E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

02-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #67
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

a few pictures for reference:

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_rGYgXuCyWOc/TWAZfxAfR-I/AAAAAAAADJo/ZOHYIVkjV4Y/s912/IMG_5121.JPG[/IMG

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #68
dasammy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 320D

Here is a short discription how to swap the side-airbags and seat belt tensioners...

seat belt tensioners:

1.) remove the "L" connector from the yellow seat connector
2.) remove any zip tie and clips etc. from the seat belt tensioners cable
3.) loose the torx-screw at the tensioner (believe it was a T50 - but not sure)
4.) remove the cable and tensioner ... remember how it was fastened
5.) swap the tensioner to your new seats
6.) connect everything like it was before
7.) done

side airbags:

1.) remove the bezel on the back of the seat:
1.1.) there are 2 clips on the bottom of the bezel. You have to cut them with a carpet cutter or something similar. You will need new ones: part number: 52 20 1 964 201
1.2.) after that you have to twist the bezel a little bit clockwise und push it downward. Be carefull, otherwise the mounting parts could brake!
2.) take the bezel aside
3.) remove the seat cover on the side where the airbag is situated. You have to remove it from the seat frame by pushing it inward the seat.
4.) it should look like that:

the black box is the airbag!
5.) remove the 2 screw nuts with which the airbag is attached to the seat frame. Remember how many turns it takes until the screw nut comes off.
6.) remove the airbag connector from the yellow seat connector
7.) remove any zip tie and clips etc. from the airbag cable
8.) put the airbag with the cable aside ... remember how it was fastened
9.) swap the airbag to your new seats
10.) connect everything like it was before
11.) done
Attached Images

Last edited by dasammy; 02-20-2011 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #69
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

I think my belt tensioners are faulty and the cause of the airbag warning so I will switch the original one onto the sport seats.

I have attached the TIS instruction to install the tensioner and the airbag.

Last edited by woodpecka; 06-28-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #70
dasammy
Enlisted Member
Rep

02-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #71
Simonn
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB E90

great info!!!

successfully completed the retrofit

thanks for the help guys
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #72
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

congrat!

It's fun to know that this thread is useful.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #73
dasammy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Simonn sent me a Mail were he discribed another good place for tapping into the K_CAN

Quote:
I remember very clearly that the sub enclosure grill was taken out and the carpet where the wire harness comes out of, we lifted it forward and [...] found a wire harness there that had the K_CAN wires..(green + orange/green and we bypassed the connector itself and connected it directly to the seats ... the wire harness that im talking about is located under the carpet by the yellow connector
Thanks Simonn!!
      02-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #74
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Nice one! It just make it simple.

BTW, I got away of the airbag warning lights...it was caused by the seat belt tensioner. Now all is working!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #75
Simonn
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB E90

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #76
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

I haven't code my car and I discovered that the key memory function is working!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #77
adam246
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Been reading this section with interest as my side bolsters are not working after I did the heated seat retrofit.

So as for ther fuse that relates to the side bolsters (backrest width adjustment) it looks although they would be F37? But is this a 10 amp or 30 amp fuse?

p.s i have a 2005 E90 manual sports seats that have ahd the heated function retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #78
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

I have successfully activated the seat memory function with the key fobs and cluster option.

1- You must know how to code. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

2- VO $459 must be added to CAS and FRM

ftp://94.212.182.18/Other-Software/N..._Order_CAS.pdf

3- KOMBI must be modified with these values:
SITZ_AUT_VERST_AUS
aktiv
SITZ_AUT_VERST_ENT
aktiv
SITZ_AUT_VERST_ENT_T
aktiv

Party!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #79
MrJet
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E90

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for a great DIY. After i read it i went to my favorite BMW used car parts store and bought a set Dakota Terra sports leather seats with seat heating and memory. I have done the cabling, my car did not have any options, so I had to install cables for power and canbus for the driver seat and power and seat heat control for the passenger seat – more of that to come, I will write about my challenges with the install later.

But right now I have a problem. My seat heat in the passenger side doesn’t work. The canbus controlled on the driver side is ok. I have checked the power, constant 12V on pin 4 and 9, ground on 8 and 13, 12V ignition on pin 5 and the seat heat control on pin 1. My guess is that there are two possible errors, either is pin 1 not correctly connected to X14270 pin 38 or the coding is no good. I have added $459, $481, $488, $494 to VO and recoded. But do I have to code more? Is it possible to have a look at yours .TRC files? And does anybody know if it is possible to measure the seat heat control signal? If it is a pulse modulation signal I think that you have to use an oscilloscope with I don’t have.

