E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > AE DRL's

07-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #45
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulrog View Post
this DIY was meant to only be for AE's... can you email me and describe exactly what you did? perhaps i can locate what the issue might be. the email is support@aftermarketbulbsshop.com
He doesn't have angel eyes because pre-LCI E90 halogens did not come with angel eyes....he wants welcome lighting but that doesn't make sense because he doesn't have angel eyes.

INeedHelp1234, you need to get some headlights with angel eyes in them to get welcome lighting. You can get xenons or LCI headlights and retrofit them...both options are 1k+.

Technically you "can" have welcome lighting, just not for your angel eyes because you don't have them. Only your tails and rear license plate lights would be the "welcome lighting." I guess you can wire the the DRL lights to be welcome light too but I beleive they are basically your high beam lamps running at about 25% power. Your LCM or some other module controls that limitation and you would need to incorporate that into your mod or else your high beams would be running at full power.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #46
INeedHelp1234
Rep
Drives: 55plate 320D

I have put Xenon bulbs in b4 the mod. What I was thinking was could I not tap into the cable that flash's the headlights so when the cars off and you open the doors it flash's the headlights (That sets off a manual welcome light) because when the cars on and you flash the lights the headlights come on for about 30secs.

Also footwell lights still not working..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #47
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Did you get a HID conversion kit? You can't just put xenon bulbs in a halogen fixture...you probably just changed the temperature of your bulbs. You need a ballast. The feature your talking about is called pathway lighting. Again this is controlled by a module in your car and in order for it to work with locking/unlocking your car, you need something to regulate the power/timing.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #48
INeedHelp1234
Rep
Drives: 55plate 320D

I got the bulbs off ebay. They was direct fits and they said they was xenons bulbs.

I was thinking if I wire a cable from the outside door handle lights to the cable that activates the pathway lighting then won't that trigger the pathway lighting to work?

Do you have any suggestions about the power/timing
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #49
Chard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulrog View Post
yup if you already have DRL's you could just tap into that.
How do we do this?

I have an e90 pre-LCI with welcome lights and DRLs already.

Ideally, I'd select the DRL option on iDrive and the Angel Eyes would come on instead of the actual DRL. I would like to disable the stock DRL bulbs because I think it'd look funny if those were on in conjunction with the AEs.

Anyone know how to get this error free?

I'll probably do this at the same time as corner bulb delete/LED turn signal.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #50
Goodneighbor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4, 07 328i

Ok so I am now experiencing a similar problem as "Ineedhelp". I hooked the AE's up to the footwell lights and everything worked great. I followed the DIY and worked flawlessly. So this weekend I decided to hook the AE's up the cigarette lighter to convert them so they are on continuously. So I did that and they worked just find, but then i started getting an error and my footwell lights have not worked since I hooked up the cig lighter. I have the diodes in all the right places. I also checked all of the fuses and none are blown. Is there a specific fuse for the footwell lights or are they on a relay? If they are on a relay how do I check that or fix that? Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #51
klove83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3

Garage List
Nice mod I pan on doing this soon. Do you guys use the diodes in the pdf in the first post?
      03-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #52
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Just a heads up....I un did my wiring because some of the diodes blew out and my footwell lights would stay on with the headlights.

Idk why the diodes blew but I'm just letting you guys know what will happen if they do.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #53
The_DDub
Mmmm torque
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss, hard and fast

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
This can be done with coding now. Safer than wiring in leads from cig, etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #54
anks
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Just a heads up....I un did my wiring because some of the diodes blew out and my footwell lights would stay on with the headlights.

Idk why the diodes blew but I'm just letting you guys know what will happen if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_DDub View Post
This can be done with coding now. Safer than wiring in leads from cig, etc..
Hi, I want to attempt this on the weekend.
Can you let me know what diode you were using that blew? i've read on this thread that some used a 1amp diode and others a 3amp? I'm guessing i should go with a 3amp to be on the safer side?

Also, being new to doing these kinds of mods on my e90, I was wondering when tapping into the AE power cable, can that be accessed from under the hood? or do I need to jack the car up and remove the wheel coverings etc to get the AE's that way?

