E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best current non-iDrive OE style Android head unit

10-13-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Best current non-iDrive OE style Android head unit

It seems that the regularly recommended manufacturers of Android head units have all moved on to 9" screens for non-iDrive e9x models in the stock location. Unfortunately, these don't blend in nearly as well as the older 7" models (e.g. (Dynavin N7 Pro, Eonon GA9465, Xtrons PB7890BP) due to their lack of buttons/knobs and the fact that they stick out quite a bit. So that leaves various Aliexpress vendors. On the bright side, some of those vendors have seemingly updated models with faster processors and have dropped the CD/DVD player.

So does anyone have experience with the available models/vendors? There are lots of 7" variations out there, with any CPU/RAM/storage combo you might want.

There is also one 8" model out there by "Kapud" with the same overall style. I'm tempted to try this, but the faceplate supposedly measures 15mm taller, which might make the HVAC controls fit even worse than usual after relocation. Kapud seems to offer a variety of models for other older BMWs also FWIW.

Not interested in cutting my dash at this point for one of the 10.25/12.3" units.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:35 PM   #2
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Tagging because I've got the same question -- my professional HU is giving me issues (dead pixels but also seems to be intermittently failing/acting up in cold weather) and I'm interested in replacing it with something else. My main proirity is as close to an OE look as possible.
      10-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

I've been looking really hard at the Joying head units. But I'm afraid I like the Joying for the opposite of what you are looking for. They offer several options including a built in look but I like the look of the extra big screen that sticks out a bit (and while not marketed towards will work in the BMW)

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732385
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:26 PM   #4
EX0PIL0T
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
There is also one 8" model out there by "Kapud" with the same overall style. I'm tempted to try this, but the faceplate supposedly measures 15mm taller, which might make the HVAC controls fit even worse than usual after relocation. Kapud seems to offer a variety of models for other older BMWs also FWIW.

Not interested in cutting my dash at this point for one of the 10.25/12.3" units.
You end up fitting one of them?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:06 PM   #5
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX0PIL0T View Post
You end up fitting one of them?
Nope. My wife, who is the primary driver of this car now, decided she didn’t want the look of her interior to change.

From what I can tell, there are a handful of manufacturers of main boards used in these units. Other manufacturers make frames and controls that are customized for each vehicle model. And yet someone else makes the screens. Various companies then assemble these parts into complete units. So basically, find the combination of parts and specs that you want and pick a vendor. It’s largely a crapshoot for support after the sale, so I don’t think it matters which one you pick. Eonon, Xtrons, Joyeauto are some of the better known brands that have a bit better support, but are also just resellers of the same parts in the end.
Appreciate 0