E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

08-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #573
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
yeah when i took my car in before for the HPFP issue they said it was normal for it to take 5-7 secs to start, because the fuel pump has to regain the pressure or some BS.
totally didnt buy it.
      08-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #574
Surfacediver
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Thats total BS... ask them to show that to you on a new car on the lot...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #575
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
i just said ok.
When i talked to the SA before he said his 335i never does that.
Then when i picked up my car he said its totally normal.
I should have said something, but i didnt.
      08-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #576
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Maybe I have the coolest dealer on the planet. They replaced my fuel pump twice as soon as the car was having occasional long cranks, they retrofitted an oil cooler without question and is not updating the software until "the problems get sorted out."

Last edited by BzzzBom; 08-11-2008 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #577
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
Maybe I have the coolest dealer on the planet. They replaced my fuel pump twice as soon as the car was having occasional long cranks, they retrofitted an oild cooler without question and is not updating the software until "the problems get sorted out."
which dealer you use?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #578
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
which dealer you use?
+100000
      08-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #579
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since emails and calls to BMW don't seem to be having a lot of impact, I thought i would get a different assessment of the situation. I emailed a Lawyer in my area that specializes in consumer law and class actions to see what he thinks about all this. I gave him a brief summary f the problems and then suggested that he do a search for "bmw turbo lag' and "29.2" to see all the sites and posts about it and get more information.
I received a reply saying that he is going to look at all the info and get back to me.
I will let you know what he says.
As for me, I need to get some sleep, tomorrow I drive 5.5 hours to Plano, TX, for my Dinan Stage 2
      08-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #580
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

So this is why my exhaust is so fkn loud. I took my car in for the tire pressure monitor light coming on, and im guessing they fkn reprogrammed it. My car was loud before now its just annoying. I told my SA and he said "Oh theres a problem with your waste gate bring it in and we will fix it, its a commen problem". Still havn't taken it in... sort of likeing the louder exhaust now lol.
      08-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #581
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
which dealer you use?
South Bay
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #582
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Mine is one. No case number or something here, either.
I have a PUMA case too, but I do not know the number. I am thinking of emailing BMWNA directly about it, but I'd really like to test a non-lag car for comparison purposes before I crank up the indignity knob.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #583
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
Just got back from the dealer. They located a pre v29.2 335i on the lot. We went out in both and you all know the outcome as the pre v29.2 was like driving a rocketship. They are keeping my car overnight and were already on the phone with BMWNA when I left. I know they can not do anything until BMWNA releases an update but at least we have another case. So, all of you that are experiencing the same issue please call and schedule an appointment so this is documented. I will post more tomorrow when I hear back from them.
Can you tell us the name of your dealer and shop foreman? I'd like to put my shop foreman in touch with him, so that he can verify the issue.

I am at the point where I want some relief on the lease payment and/or an M3 for a few months as compensation for driving a lesser car than I originally bought.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #584
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
my appointment is Wed. they are comming to get my car and I am complaning of lag and long starts. I guess I wish I would have brought the car to them so I could compare a pre 29 car to mine. I guess my word is not worth it to my dealer cuz I told them that the car I test drove was fast as hell and mine is slow compared to it (the demo) Im gunna get fisted and made to like it
      08-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #585
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
Can you tell us the name of your dealer and shop foreman? I'd like to put my shop foreman in touch with him, so that he can verify the issue.

I am at the point where I want some relief on the lease payment and/or an M3 for a few months as compensation for driving a lesser car than I originally bought.
I am interested in what you say about compensation for driving a lesser car. Unfourtunaly I am more the type to walk into my dealer and grab the first service person I see and rip his head off and crap down there neck. Who would I even approach to discuss this issue. My dealer is of the type to look as dumb as they are. I dunno They had my wife's x5 for THREE FUCKING WEEKS JUST TO FIX A FUEL PUMP AND A FAULTY REAR AUTOMATIC HATCH. I swear every time I get service from them, when I get the call from BMWNA for there worthless survey, I rip them a new ass-hole. I swear to God, If I get the dumb-ass-look from them on this lag issue and "we cant simulate" my long starts, I will tell them what I intend to tell BMWNA about there service department and then rip a head off and proceed to crap down someones neck. Can you tell Im pissed as hell. 50 grand for pretty much a 325xi. With 18 inch wheels though
      08-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #586
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
So this is why my exhaust is so fkn loud. I took my car in for the tire pressure monitor light coming on, and im guessing they fkn reprogrammed it. My car was loud before now its just annoying. I told my SA and he said "Oh theres a problem with your waste gate bring it in and we will fix it, its a commen problem". Still havn't taken it in... sort of likeing the louder exhaust now lol.
PLEASE take it in! I agree, the louder exhaust can be cool, but the root cause of it is a PROBLEM!

