E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > No Sound Coming From Left Side.....

03-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
SEE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i sedan monaco blue

No Sound Coming From Left Side.....

Searched but didn't find exact issue.

This morning I started my car and all speakers were working. Drove about 100 yards and all speakers on the left side cut out. Switched from Satellite to Terrestrial radio same thing. Turned the volume up higher and the left side came back on and has been working fine since. I have the Hifi, non-logic system in an '08 E90. Anything I should be concerned about or anomaly. Is the start of a failing amp?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
SEE90
Private
Rep

No responses but I will document here until I resolve it.

Because of all the pollen I have washed my car twice this week. A couple hours after washing the car yesterday the sound cut out again on the left side. I turned up the volume and there was some static but it cleared and both sides were fine. It has been fine all day today with multiple trips and turning on and off. The morning it cut out a couple of days ago I washed it the night before. Is there something that could be getting wet and causing the problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

you could check the amplifier for wetness.

Its in the driver side rear fender area . In mine its under the plastic tool
kit area between the wheel well and rear fender.
Its the same position for all e9x if it has and amp Hi Fi or L7.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
SEE90
Private
Rep

So you think it is the amp starting to go as well? I was thinking about doing one of VP Electricity's basic upgrades. Just do not want to pay a dealership a bunch of money to diagnose the problem when it could go towards upgrades. Also, wanted to see if anyone else has had same problem/symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You said you washed it .

So I thought you were looking for shorts in areas that water could theoretically get into. I have a VP system its really nice, magnitudes better than stock .
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
So I thought you were looking for shorts in areas that water could theoretically get into. I have a VP system its really nice, magnitudes better than stock .
Yeah I suppose I am looking for some kind of short cause by water. Just didn't think there was a way for water to get in where the amp is. I will probably wash my car again if there is no significant rain tomorrow (insane pollen) and check to see if any moisture is in the amp area.

As for VP's setups I will probably get the Jehnert subs, JL 600 6 and do the install myself..... IF, this amp does quit working on me. Just hope it is not the head unit.
Appreciate 0