Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How to Adjust Wheel Size For Different Bumpers and Speedometer?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 330i

How to Adjust Wheel Size For Different Bumpers and Speedometer?

Hello, I am currently running oem size wheels and installed M3 front and rear bumpers, which leave the wheel gap even larger. VMR told me that for my car (e90 330xi sedan) can run this:

Front: 19x8.5 ET35 // 235/35/19
Rear: 19x9.5 ET45 // 265/30/19

But this doesn't account for the bumpers that enlarge the wheel gap. Also, my speedometer will be off when I change wheels, so what do you recommend I do? Is that something only a dealer can help me fix? Thank you
      04-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Uhhhmm, your wheel gap will not get any bigger because of the m3 bumpers, they will still be the same distance away from the fender. The m3 bumpers still follow the same wheel arch of your stock fenders, impossible for the gap to the wheels to get bigger.

About your speedometer, your new rim size might be bigger, but you compensate that by getting a smaller sidewall tire which keeps your overall diameter the same size as stock/previous.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
I had 19x8.5 ET +28 and 19x10 ET +30 on my 328 xi, on problem.

Tires get pretty skinny though, and I'm dodging pot holes on known bad roads with these 19".

As far as I know, the over all circumference of your new setup needs to be nearly identical to your original setup. keep circumference difference do an absolute minimal as you do have an X drive and you do not want to break your Differential. If you don't change your circumference much, then your speedo will be accurate enough. also, I don't think it's re-programmable as your speed is tied into many other carly functions.

Last edited by Pinscher; 04-09-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Okay, thank you guys. I think by wheel gap I mean width of the wheel "area"? The bumpers have a wider arch than the OEM. I wish I had a photo of before/after, but it's definitely noticeable.
      04-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
I had 19x8.5 ET +28 and 19x10 ET +30 on my 328 xi, on problem.

Tires get pretty skinny though, and I'm dodging pot holes on known bad roads with these 19".

As far as I know, the over all circumference of your new setup needs to be nearly identical to your original setup. keep circumference difference do an absolute minimal as you do have an X drive and you do not want to break your Differential. If you don't change your circumference much, then your speedo will be accurate enough. also, I don't think it's re-programmable as your speed is tied into many other carly functions.

What do you mean by breaking my differential? My original setup is pretty small and I'd definitely like to increase circumference, but I didn't know there would be issues
      04-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sKruPz View Post
What do you mean by breaking my differential? My original setup is pretty small and I'd definitely like to increase circumference, but I didn't know there would be issues

Well if the rolling distance of your rear wheels is greater than the front then the rate the differentials spin at are not in sync. Sorry for lack of technical terms here, but basically your XI will not compensate for large discrepancy, and you can basically ruin your differential or transfer case.

This is why XI come with a Square wheel/tire setup, though it's possible to go staggered, provided the rolling distance of your F to R tires is within 5% or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Front & rear bumpers won't increase the area under your wheel arches, unless you also have M3 fenders installed. Pics would help, super easy to upload to imgur and post the link here.

Since you have an XI, you will need to make sure your front & rear rolling diameters are within 3% of each other. The sizes you listed will be fine (647.1mm vs 641.6mm, 0.86% difference).

Assuming you are running the stock 18" tire sizes (225/40 and 255/35), you will only be increasing your rolling diameter by 1-1.5%, so your speedometer will read 1-1.5% slower which is negligible (100mph will read as 99mph..)
      04-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Front & rear bumpers won't increase the area under your wheel arches, unless you also have M3 fenders installed. Pics would help, super easy to upload to imgur and post the link here.

Since you have an XI, you will need to make sure your front & rear rolling diameters are within 3% of each other. The sizes you listed will be fine (647.1mm vs 641.6mm, 0.86% difference).

Assuming you are running the stock 18" tire sizes (225/40 and 255/35), you will only be increasing your rolling diameter by 1-1.5%, so your speedometer will read 1-1.5% slower which is negligible (100mph will read as 99mph..)
I will take photos and upload this weekend, I am at school so I can't right now. My stock wheels are 17x8 square with 225/45R17 sized tires. The speedometer thing seems okay then!
      04-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well if the rolling distance of your rear wheels is greater than the front then the rate the differentials spin at are not in sync. Sorry for lack of technical terms here, but basically your XI will not compensate for large discrepancy, and you can basically ruin your differential or transfer case.

This is why XI come with a Square wheel/tire setup, though it's possible to go staggered, provided the rolling distance of your F to R tires is within 5% or so.
I would go square if necessary, but I think I'd prefer a staggered setup. I'll keep them at around 3%
      04-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Here is a photo of my gigantic wheel gap. So I'd be OK with these tire sizes and maybe lowering springs?