Looking at what you posted, your dealer is coming FORWARD with admittance and a proposed sollution. HUSTLE THAT CAR IN THERE MAN!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #587
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
I am interested in what you say about compensation for driving a lesser car. Unfourtunaly I am more the type to walk into my dealer and grab the first service person I see and rip his head off and crap down there neck. Who would I even approach to discuss this issue. My dealer is of the type to look as dumb as they are. I dunno They had my wife's x5 for THREE FUCKING WEEKS JUST TO FIX A FUEL PUMP AND A FAULTY REAR AUTOMATIC HATCH. I swear every time I get service from them, when I get the call from BMWNA for there worthless survey, I rip them a new ass-hole. I swear to God, If I get the dumb-ass-look from them on this lag issue and "we cant simulate" my long starts, I will tell them what I intend to tell BMWNA about there service department and then rip a head off and proceed to crap down someones neck. Can you tell Im pissed as hell. 50 grand for pretty much a 325xi. With 18 inch wheels though
Well, if they are in such denial, can you schedule a time to take the car in and let them know they will be riding with you for a half hour or so? In that time, you should be able to get the car to show lag over and over (I forget if you have a 6MT like me, but slamming the pedal down and hearing it "clap" and then wait wait wait GO is very convincing), and also shwo your slow start if you crank it a bunch of times.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #588
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
Normally, the salesman is considered a point of escalation over the service department. If you have a good salesman....

So far, I have only briefly mentioned the issue to my salesman, but I have not pressed it. They want to sell you more cars in the future, and they CERTAINLY don't want you dragging their name through the mud with other potential buyers, so they have incentive to help you resolve issues when you've reached the limits of the the overworked service dept who just want to get you off their backs.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #589
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

So BMWNA just called me out of the blue. I went through the whole issue and the lady asked me what would it take to compensate me. I asked for my August payment to be handled and any other months when there is not a fix. I also asked to be downgraded and believe it or not she is calling my dealership to ask if they can handle this. I will believe it when I see it but I encourage all of you to send an e-mail to BMWNA with this is issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #590
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hope you guys have better luck as my car is ready to be picked up and they could not find 1 thing wrong. The service rep for NJ actually came to the dealership and they still played dumb and said it is running as expected.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #591
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
Hope you guys have better luck as my car is ready to be picked up and they could not find 1 thing wrong. The service rep for NJ actually came to the dealership and they still played dumb and said it is running as expected.
Oh no. Well, hopefully you can still get compensated. Not that that fixes the real problem. Ask for the rep's name and contact info, that way you can talk to him and find out the density of his skull...then try to explain the obvious problem in a manner he understands.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #592
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Angry Fired up

Prof3ssor's treatment got me all angry...

Sent this note to both AG and USA. Probably useless...but just venting.

"I am writing again, several months later, to convey my CONTINUED DISSAPOINTMENT and FRUSTRATION at BMW for not coming up with a simple sollution after RUINING many 335's, including mine, with the 29.2 and subsequent Progman updates that have been installed on our cars going on for numerous months now. As stated previously, this 29.2 Progman update gave the car much more turbo lag than ever existed before (while the marketing material states "turbo lag has been ELIMINATED with the 335"), and also gave the car an annoying and intrusive exhaust note, both due to the wastegates being open much more at idle and low throttle.
I am now in contact with OVER THIRTY PEOPLE who have the exact same issue and are fed up with BMW's lack of response to this situation after MONTHS and MONTHS of writing, calling, and going to our dealerships.

I'm sure you will simply respond with yet another generic reply of "We at BMW are sorry. Please contact your dealer. etc. etc." Let me tell you clearly - THE DEALERS CAN NOT HELP US BECAUSE A FIXED PROGMAN HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED! They would be HAPPY to update our cars with a fix if one existed, as they are at the point of readily acknowledging the lag and exhaust sound problem. Many of us also have open PUMA cases on the matter, and we have had our FASTA data sent to you, all of which continues to go unanswered.

I need this elevated immediately. Enough is enough and I, and the many other impacted owners, demand an actual response and an answer from BMW Corporate.

In addition, I would like a representative to call me regarding financial or vehicular compensation now that I have been driving a car performing nothing like the one I paid $47,000 for back in May of 2007. Why should I continue to make payments towards that total amount that I negotiated, when the vehicle that I am driving now is NOT THE SAME as the one that I purchased and drives nothing like it used to? As I mentioned, I would like to discuss monetary compensation, or placement into an alternate vehicle that does not exhibit the apparently (unless I hear otherwise) incurable problems that mine does, due to the Progman update to 29.2.

Thank you

- note - This will be sent to both AG and USA."

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #593
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, I actually wrote the same exact letter after I received the call from my SA. I am still awaiting a call back from BMWNA to tell me what they decided upon for compensation. I know I will not get a dime since they had the service rep for NJ go out to the dealer. I am not giving up and will write and call everyday to keep pressing the issue. Many will say I am wasting my time but someone has to do it and if you just sit back and accept the fact that you bought a 50k car and they turned it into a different animal then there is something wrong with that picture. All you have to do is just save a draft of your letter and send the thing everyday. That is what I did and finally someone called. I still can't believe that even though they found a pre v29.2 and specifically said to my face that there is a noticeable difference that when the rep for NJ came out he played it off as this is what the car is supposed to run like. Oh boy, I need to stop typing as I am getting more upset. Good luck gentleman and maybe one day this will be resolved but until then keep the calls and e-mails flowing.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #594
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

I'm pulling for you guys. Have you thought of lemon'ing the car based on BMW's inability to fix the issue? I'm not quite certain on the lemon law laws, but this may qualify.