E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Denison install e92 glovebox

04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #23
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

OGS - I can't see why that isn't possible, might be a bit more of a pain and require a little bit more of the dash to come out but shouldn't be difficult. There's enough space behind the dash to run a cable to the other side (if your dension is going in the glovebox area)
You'd need to put a little a hole in the cubby hole on the drives side to push the cable thru but you'd never see it anyway.

Quite like the idea of this actually

Might run my iphone cable to centre armrest and run another to the cubby hole and add a hard drive.

Hmmmmm, food for thought.

Will this draw too much power if using a usb powered hard drive?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
EhFit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'V' View Post
OGS - I can't see why that isn't possible, might be a bit more of a pain and require a little bit more of the dash to come out but shouldn't be difficult. There's enough space behind the dash to run a cable to the other side (if your dension is going in the glovebox area)
You'd need to put a little a hole in the cubby hole on the drives side to push the cable thru but you'd never see it anyway.

Quite like the idea of this actually

Might run my iphone cable to centre armrest and run another to the cubby hole and add a hard drive.

Hmmmmm, food for thought.

Will this draw too much power if using a usb powered hard drive?
I wouldn't think so, I used a USB HDD for a while but sacked it off in the end for a USB stick. Once you have lots of albums on it can be a pain.

Be aware though that browsing USB devices and browsing iOS devices are totally different experiences.

I use the iPhone for 95% of music because it allows you to have proper playlists and tracks display in the correct order.
Your folder structures and naming conventions will need to be spot on with the USB connected devices. With USB devices you won't be able to play DRM content from the iTunes store (I have no experience with other stores), however these play perfectly with the iPhone.

You will see the difference for yourself, but it is far less work and a whole lot easier to use iOS devices.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #25
'V'
Captain
Rep

Thanks for that Ehfit, did have a feeling a HDD would be different - I've come across that problem several times with other devices (not car related)

Still might run that 2nd usb cable just so I have another free just in case
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 05:39 AM   #26
'V'
Captain
Rep

Still haven't got round to doing this install yet, guess I'll be doing it Easter weekend - missis allowing!!!
Anyway, I got hold of a usb/aux socket from a forum member (creativ101, thanks fella) found a 3m usb extension, did a little butchering of the usb socket (took less than 1 minute to strip the thing - cause it's really well made!) and fitted the usb extension.
So now I will have an OEM look in the enter armrest with usb supplied by the dension - very simple and I think will be very effective.
Now I just need to figure out how to pull the old aux socket out, anyone got any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:47 AM   #27
karlp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SE

Hey guys, having a bit of trouble with my Dension 500, all installed and coded but when I have the dension in normal mode it freezes my idrive up :/ and when I start it in service mode it throws up the SOS call error and no bluetooth, its all wired in correctly and has been coded but the CD option on idrive is still greyed out should this be accessible to select the dension/ipod devices? I didnt have a cd changer so just checking what other people have DIP switches set to, could this cause the issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #28
'V'
Captain
Rep

Sounds like the dip switches are wrong to me. What have you got set?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #29
karlp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'V' View Post
Sounds like the dip switches are wrong to me. What have you got set?
Hi there D U D D D U as per the instructions, mine a a non cdc.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #30
karlp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Would the CD option be still greyed out though?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #31
terminator2k2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

hi there, I got this from autologic:

but I would check dip switches first.

you got : D U D D D U = non text cable E65, E66 Non Idrive - 4 according to densions instructions.

try : D U U U D U = Bmw E90 , E91 , E92 , E93 with Idrive

When installation and retrofit of the Dension is complete, remove Autologic and continue to initialise the
Gateway 500 as follows:
1. Connect iPod or USB memory stick.
Note: In either device there must be MP3 files available for selection.
2. Turn on the ignition
3. Select Entertainment followed by CD in the Central Information Display
4. Press the CON controller down
5. Select CD 5
6. Select Root
7. Scroll down menu and select iPod GW
8. After selecting iPod GW, the iPod menu is now available for selection Artists Songs etc.
Note: If using the USB memory stick option when selecting CD 5, the MP3 song menu will be displayed
and ready for selection.
9. After checking installation is correct and GW500 is operating correctly, fit the supplied grommet
around cables when re-installing glove compartment – See Fig 29
10. Replace all trims removed earlier, in reverse order
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #32
danzo_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I SE COUPE

Guys I have brought a Denison gateway 500 last year and went about fitting it this week, has everyone on this thread had the car coded by a autologic agent?

Also can some one advise how I need to make the fibre optic wiring under the glove box so its plug and play

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #33
'V'
Captain
Rep

Karlp - has the coding been done properly? If the cd option is still greyed out something ain't right. I'll check my dip switches tomorrow (mine was/is also a non CDC)

Danzo-m - yep! Well, I did anyway. Took all of 5 mins and cost all of £20 or something
Have you got a cd changer in the glovebox?
If yes, there's a million DIY 'how to's" on google - some very detailed -step by step!
If not, do you have cd changer prep? (Ie) the wiring for a changer already in place?

Certainly wasn't a difficult install
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
danzo_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I SE COUPE

I don't have a CD changer in the car but I do have the CD changer prep wiring in the boot of the car.

Appreciate 0