E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ****335i N54 general questions**** tune, exhaust, fault codes, etc thread

Closed Thread

07-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #815
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Frenetic View Post
Oh man,you know how to convince.
Ok, first will buy COBB.

With exhaust car has less chance to be stolen))
Haha well there's no point in buying mods if you can't enjoy them. If COBB's your tune of choice, it's a great time to start using it now that ATR has come out
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #816
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodleecyrb View Post
i actually think the first performane mod you buy should be an intercooler or downpipes, THEN a tune. running 14-16psi on the stock turbo's is fine and dandy, on a stock car. your turbo's lifespan will be decreased, however, with a tune-only car. with an intercooler, you'll have lower IAT's, the turbo's will run cooler. with downpipes, the less restrictive exhaust will also preserve turbo life and allow for greater efficiency.

tune-first mentality is alright for some people; i've always stressed properly preparing your car with bolt-ons ahead of time (intercooler at least)
By installing DPs on an un-tuned car, the DME will sense that the emissions are off & will trim your AFRs, which will decrease performance and can cause misfires. You'll also be forced to drive around with a SES/CEL. All the tunes (COBB, JB4, PROcede, GIAC, Dinan) run Stage 1 maps that are designed to bump up the performance without putting a damaging amount of stress on the other components of the car (turbos).

While I understand what you're saying, you're not gonna do any damage on your car unless you're running an overly aggressive tune without the required mods installed (in which case it's your own damn fault for not )
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #817
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
By installing DPs on an un-tuned car, the DME will sense that the emissions are off & will trim your AFRs, which will decrease performance and can cause misfires. You'll also be forced to drive around with a SES/CEL. All the tunes (COBB, JB4, PROcede, GIAC, Dinan) run Stage 1 maps that are designed to bump up the performance without putting a damaging amount of stress on the other components of the car (turbos).

While I understand what you're saying, you're not gonna do any damage on your car unless you're running an overly aggressive tune without the required mods installed (in which case it's your own damn fault for not )
I went with FMIC first, but I'm from Texas.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #818
Turbo Frenetic
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 335i, 2008 E92

Looks like will be better to install all together)))
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread