E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Stupid Question - Angel Eyes Out - "Dealership is claiming..."

02-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335i

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Stupid Question - Angel Eyes Out - "Dealership is claiming..."

Both Angel Eyes on my drivers side are out and I brought it to the dealership I bought it from. 2009 E92 n54 335i. They are claiming I need to replace the whole headlight unit?

I have 3 months of bulbs covered(because I purchased there), so should I just tell them that I want the H8 35W halogen bulbs from below and I'll do it myself? or should I tell them that I want them to go ahead with replacing the whole headlight unit. FYI: No cost to me- I'm just worried they are gonna replace it with a non-xenon assembly or something cause they obviously don't know what they're talking about...

This is what I've found by searching this forum:

"For the coupes, you can easily swap out your angel eyes because they are just H8 35 watt halogen bulbs. This is done simply by accessing the headlight under the hood; you do not need to remove your fender liners. Your owner's manual outlines this procedure (look under maintenance/replacing components)."
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

"Both Angel Eyes on my drivers side are out", no offense, but this leads me to believe that you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. Both "rings" in each headlight are illuminated by a single bulb. As to wether or not you need a new headlight, that really depends on what is actually wrong with it. The glass ring, itself, could actually be broken and you may actually need to replace it...which means new headlight.
Appreciate 1
zstreet86116.00
      02-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
"Both Angel Eyes on my drivers side are out", no offense, but this leads me to believe that you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. Both "rings" in each headlight are illuminated by a single bulb. As to wether or not you need a new headlight, that really depends on what is actually wrong with it. The glass ring, itself, could actually be broken and you may actually need to replace it...which means new headlight.
That definitely could be(I'm a newb, hence the "stupid question" in title). This is exactly the type of info that I need, thank you.

I just assumed two halos would be two bulbs- but still- wouldn't it just be the one bulb?

They refuse to "diagnose it". they are just assuming to replace the whole headlight - is that standard?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Is it standard for a dealer to want to milk every last dollar out of you? YES!.

As for the bulb, yes, it's one angel eye bulb per headlight. The angel eyes are a formed piece of glass tube in the shape of 2 rings. It's not super common, but they have been known to break, and it could have broken in an area that is not easily seen from the outside of the headlight. With that said, if they aren't willing to diagnose it...first of all you should contact BMW NA Corporate. Second, take it to an indy shop if you're not willing/able to check the bulb yourself...but find a reputable indy in your area that knows BMWs, don't just go to Pep Boys.

EDIT: Wait, something doesn't quite jive here...they don't want to diagnose it, but are willing to eat the cost of replacement headlight for what could just be a bulb? This makes no sense. Are you sure this is the whole story?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Is it standard for a dealer to want to milk every last dollar out of you? YES!.

As for the bulb, yes, it's one angel eye bulb per headlight. The angel eyes are a formed piece of glass tube in the shape of 2 rings. It's not super common, but they have been known to break, and it could have broken in an area that is not easily seen from the outside of the headlight. With that said, if they aren't willing to diagnose it...first of all you should contact BMW NA Corporate. Second, take it to an indy shop if you're not willing/able to check the bulb yourself...but find a reputable indy in your area that knows BMWs, don't just go to Pep Boys.

EDIT: Wait, something doesn't quite jive here...they don't want to diagnose it, but are willing to eat the cost of replacement headlight for what could just be a bulb? This makes no sense. Are you sure this is the whole story?
Yeah something sounds off... unless this dealer is trying to milk a 3rd party warranty

To the OP, take a picture of the headlight in question, maybe one of us can see if the rings or anything else is damaged that would make replacement of the whole headlight legit.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Yeah something sounds off... unless this dealer is trying to milk a 3rd party warranty

To the OP, take a picture of the headlight in question, maybe one of us can see if the rings or anything else is damaged that would make replacement of the whole headlight legit.
I will work on a picture for you during the day tomorrow - though, I don't see anything broken or out of place. Not a factory warranty, this is just a bad dealership 3 month's "Peace of Mind" warranty.

I'm dealing with a parts guy mostly. service is a joke- either too busy to look at my car or just don't care about their customers- not sure.(Edit: Also talked to the Used car manager about this situation and they say they are working to resolve it) I don't think they see me as a paying customer, even though I just purchased a vehicle from them.

Nobody has ever looked at my car.

I have told all three of the people I work with there(more than once) that my halos are out on drivers side and they said "it's gonna be some time we're gonna have to work on finding a whole headlight". Seems sketch to me too- that's why I asked you guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerlover2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post

I will work on a picture for you during the day tomorrow - though, I don't see anything broken or out of place. Not a factory warranty, this is just a bad dealership 3 month's "Peace of Mind" warranty.

I'm dealing with a parts guy mostly. service is a joke- either too busy to look at my car or just don't care about their customers- not sure.(Edit: Also talked to the Used car manager about this situation and they say they are working to resolve it) I don't think they see me as a paying customer, even though I just purchased a vehicle from them.

Nobody has ever looked at my car.

I have told all three of the people I work with there(more than once) that my halos are out on drivers side and they said "it's gonna be some time we're gonna have to work on finding a whole headlight". Seems sketch to me too- that's why I asked you guys.
Sounds sketchy to me... are you comfortable changing the bulb?

If you are this is a $20 fix... or you can spend $200 and buy some decent led upgrades like the lux h8 180's. There are an ton of diy threads on it, it's super easy.

If you aren't comfortable changing the bulb then just go to an reputable Indy shop and bring them the bulbs you want put it, it should be less than an hours labor.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Replacing the bulb is fairly inexpensive and not too hard to do. You can even go aftermarket and have an overall aesthetic improvement for a little more.

Not sure if we are getting half the story or if the dealer is playing games. Who knows. As other people have stated sometimes they just try to milk people. If you're not comfortable working on the vehicle consider getting a second opinion from an independent mechanic.

Otherwise the bulb is fairly easy to change and you should just try that. It would be a minimal loss if it didnt work IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
Nightmare38oh1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This story also sounds off to me. The dealer is probably just biding their time till they are past the 3 months and then say oh well it’s on you. Anyways-

I recently had this same issue. Someone above mentioned the halo rings can break... as rare as it sounds mine did. I wish I had taken a picture. But I pulled the entire headlight out and completely disassembled the headlight as much as I could to source my problem.

Knowing what I know now- if BOTH your halos are out, it’s gonna be the bulb 90%. Also from what I know it’s even more rare for both rings to break. It’s either one or the other. (Usually the outter).

Just get you some nicer bulbs like the lux kit. If it does end up being the rings and you need a new assembly- well at least when you get that you have the better bulbs for your new assembly anyways. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:21 PM   #10
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare38oh1 View Post
This story also sounds off to me. The dealer is probably just biding their time till they are past the 3 months and then say oh well it’s on you. Anyways-

I recently had this same issue. Someone above mentioned the halo rings can break... as rare as it sounds mine did. I wish I had taken a picture. But I pulled the entire headlight out and completely disassembled the headlight as much as I could to source my problem.

Knowing what I know now- if BOTH your halos are out, it’s gonna be the bulb 90%. Also from what I know it’s even more rare for both rings to break. It’s either one or the other. (Usually the outter).

Just get you some nicer bulbs like the lux kit. If it does end up being the rings and you need a new assembly- well at least when you get that you have the better bulbs for your new assembly anyways. Best of luck.
That's what I was thinking about the 3 month "warranty".
Oh well, guess I'll just look for some decent LEDs.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0