E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Two cables above the manifold, how to remove?

03-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Two cables above the manifold, how to remove?

Could some one tell me if the cables in a plastic sleeve that run above the intake manifold can be removed and if so what is the correct procedure? I want them out of the way tomorrow so I can fit my clean manifold back on without breaking anything. They were a PITA when removing the manifold. Or at least tell me what they are called so I can try googling for the answer.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm talking about the one I circled in the pic. One is a tube/hose the other one is a red cable. I disconnect both but still don't know what they are. The pipe probably doesn't matter but I'm a bit worried about the red cable. I disconnected it without disconnecting the battery. Do I just connect it back up or is there going to be some sort of reset of something that I should know about? I'm asking because I have no idea and BMW's can be a bit complicated.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

It is the cable that connects to the battery. Normally, one would disconnect the battery in the boot.

From looking at the picture, I see that you have not removed the strut braces. Remove them and you will have more room for manoeuvring the cables. If you want even more slack, remove the cable boots that connect to the DME housing.

One can now understand why it was difficult to remove the manifold in the first place.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It's not an actual picture of my engine bay, I googled it and made a copy

I have removed the struts. And now I have removed the cables by undoing them on the left side where the brake fluid is. It made fitting the manifold back on very easy. But rain interrupted before I could finish.

So after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery on an E90 is there anything that needs to be done to the car or is everything same as before and it can be started and driven? Might sound stupid but I am new to BMWs and want to make sure there is nothing that needs doing after reconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

The Internet of Things

Just make sure you connect everything back to the intake manifold correctly and you should be good to go. Why did you remove the intake manifold anyway ? And I'm sure you put in new gaskets as well, right ?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I cleaned it and I replaced one swirl flap that was broken with a good one that was donated to me by Digitalize. But no new gaskets, I forgot about them I also blanked the EGR at the exhaust manifold end and also fitted a new thermostat. Also just as I started putting things back I discovered the intake manifold vacuum box is kaput so I will not connect it to the vacuum to keep the flaps open. But at least I will be able to drive my car. I'll order a new one and fit that later. Should I get new gaskets for the manifold too? They looked okay but tbh I don't know what they are supposed to look like. And tbh I am not going to keep those swirl falps forever. After a year I will either blank or buy a new manifold.
Appreciate 0