E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Misfire Multiple Cylinders (29CC)

03-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #1
korg
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i X-Drive (N54)

Exclamation Misfire Multiple Cylinders (29CC)

Hello forum,

I know there are endless posts about the common misfire but I wanted to start my own because I'm taking in to much information from multiple sources and it's making me do circles.

I recently purchased a 335 XDrive N54 with 230k KM (143k Miles) from an auction with no vehicle history.

The car has a handful of issues but I'm focusing on the misfire right now.

I have replaced all the spark plugs using Bosch. I have not changed the coils yet- trying not to throw parts at it.

After a few code clears and test drives, I seem to be getting the following:
  • Cyl 1 Misfire (29CD)
  • Cyl 2 Misfire (29CE)
  • Multiple Cylinder Misfire (29CC)

For troubleshooting purposes, I swapped my coils from Cyl 1 & 2 with Cyl 3 & 4 to see if the fault codes follow, however, after clearing and test driving, I still got misfires on 1 and 2, along with the "multiple cylinder misfire".

I hope this isn't injectors or possibly worse. Car starts fine, intermittent rough idle sometimes on start up but settles down once the exhaust valve opens.

Car is driveable, no limp mode. Misfires intermittently on light or heavy throttles.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:

I have swapped injectors (1<>4) so see if the misfire code moves. After taking it for a test drive and reading codes, I now have cylinder 3 misfire along with with the original 1 & 2, plus the "several cylinder misfire" codes. ....

Last edited by korg; 03-09-2023 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Update to work
Appreciate 0