Best Regards,
Christian
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #80
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks!

When you have added the VOs, have you recoded all your modules (read/write)? You need to do this for any affected modules to get the update. There is my main TRC file if it can help you.

I'm sure you know that the heating signals are not working on the same bus on the driver and passenger side. So try to found which parameter is activating the SHFA_PWM signal.

Thanks for sharing your experience in this DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #81
MrJet
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Thanks!

When you have added the VOs, have you recoded all your modules (read/write)? You need to do this for any affected modules to get the update. There is my main TRC file if it can help you.

I'm sure you know that the heating signals are not working on the same bus on the driver and passenger side. So try to found which parameter is activating the SHFA_PWM signal.

Thanks for sharing your experience in this DIY.
Hi woodpecka. I am not that familiar with coding, but i think that i did

I cannot see your TRC file, did you upload it?

Yes, i know. The canbus is controlling the driver side and SHFA_PWM is the passenger side.

Thanks for you help

Best regards,
Christian
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #82
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Try to read and write all your module as explain in the forum coding section, just in case.

There is my TRC file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSW_PSW_CAR_v3.txt (220.8 KB, 2181 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #83
MrJet
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Try to read and write all your module as explain in the forum coding section, just in case.

There is my TRC file.
Thanks a lot. I have been away all weekend, so did not have the time to try to recode. But i have compared your trc file with mine and i did not find any difference that could be seat heat related. Later this week i will try to read/write modules and tripple check my wire harness. I will post the result here.

Best Regards,
Christian
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #84
MrJet
Denmark
Rep

Hello again

Good news, SITZHEIZUNG_LOW = aktiv did the trick. Anybody knows the difference between SITZHEIZUNG_LOW and SITZHEIZUNG?

Added the SITZ_AUT_VERST_AUS, SITZ_AUT_VERST_ENT and SITZ_AUT_VERST_ENT_T also and memory with the keys did also work, BUT only with one key Every time I unlock the door and enters the seat stays in it position and does not move and i will have to press on the "1" button. But when my girlfriend enters with her key the seat move automatically to the "2" position. I have saved the seatmemory with my key and the ignigtion on but still it doesnt move Appreciate any help

Best Regards,
Christian
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #85
Radu83
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport Aut.

Thank you guys , did the retrofit today from manual sport with heating to full powered with sport seats with memory and heating . Everything works perfectly , all you need really is basic knowledge and follow this thread . THANKS
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #86
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJet View Post
Hello again

Good news, SITZHEIZUNG_LOW = aktiv did the trick. Anybody knows the difference between SITZHEIZUNG_LOW and SITZHEIZUNG?

Added the SITZ_AUT_VERST_AUS, SITZ_AUT_VERST_ENT and SITZ_AUT_VERST_ENT_T also and memory with the keys did also work, BUT only with one key Every time I unlock the door and enters the seat stays in it position and does not move and i will have to press on the "1" button. But when my girlfriend enters with her key the seat move automatically to the "2" position. I have saved the seatmemory with my key and the ignigtion on but still it doesnt move Appreciate any help

Best Regards,
Christian
Have you add the new VO to the car and the KOMBI? If yes, can you see the see position setting into your cluster?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #87
Radu83
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport Aut.

Quote:
Nice one! It just make it simple.

BTW, I got away of the airbag warning lights...it was caused by the seat belt tensioner. Now all is working!
Hi Woodpecka , what was wromg with the seat belt tensioner ? I cant get rid of the warning lights for airbag and seat belt tensioner for the passenger seat after recoding . It gives me a message like some circuit or plug is interrupted/disconnected and something for seat occupancy sensor
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #88
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu83 View Post
Hi Woodpecka , what was wromg with the seat belt tensioner ? I cant get rid of the warning lights for airbag and seat belt tensioner for the passenger seat after recoding . It gives me a message like some circuit or plug is interrupted/disconnected and something for seat occupancy sensor
My seat belt tensioners were deployed during the previous car crash. I replaced them with the old ones.

When the root cause is resolve, you can remove the airbag error with INPA (coding)
Appreciate 0