Front: 19x8.5 ET35 // 235/35/19
Rear: 19x9.5 ET45 // 265/30/19

Last edited by sKruPz; 04-24-2019 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: add photo
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I think most people around here would advise to get a proper coil over setup and adjust to your liking. I know little about suspension, sorry .

looks like you have stock base line stuff. an upgrade will do wonders for your drive quality if those are anything like the stock i had an a 328..bouncing all over the place, socially with 19" on there.

FYI, it's outside diameter that matters, not the staggered width. I think you got that point though.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think most people around here would advise to get a proper coil over setup and adjust to your liking. I know little about suspension, sorry .

looks like you have stock base line stuff. an upgrade will do wonders for your drive quality if those are anything like the stock i had an a 328..bouncing all over the place, socially with 19" on there.

FYI, it's outside diameter that matters, not the staggered width. I think you got that point though.
Yes, I had been reading opinions of others as well as looking at some videos that advise against simply buying lowering springs. There's a member here selling a Bilstein B12 suspension kit that I'm really interested in buying. I don't want to go the cheap & easy route of just springs if the ride feels poor (much like I went the cheap route going with a muffler delete instead of a new exhaust)
      04-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I had been reading opinions of others as well as looking at some videos that advise against simply buying lowering springs. There's a member here selling a Bilstein B12 suspension kit that I'm really interested in buying. I don't want to go the cheap & easy route of just springs if the ride feels poor (much like I went the cheap route going with a muffler delete instead of a new exhaust)
The PE Exhaust mod is wonderful with the resonator delete (attached). I hear that bilstein B12 are like the best.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW PE Exhaust Mod.pdf (282.1 KB, 41 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #14
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The PE Exhaust mod is wonderful with the resonator delete (attached). I hear that bilstein B12 are like the best.
Although I believe you, there's no way I'd be able to do that myself. I am not great with car stuff & don't even have anything to cut that with!
      04-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Although I believe you, there's no way I'd be able to do that myself. I am not great with car stuff & don't even have anything to cut that with!
I'm mechanically inclined which I understand isn't the same for all people, and buying the tool is more often cheaper than paying someone to do the work. I actually paid an american to do my mod since he has done it a bunch of times already and I currently have zero welding skills.

Though, It really helps to have a house where you can do all this stuff.

From there it's a matter of just being handy in that way. some are, some are not. Anyone with welding skills can do the exhaust mod, on problem. it's pretty straight forward welding. Grinders are easily found at a pawn shop.

Anyways, you get the point, good luck with your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
sKruPz
Man Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm mechanically inclined which I understand isn't the same for all people, and buying the tool is more often cheaper than paying someone to do the work. I actually paid an american to do my mod since he has done it a bunch of times already and I currently have zero welding skills.

From there it's a matter of just being handy in that way. some are, some are not. Anyone with welding skills can do the exhaust mod, on problem. it's pretty straight forward welding. Grinders are easily found at a pawn shop.

Thank you. I'm definitely going with the B12 kit, which means I won't have to buy lowering springs as well, correct? Just not sure on wheel size still
      05-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

Lmao I just bought a welder and grinder at x mas for 2nd cat delete and possibly mod the muffler box.

Holy shit welding learning curve is pretty steep uh haha! It's a MIG gasless wire.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #18
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Lmao I just bought a welder and grinder at x mas for 2nd cat delete and possibly mod the muffler box.

Holy shit welding learning curve is pretty steep uh haha! It's a MIG gasless wire.
What were you going to mod in the 335is mufflers? As far as I know, the popular muffler mods are for the stock 335 exhausts.
      05-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #19
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Technically not MIG if its gasless, but I know what you mean. Flux core wire mig welding is harder than actual MIG welding(with gas) in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
What were you going to mod in the 335is mufflers? As far as I know, the popular muffler mods are for the stock 335 exhausts.
From my understanding the 335is muffler box was between PE and stock.

But what I wanted to possibly do was straight pipe the left side and have the valve be remote control so I can choose if I want it super loud or normal. But I don't think I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Technically not MIG if its gasless, but I know what you mean. Flux core wire mig welding is harder than actual MIG welding(with gas) in my opinion.
Right, gas less flux core. Yeah it's not easy! But I think I'm getting the hang of it. I need to practice on stainless steel now.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #21
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From my understanding the 335is muffler box was between PE and stock.

But what I wanted to possibly do was straight pipe the left side and have the valve be remote control so I can choose if I want it super loud or normal. But I don't think I'll do that.

Right, gas less flux core. Yeah it's not easy! But I think I'm getting the hang of it. I need to practice on stainless steel now.
Stainless is even harder because it takes a lot more heat to weld it, and you have to watch the puddle a lot more. Make sure you have the right wire also for stainless, although you CAN use regular it will rust at the weld.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Stainless is even harder because it takes a lot more heat to weld it, and you have to watch the puddle a lot more. Make sure you have the right wire also for stainless, although you CAN use regular it will rust at the weld.
Yeah I've been told though if you then use paint over it should be fine and avoid rusting?

Is there a wire I can just buy that won't rust at all?
Appreciate 0