E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New CP and Tial BOV, with mild flutter/surge. . .

01-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Cruiserweight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

New CP and Tial BOV, with mild flutter/surge. . .

Just installed an ER CP with Tial Q from Mike@N54tuning (Thanks Mike!). Looks great, BOV is nice and quiet, as advertised. No codes thrown. I am however, hearing a little bit of flutter after throttle release and only under partial boost (3-5psi or so). I've done searches etc about bov flutter/compressor surge etc. I've read some say it's harmless if you're not on throttle and some say it's terrible for your turbo shaft regardless.

My inclination is to get a lighter spring. I've read threads however where people are adamant about the 11lb spring being the only spring for n54's. I'm tuned and modded running 19psi, so I don't want to lose pressure, but I sure as hell don't want to hurt my turbos.

So. . . Is there a break in period for the spring? Is this the price you pay to hold boost on the high end? Do I have a vacuum leak somewhere I need to check?

Thank for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

bov

I've heard of people taking the tial apart and lightly lubing it. Or enlarging the vaccum port on the intake as to let more vaccum act upon the tial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
Just installed an ER CP with Tial Q from Mike@N54tuning (Thanks Mike!). Looks great, BOV is nice and quiet, as advertised. No codes thrown. I am however, hearing a little bit of flutter after throttle release and only under partial boost (3-5psi or so). I've done searches etc about bov flutter/compressor surge etc. I've read some say it's harmless if you're not on throttle and some say it's terrible for your turbo shaft regardless.

My inclination is to get a lighter spring. I've read threads however where people are adamant about the 11lb spring being the only spring for n54's. I'm tuned and modded running 19psi, so I don't want to lose pressure, but I sure as hell don't want to hurt my turbos.

So. . . Is there a break in period for the spring? Is this the price you pay to hold boost on the high end? Do I have a vacuum leak somewhere I need to check?

Thank for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
E90_831
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post

Thank for the help!
I have the exact set up for my car, no issues so far. I'd shoot mike a pm and try to get another BOV, I wouldn't take it apart just yet. Make sure no vacuum leaks are present.

What other mods are on your car.?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
I've heard of people taking the tial apart and lightly lubing it. Or enlarging the vaccum port on the intake as to let more vaccum act upon the tial.
How do they enlarge it?

What spring do most people run? I have tial too.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

Sub'd, have ER with TiAl no problems so far..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Theres a DIY on how to do it, Whatever spring it came with as long as specified your vehicle should be the correct spring.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

bov

Quote:
Originally Posted by napeHbNYC View Post
Sub'd, have ER with TiAl no problems so far..
You need to really listen for it im sure it flutters its just not that noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Theres a DIY on how to do it, Whatever spring it came with as long as specified your vehicle should be the correct spring.
I tried searching for intake port enlargement. No luck. Help me out please
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

DO NOT MODIFY THE BOV, your spring is too strong, this VERY COMMON on these BOV's. You want it so it is JUST Closed at idle, the spring they suggest for our cars is too strong, get the black spring, and use washers to shim it so at idle it is barely closed, also make sure you have ONE vacuum line with no Tee's going to the BOV. I did a separate nipple with a 1/4" line from the manifold, and used a black spring, the BOV never worked so well.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
DO NOT MODIFY THE BOV, your spring is too strong, this VERY COMMON on these BOV's. You want it so it is JUST Closed at idle, the spring they suggest for our cars is too strong, get the black spring, and use washers to shim it so at idle it is barely closed, also make sure you have ONE vacuum line with no Tee's going to the BOV. I did a separate nipple with a 1/4" line from the manifold, and used a black spring, the BOV never worked so well.
A separate nipple?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
A separate nipple?
I needed one, I have 4 boost sources running from my manifold nipple, 2 map sensors, boost gauge, and fuel pressure regulator. The BOV does not work well if it does not have a dedicated vacuum source it does not share, no one is going to have 4 sources off their nipple like I do. If you have 1 tee its prob ok, but if you read the Tial instructions, it says to use a 1/4" vacuum line, that is why the nipple on the BOV is so big. Spring is the most important part, get the black spring and adjust it til its just closed at idle, if you are getting flutters its opening too late.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

bov

Quote:
I needed one, I have 4 boost sources running from my manifold nipple, 2 map sensors, boost gauge, and fuel pressure regulator. The BOV does not work well if it does not have a dedicated vacuum source it does not share, no one is going to have 4 sources off their nipple like I do. If you have 1 tee its prob ok, but if you read the Tial instructions, it says to use a 1/4" vacuum line, that is why the nipple on the BOV is so big. Spring is the most important part, get the black spring and adjust it til its just closed at idle, if you are getting flutters its opening too late.
No one said to modify the bov I did say to lube a little as other folks have done. How exactly do you shim it so it's closed at idle?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

bov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
I tried searching for intake port enlargement. No luck. Help me out please
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=nipple

there's the url but if you go to DIY sections and search NIPPLE it comes up posted by the one and only ROBC...lol very easy to do!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

im having the same issue with my hks..=( is there similar solution for the hks bov?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

bov

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post
im having the same issue with my hks..=( is there similar solution for the hks bov?
I believe the one we have currently is 1/8 and going up to 1/4 allows more vaccum to get thru just look at what Robc did and try it and see if it works. Home depot sells those nipples though I haven't heard of the HKS having that fluttering problem compared to the Tial.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No one said to modify the bov I did say to lube a little as other folks have done. How exactly do you shim it so it's closed at idle?
Oops, read that wrong. Easiest way is just take it apart and hit the hardware store for some washers that fit under the spring, each car will make slightly different vacuum. With the black spring in there it should be open when idling, try a washer at a time until its just closed at idle. That should get you just about perfect.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #17
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

bov

Quote:
Oops, read that wrong. Easiest way is just take it apart and hit the hardware store for some washers that fit under the spring, each car will make slightly different vacuum. With the black spring in there it should be open when idling, try a washer at a time until its just closed at idle. That should get you just about perfect.
What about just having a designated vaccum source for the BOV itself do you that could potentially solve the issue 1/4 of course or the same size as the BOV
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #18
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Quote:
dumb question, how would we know its just closed at idle. Are you saying take the BOV cap off while the car is running and add the washers? Im alil confused lol