E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptive headlamp module issues

08-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
CrazyJ
Private
Rep
Drives: tiag e90 335i

Adaptive headlamp module issues

The saga started with the passenger side xenon light going out. I got a new bulb, replaced, and it was still out. I researched and saw the ballast was likely the issue, so I put it _mostly_ back together and ordered the ballast. The thing is, that protective panel was such a bitch to get off, I figured I'd leave it off until the part arrived in case it would need to come off again. Well ... I got caught in a rainstorm .. and dammit-- adaptive headlight warning. Stupid me.

A day or so later, I got the ballast, installed it, lights worked, but I took the headlight assembly out and found water in the adaptive headlight module. I dried everything out real good with compressed air and put it back together. The passenger side headlamp is pointed all the way to the right, and it won't do anything. I wanted to verify the module is actually bad, so today I did some troubleshooting by switching the modules from driver and passenger side.

Default configuration:
- Drivers side module makes driver side light go up and down at start.
- Passenger side module DOES NOT make passenger side light go up and down at start

After switching modules:
- Passenger side module DOES NOT make drivers side light go up and down at start
- Drivers side module DOS NOT make passenger side light up up and down at start

I switched back and forth about 4 different times just to ensure the connect wiring sockets were making good contact and that I wasn't crazy.

So neither side works when I switch modules. What's going on here? Why doesn't the drivers side module work on the passenger light? Could it be an issue with coding? Could there be a short circuit code stored for the passenger side? Or is more stuff fried than I thought? Should I go ahead an order another module even though the one was only wet for a day? Should I take it to an indy shop and see if they can look through the codes?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Good info above, a summary of my experience researching this issue. I had an SMC fail due to condensation in the headlight last month.

I had this issue, and in my case I went #3 route. I bought a damaged headlight assembly on eBay for $80.

Took the SMC off the bottom and plugged it into my headlight. Then I went into NCSExpert and default coded the RSMC (write an empty MAN file to the module). Coding complete, module worked. Verified operation in INPA, new module was happy as a clam.

The Stepper Motor Controller (RSMC/LSMC in NCS) is controlled through the FRM, so I'm not sure if default coding them gives them a VIN or not. I did not have to change anything in the way of a VIN directly to get it to work.

I disagree somewhat with the last statement, the SMCs have conformal coating on the circuit board, which makes them waterproof to an extent. That being said, the location of the module is asking for sustained water in the event of a leak so eventually the coating fails.

PSA: If you have adaptive headlights, and you have condensation - you WILL eventually get a failed SMC module. Fix the leak!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
stormtrooper7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I'm having adaptive headlight issues right now too. They don't move side to side anymore, and the drivers side has the lazy eye issue. The last time I checked they still move up and down.

If I buy the modules and plug them in will the lights automatically move back to the correct (original) position? Or, do I need to do some coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

I ran into a similiar problem... Had my DL headlight go out. Took it to a local indy because I had to leave for work travel. they busted the cover and water got in. ruined my AHD controller. replaced that and the light on my dash went out but now both headlamps swing the same direction on start up and the DL light is aiming a bit left. I can't figure out how to adjust the aiming on these.
Appreciate 0