If i chose not to fiddle around with the wiring, how can I get the welcome lights through coding? is this thru the dealer updating idrive to enable this feature or is there another way? I would be very interested to find out.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #55
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Those of you with blown diodes either got the wrong ones, or installed them in the wrong place. I have done this on my E60, and for many other E60s since last year, and no problem at all.

As for INeedHelp, I believe your problem is because the "welcome light" circuit cannot provide the power needed to power on your high beams. If i remember correctly, the high beams on your model draws 50-55W each side. I can't factually say this, but I remembering seeing somewhere that this particular circuit caps out at 100w. Which means that with all the other lighting, this is not going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #56
anks
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Did any of you have problems with the radioshack wire taps lasting long term?
I've been reading around that they're often prone to fail and that soldering might be the way to go? so who of you actually soldered the wires in?

Just a thought - the point of the diode is to make sure the current can only flow one way. So when putting a diode between the right and left AE's:
"headlight right-----------------> diode---- footwell Left headlight^"
and you've actually turned your headlight switch on at night, the current will still flow from the left AE to the right AE.
Since its a series connection, does that mean the left AE will be more dimmer than the right AE?

Or have most people done it similar to k3m0-330i where he's used both footwell lights to power the AE's individually without connecting the two

Sorry for the silly questions!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #57
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
does this involve any cutting of any wires? cause i have no idea what im doing
      06-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #58
Akras
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Hi

I would also connect the taillights and the illumination of registration.
Does anyone know if I need to connect every cable individual or somewhere in the harness is the one responsible for the entire backward?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #59
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Hey I had a question I have an 07 335i sedan I wanted to have my coronas as drl also. I did the fog light delete on my m3 rep bumper and added the m3 ducts. I was thinking of powering the corona lights with the fog light power and adding diodes to only allow power in one direction. Then I can turn off/on the Coronas during the day by the fog light switch for dealer visits. What do you guys think.

Last edited by loweredram; 06-16-2011 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #60
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

So can I run a wire to my footwell light AND my cigarette lighter to get welcome lights AND drls? Also, my angel eyes are aftermarket LED. Does that make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #61
RKElks
Rep
Drives: '07 335i E90

Break lights won't go off...?

Completed this mod successfully (great mod btw) but now my break lights come on as soon as I pop my keyfob in and then they never go off until turning off the car. In fact, I no longer even have to put my foot on the break to start the engine. As soon as my key is in I a can press start and it starts right up. Apparently I've done something to make the car think the breaks are being applied. Anyone hear if this before?

I noticed that there is a small module (approx 0.5"x 2"x 2.5") that's mounted on the underneath side of the divers footwell and has a marking that shows "ABS". I had dropped the footwell down for tapping into the drivers-side footwell light for this mod. Could have I damaged something on this component to cause the break lights to stay on continuously?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

^^edit to above:

Never mind on the module under the footwell, I google'd the code and it appears to be something to do with the Bluetooth antenna (not related to the breaking system).

...still searching if anyone has ideas. I've disconnected my wiring from this mod just for kicks and break light problem still exists.

Last edited by RKElks; 08-21-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #62
RKElks
Rep

...just to add to the above, I did remove my front wheels in this process (to double check that I was using the correct wire color to the AE's). Is the a possibility that I bumped something on the break system to cause my tail lights to stay on?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #63
steevysteve
06 e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I just did this on my e90 today, ran both sides to the driver footwell, however my AE are flickering as they come on and off instead of a smooth flow. Im assuming its because it is draining too much power from that little footwell light, I am going to rewire the passenger side to the passenger light tomorrow.
      08-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #64
RKElks
Rep

Tail light issue update

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKElks View Post
Completed this mod successfully (great mod btw) but now my break lights come on as soon as I pop my keyfob in and then they never go off until turning off the car.
Just a quick update; kept digging and noticed a small sensor at the top if the break pedel extension/lever which was aparently adjustable. Gave it a little push toward the break lever and fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #65
steevysteve
06 e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
FINALLY!! I did this a couple days ago but for some reason the AE's wouldn't stay on as DRL so I did it again today and VOILA! Looks great, and put me in a great mood to start my friday
      08-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #66
taranonline
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

guys dont do this. code it. dont run wires in your car. go to the coding section and check out.
Appreciate 0