E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > New Coil Packs...WTF is going on?

04-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

New Coil Packs...WTF is going on?

I have an 09 e90 335. I am using a Cobb AP and until last week was using a Wedge Performance Tune. I am still trying to dial it in and have recently had a few misfires which I figured were due to the old (original) coil packs. Plugs were done 7k ago so I know they're fresh.

Anyway, I went back to the Cobb tune (Aggressive FMIC+) until I swapped out to new coil packs. After that I could go back to the more aggressive tune from Wedge.

Tonight I decided to swap put the coil packs...after doing so, I fired up the car and it ran like complete and total dog shit. It threw a few CELs and idled so rough that I did't want to put it in drive.

The codes it had thrown tonight and in the past all pointed to cylinder 5. I went back to 5, pulled the plug and checked the connection...all good and solid. All others were the same. Fired the car up again...same thing...running like crap.

The coil packs were ordered through a vendor at Amazon and look identical to the OEM. They are Bosch and have a manufacture date of late 2014...the OEMs are 2008. They fit fine and looked great.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues? I guess it's time to go to the dealer for the OEM?

I truly am perplexed.

Short version:

Needed new coils, bot Bosch but not from the dealer. Installed and he car ran like shit. Had to go back to my old OEM coils to get the car to run. Confused as to why the new ones didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

This is the N55 section. But really switch the coil packs around and see if the code follows. Easiest way to determine if it is a coil.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

hope u learned ur lesson.
mismatch coilpacks not a good idea.
just throw down the money for okada coilpacks
      04-02-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiE90 View Post
hope u learned ur lesson.
mismatch coilpacks not a good idea.
just throw down the money for okada coilpacks
I DK how I out this in the N55 section...sorry guys.

What do you mean by mismatched Coil packs? They're all Bosch, brand new and bought from the same vendor....just not the 'OEM' from the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
Manoah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i, LE R1

do what weehe said, on cyl 1, swap out the new coils one at a time till you find the one thats giving you troubles.
      04-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoah View Post
do what weehe said, on cyl 1, swap out the new coils one at a time till you find the one thats giving you troubles.
Well what I don't get is why when I swap out the new ones back to the old ones, the car runs like a top?

This started because when I go WOT with my aggressive pro tune, I get a few codes and it goes into limp mode. My thought was to swap all of the coils for new ones because it's good maintenance.

I know there is an issue, presumably Cyln 5 but why would the completely run like crap after swapping out to all new ones?

I know what I'm doing too...connections and fit were both good. Curious if these coils just aren't going to work for the N54.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Manoah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i, LE R1

possibly the new coils are bad? im a newbie to the tuning scene, just got my JB4 in yesterday, ive got problems too. lol
      04-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

If plugs are new, and good coils, and only happen on WOT, then maybe injectors? How many miles do you have and did you replace injectors?

Try to swap a coil to see if it follows, as I had a similar issue and changed couple coils, then some more and eventually replaced all as just got tired of fishing. In my case it was plugs, then coils, then injectors.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
If plugs are new, and good coils, and only happen on WOT, then maybe injectors? How many miles do you have and did you replace injectors?

Try to swap a coil to see if it follows, as I had a similar issue and changed couple coils, then some more and eventually replaced all as just got tired of fishing. In my case it was plugs, then coils, then injectors.
I keep getting a cyl5 code when WOT on the old coil packs and aggressive tune. No codes when I flash back to the Cobb map. When I swapped out the old for all new, I can't even drive the car it shutters and feels like its going to die.

It could be injectors but if the car runs fine with my old coils then i'm guessing not.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt it is a coil then if you swapped it with other cylinders and misfire did not change. If you did plugs and coils, then injectors could be next. How many miles on the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
I doubt it is a coil then if you swapped it with other cylinders and misfire did not change. If you did plugs and coils, then injectors could be next. How many miles on the car?
It's not like that...it's a mystery.

With the old coils (original I presume) the car runs fine. BUT if I have the Pro tune map and WOT, I pull a code. If I flash back to the Cobb map (again with the
old coils), there is no codes and I can beat it like a drum...all good.

Last night I swap all of the 'old' coil packs for brand new ones. and the effing thing runs like crap. So bad that I cannot even get it out of my garage. So the old coils are better than 'new' ones, regardless of the tune because I cannot get the car out of my garage after installing the new ones....odd.

