E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stett Oil cooler upgrade install?

02-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 535d

Stett Oil cooler upgrade install?

Has anyone taken this to a shop and had it installed? How many hours of labor was charged. And which kit did you have? I am trying to figure out how much it will cost me to have a shop install mine with thermostat and no previous oil cooler?

Last edited by kanecvl; 02-15-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nobody?
      02-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

02-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
momstmg78
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Glws
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

i think most places quote between 6 and 10 hours. without a factory cooler they need to remove the charge pipe and intake manifold, then replace your oil filter housing with the one meant for a factory oil cooler with the thermostat and outlet for the hoses, then run the hoses, remove the bumper, remove the crash bar, ect. its a time consuming job for sure
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hopefully my shop can do it in 6-8 since they specialize in German cars
      02-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Former boosted IS is the only one who i think has done the install so far. There is a lot of cutting and drilling involved, so I would guess it might take at least 10 hours to install. You can PM him to find out:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ETT+oil+cooler
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I asked him in that thread. His set up is different cause he had an oil cooler. And he was doing the right up so it took more time. I wanna know what shops are charging
      02-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
e93ro
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

had problems with the pipes, one have broken and almost all of engine's oil was on my front left wheel. replaced by new stronger pipes. take care !!! I did by myself the install, took about 2 hours or so, but testing against any leaking took even more than that. also you have to add some oil and test the level after the engine is really hot
Procede V5, AMS FMIC, AR c-less DPs & Borla exhaust, DCI, CDV, STETT Charge Pipe+BOV, KW CoilOvers, CMGS Meth kit CM10, AR additional oil cooler, Quaife LSD, TD stage 1 turbo upgrade, RIX Gauge, ACT street clutch
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93ro View Post
had problems with the pipes, one have broken and almost all of engine's oil was on my front left wheel. replaced by new stronger pipes. take care !!! I did by myself the install, took about 2 hours or so, but testing against any leaking took even more than that. also you have to add some oil and test the level after the engine is really hot
so the STETT oil cooler lines broke? wow, thats not good considering the price they are charging folks for em'.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
i think most places quote between 6 and 10 hours. without a factory cooler they need to remove the charge pipe and intake manifold, then replace your oil filter housing with the one meant for a factory oil cooler with the thermostat and outlet for the hoses, then run the hoses, remove the bumper, remove the crash bar, ect. its a time consuming job for sure
Don't forget the microfilter housing (cabin air filter,) and engine air filter housing. Last thing I can think of is transferring the oil pressure switch from the old oil filter housing to new housing replacing the sealing washer, (the dealer I went to said I had to buy the whole switch, $9 dollar something at wholesale.) If you don't have the sport package, you will need to change the right side fog light. You can verify that the one you need has a lens that is glass and has a part number on it. (I made two trips to a dealer because realoem was wrong and stated I had the correct foglight when I didn't, the wrong one is plastic with no part number. I wanted both sides to match, and so I took the chance and ordered the right side one first, and then the left. The glass one's reflector sits much closer to the lens.) My car doesn't have the sport package.

You can get yourself a dremel at Kmart to do some of the cutting very quickly. If I could install a Dinan one myself, someone who's last work on a BMW was installing mud flaps and a little trim edge guard 3M tape, you can probably do it also. You can always ask me if you have questions. I ended up taking out the throttle body as well (You should replace the gasket from the throttle body to intake manifold.)... Be sure you go and buy the three bolts for the oil filter housing as they are one time use. I'm betting some are just reusing these, but since the part is aluminum, you have to use aluminum fasteners, and these "stretch" upon tightening.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
so the STETT oil cooler lines broke? wow, thats not good considering the price they are charging folks for em'.
If he is talking about pipes, then it must be the stock lines he is referring to. There is no way you could bust the STETT lines. They are bear-ish.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
e93ro
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

