous. I'd pick up leave the country - that's a government out of control.
Government out of control? Any resemblence to the USA is pure coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #25
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

I'll be a real pal and sell you my 335 for 80k.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #26
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I'd shoot for a N54 engine swap from a 335i. Cheaper and much more readily available than a M3 engine. You'll easily blow more than $20k USD on a M3 engine and transmission once factoring in shipping and what not.

Aside from the mechanical swaps over, I'd imagine the next biggest hurdle would be reprogramming all the computer modules (ECU) to be VIN matched to the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #27
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmer View Post
Government out of control? Any resemblence to the USA is pure coincidence.
I was going to go there but decided to keep away from politics... but I hear ya! I'm just glad we can still buy 20oz sodas in NYC. Thank GOD we have "bright" politicians to look out for us and micro-manage our decisions since we're to ahhhh... what's the word... DUMB to make them ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #28
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

My buddy did an ls1 swap in his z3 roadster thing was beastly! I'd say sell the car and buy a 5.0 mustang or something. Idk how you can justify paying that much for a 325i or any car with 327% tax now I know why there's a billion scooters on the road over there.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #29
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Subscribing to see how this goes!

Leave the 325 badge on it after the swap, haha. I think it'd be hilarious to see how some people might react from the unexpected sounds and speed!

Car pricing is similar if you wanna buy a luxury or other exotic marque in Taiwan. I visit family there once in a while and I wanna say certain cars cost around double what you'd pay in the US. I don't know the exact difference, but it's definitely more expensive.
      01-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #30
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

imho spending $20k USD is not a good way to spend it, yet at the same time it sounds like the OP isn't that concerned about money anyway.

Seriously, nobody can say it can't be done, so go ahead and try it. People have put chevy v8's into swedish cars, 7th gen motors into 4th gen Japanese cars, to each his own! If the OP fails, at least he tried. A 327% tax is not a lot if you're well to do. People have cars a lot nicer than 325's despite that tax, in many other countries...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #31
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

To OP,

You might want to look into buying a car in the U.S. and then shipping it over to Thailand.

There are regulations, but for some countries it's seriously cheaper than buying an import locally. In fact, buying a used car and then importing it over might save you a lot in tax dollars.

I know a friend that does this, albeit he does it in Taiwan. Just thought it might be worth the effort to look into.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #32
pk_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i X-Drive

My sister did importing/exporting. He definitely isn't lying, it's robbery.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #33
pk_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeah View Post
To OP,

You might want to look into buying a car in the U.S. and then shipping it over to Thailand.

There are regulations, but for some countries it's seriously cheaper than buying an import locally. In fact, buying a used car and then importing it over might save you a lot in tax dollars.

I know a friend that does this, albeit he does it in Taiwan. Just thought it might be worth the effort to look into.
You still get taxed. Regardless of where you buy it, you're importing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #34
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

As someone already mentioned, get an LSX engine with an auto or manual, custom driveshaft and standalone ECU for the engine. Some tricky wiring for the gauges and you are set. Since you are paying to have it done ~$18K sounds right for the entire swap including parts depending on engine and if you build it up.

a bolt-on LS1 will put out more power than an S65 engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #35
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

If there are no regulations, maybe look into rebuilding the motor you already have. There are e90 n52 race cars, possibly look in to what they do for power

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855757

Maybe see what the part difference are between the n52(if that is what you have) and the n53. According to that link, it's mostly the same motor except for the DI and whatever other bolt on parts.

Last edited by Casca; 01-06-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #36
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

OP I really wouldn't advise this. If you want more power and buying a car with the power you want stock isn't an option because of those outrageous taxes, then you might want to buy something that can be modded more cheaply and easily and deliver a better result. Getting the driveline sorted just by itself is going to be a huge job as others are saying, but what amazes me is that two pages into this thread there's only been one person making a one-sentence mention of the suspension work you'd have to do for this to work properly. Even if you only care about straight-line performance, all of these components you're replacing are going to alter both the total weight and the weight distribution of the car, and therefore if you want this ride well even when driven normally, you'll need to adjust the suspension to compensate for those changes, which in turn will require someone who really knows what he's doing when it comes to suspension.

Of course everyone knows that if you somehow pull this off, you'll want to start driving it like an M3, in which case you really WILL want a real M3 suspension (or something similar from the aftermarket), which is going to drive the cost up even further. And for all I know putting that type of suspension into a 325i body may not be possible without even more extensive modification; I'm not a suspension expert, but I can imagine that being a possibility. And after all that you still have the problem of having smaller wheels and tires to handle the grip. I'm not sure how much larger and wider you can go with those on a 325i body without doing things like rolling fenders -- or are you planning to buy the M3 fender panels? Are they even a direct swap?

And after all that, you're going to need either the M3's instrument cluster (if it will fit) or a full aftermarket replacement. You'll also probably want (or the electronics may require) the M3 steering rack for its quicker ratio and Servotronic modes, and THEN someone extremely knowledgeable about electronics will have to spend time getting the rest of the car's electronics to cooperate with the M3's DME. That last task is non-trivial. You'd need a ninja like Mike Benvo on board for that. BMW engine swaps involving their more modern cars/engines are no joke when it comes to the amount of electronics reprogramming you'd have to do. And even if it all runs, chances are your ABS and DSC systems won't work very well because there's obviously no factory programming for an M3 DME intended to work with a 325's tire and brake setup, and I doubt anyone is qualified to write custom ABS and DSC code for this.

OP this sounds like a project that you could put a HUGE amount of money into and still be unsatisfied with the result -- or worse, discover AFTER a bunch of parts have been purchased and a bunch of work has already been done that it's not even possible for what you're willing to spend. And while I'm sure it could be done if you were willing to put an absolutely astonishing amount of money into it, I doubt you'd feel you got your money's worth.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 01-06-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #37
curiouz_g
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i, 04 M3 Vortech'd

Everyone has listed all the major components but I'm surprised no one has listed all the custom wire harnesses you're going to have to jerry rig together along with the motor mounts, custom fabricated exhausts and cutting you're going to have to do with your firewall, core support frame, and hood. The engine bay is cramped enough with a I6 in there so shoehorning a V8 in there's going to take too much work. Dump an N54 in there and call it a day.
      01-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #38
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouz_g View Post
Dump an N54 in there and call it a day.
This is actually a really good idea!! An N54 and optionally a tune. OP, this right here is the way to go. Should DRAMATICALLY reduce the cost and complexity. You may still have smaller versions of the problems everyone has mentioned, but they should be much easier to solve.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #39
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouz_g View Post
Everyone has listed all the major components but I'm surprised no one has listed all the custom wire harnesses you're going to have to jerry rig together along with the motor mounts, custom fabricated exhausts and cutting you're going to have to do with your firewall, core support frame, and hood. The engine bay is cramped enough with a I6 in there so shoehorning a V8 in there's going to take too much work. Dump an N54 in there and call it a day.
N54 weighs 430lbs
LS1 is around 390-430lbs.

I don't think it would take to much cutting to make it work. It's been done any many other model bmws with success so he could follow one of those builds.

Overall he wants a faster car and OP should just sell his current or keep and it and buy a project car that takes easy to an LS1 swap and call it good.
Appreciate 0