I don't think it has anything to do with the injectors at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Only thing I can think of is that they are all defective, not genuine and/or wrong part.

Return them and try to find the real deal from a reputable vendor. (Not a sales pitch as I don't even sell them).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, check the coils that you got, as maybe they are wrong ones. Where did you buy them from? Take pictures of old to new next to each other. I hope they don't make knock off coils yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #14
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Only thing I can think of is that they are all defective, not genuine and/or wrong part.

Return them and try to find the real deal from a reputable vendor. (Not a sales pitch as I don't even sell them).

Seriously. You get what you pay for. The ones I received seem like OEM...look and feel like the new but obviously there is a big issue. Fkn killing me.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #15
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

In my experience, aftermarket coils are always a bad idea. I've never had a good experience, especially on VW's/Audi's lol.

This reminds me of right when I bought my car.. above ~6k it would misfire on cyl 6. So I swapped coils between 5 and 6.. 32k and two spark plug changes since, and it's never misfired. wtf?
      04-06-2015, 05:40 AM   #16
FL335
Banned
Rep

They're not aftermarket...they're bosch just like the ones form the factory. The only difference is they were not purchased from the dealer. Same thing with plugs...ones from the dealer are 2-3x that of the Bosch after market equivaelnt.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #17
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep

Try exchanging the coil packs as they seem defective. I also got mine which were BOSCH, but form Amazon and did not have any issues. Are you sure you got the correct part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #18
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is

I'm having a similar issue. All new coils and the car starts and drives but has random misfires and typically it is cylinder 5/4. The only difference is my car only idles rough for maybe 30 seconds when the car is not warmed up and its not very horrible. My rough idle started after swapping the plugs but the misfire was shortly after that. They were all gapped the same, NGK one step colder plugs, all new bosch coils. Other cylinders were mis firing but the new coils took care of those cylinders. 5/4 just keep returning. I was thinking I need a walnut blast or new injectors but I only have 30k since a walnut blast and new injectors
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #19
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHleen View Post
I'm having a similar issue. All new coils and the car starts and drives but has random misfires and typically it is cylinder 5/4. The only difference is my car only idles rough for maybe 30 seconds when the car is not warmed up and its not very horrible. My rough idle started after swapping the plugs but the misfire was shortly after that. They were all gapped the same, NGK one step colder plugs, all new bosch coils. Other cylinders were mis firing but the new coils took care of those cylinders. 5/4 just keep returning. I was thinking I need a walnut blast or new injectors but I only have 30k since a walnut blast and new injectors
Try resetting the ECU that's disturbing if its all new plugs, could and injectors w/in the last 30k

Is the car tuned?

I just returned the new "bad" coil packs and reordered Bosch from another vendor...hopefully this helps for me. I really only get CEL and corresponding misfire when I use my tuned map which we're still trying to dial in. Regardless, I do believe it is a mechanical issue in my case...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #20
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHleen View Post
Try resetting the ECU that's disturbing if its all new plugs, could and injectors w/in the last 30k

Is the car tuned?

I just returned the new "bad" coil packs and reordered Bosch from another vendor...hopefully this helps for me. I really only get CEL and corresponding misfire when I use my tuned map which we're still trying to dial in. Regardless, I do believe it is a mechanical issue in my case...
I've tried resetting the ecu and have it relearn everything. It worked for a little then the problem returned. I have new coils and plugs and I'm at 65k miles. The injectors and walnut blast was done around 38k miles under warranty...

I'm going to get special e85 injector cleaner. I have a feeling my injectors are clogged/gummed up from the e85
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

I had issues during WOT with Cobb. changed plugs and no change. It ended up being a faulty injector.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #22
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailpersia
I had issues during WOT with Cobb. changed plugs and no change. It ended up being a faulty injector.
I didn't starte acing misfire problems until I switched back to e85 for the summer a few weeks ago. I think it gummed up my injectors. I'm going to get some ethanol fuel treatment and see if it cleans all the gum off of my injectors. It's been proven that even just one tank of e85 can cause your injectors to gum up depending on where in the country you are and where they source e85 from. I'll chime in with my results as I'm not about to spend upwards of $700 for new injectors when mine only have 30kish miles
Appreciate 0