it was about AR oil cooler kit but using the stett core, dont know if we are refering to the exactly same product, pipes were provided into the kit. As far as I heard not very tolerant to high temps, were also very short and maybe from engine movement during wot they just have broken. replaced the pipes with better ones for approx 100$
Procede V5, AMS FMIC, AR c-less DPs & Borla exhaust, DCI, CDV, STETT Charge Pipe+BOV, KW CoilOvers, CMGS Meth kit CM10, AR additional oil cooler, Quaife LSD, TD stage 1 turbo upgrade, RIX Gauge, ACT street clutch
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #14
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93ro View Post
it was about AR oil cooler kit but using the stett core, dont know if we are refering to the exactly same product, pipes were provided into the kit. As far as I heard not very tolerant to high temps, were also very short and maybe from engine movement during wot they just have broken. replaced the pipes with better ones for approx 100$
You are talking about the stock oil lines right, not the hoses provided with the STETT kit?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
You are talking about the stock oil lines right, not the hoses provided with the STETT kit?
The lines are interchangeable from the AR and STETT kits on the thermostat side. I do not think the stock lines fit either. I have both kits. I didn't try the fittings onto the oil cooler but they are both SETRAB so I'm assuming they are the same as well. (Don't know if this helps you any.)

Last edited by jzchen; 02-18-2011 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: SQ5

Plan for 6 - 10 hours (6 if you don't need to retrofit the oil filter housing). I was lucky enough to find a shop that would cap off at 8 hours regardless on how long they took.

If you need to retrofit the oil housing, it is a daunting task. The intake manifold needs to be removed and if you are an xi I think the sub frame needs to be dropped.

Also mentioned above, pressure testing is important so you should plan to have a shop do the testing if you have DIY'd it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNU...Q3Jp5G4lSkGdKQ
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Brad View Post
Plan for 6 - 10 hours (6 if you don't need to retrofit the oil filter housing). I was lucky enough to find a shop that would cap off at 8 hours regardless on how long they took.

If you need to retrofit the oil housing, it is a daunting task. The intake manifold needs to be removed and if you are an xi I think the sub frame needs to be dropped.

Also mentioned above, pressure testing is important so you should plan to have a shop do the testing if you have DIY'd it.
No subframe drop necessary on mine. You can raise the intake manifold, you don't have to completely remove it. There is some kind of "box", (I forget exactly what it was,) that you need to remove with a special tool. I couldn't get it off the mount, so I just raised the intake manifold up and tried to make sure the gaskets weren't broken before putting it back together. I think I had to drill out the rivets in the crash bar to be able to mount the oil cooler mount. I didn't have mine pressure tested. Seems fine....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Not to thead-jack, but I bought an ER Sport oil cooler, which uses the stock oil thermostat. Took 4 hours at a shop to install. If you don't have the stock cooler and need the "adapter" kit, ER has that available as well. The install is a little easier than the Stett unit. Stett's product is a good one, no doubt, but it all depends on whether you want to bypass the oil thermostat or use their "remotely mounted" unit.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #19
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Former boosted IS is the only one who i think has done the install so far. There is a lot of cutting and drilling involved, so I would guess it might take at least 10 hours to install. You can PM him to find out:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ETT+oil+cooler
I have the stage 2 oil cooler and it took 4 hours to install....not to much cutting actually. That is a gret tutorial you linked...helped me a ton when doing mine.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #20
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
If he is talking about pipes, then it must be the stock lines he is referring to. There is no way you could bust the STETT lines. They are bear-ish.
Totally agree with that.....I couldn't break them if I had 2 sets of vice grips...they are VERY stought.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
moabslickrock
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan, '96 e36 m3

Stett Stage 2 oil cooler install time

Indy BMW shop took 10 hours to install. '07 Sport without oem cooler. M3 style bumper. Very tight fit to bumper. Took out foglights, and am trying to find a way to delete the missing foglight code. Also; there's a noise that lasts about 30 seconds after car is heated up to about185 degrees fahrenheit, may be thermostat?
      02-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #22
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabslickrock View Post
Indy BMW shop took 10 hours to install. '07 Sport without oem cooler. M3 style bumper. Very tight fit to bumper. Took out foglights, and am trying to find a way to delete the missing foglight code. Also; there's a noise that lasts about 30 seconds after car is heated up to about185 degrees fahrenheit, may be thermostat?
thumping noise is the thermostat opening causing he lines to fill and shake. I still have the fog light codes after a year lol!! Took me 6 hours to install mine with lunch breaks and working slow.
Appreciate 0