E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > change turbos when doing oil pan gasket?

09-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #67
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
According to vehicular diy the rod bearings on the N54 s65 have really tight clearances. The king bearings, that are STD, are set for .002. This gives slightly more clearance for thicker oil like 5w-40, which is probably better to run on a tuned engine IMO. More HP = more heat. A thicker oil will stand up better to higher heat. I believe the OEM clearance is .001.
Correct. They do have different tolerances. So IMO, it’s cheap insurance further down the road anyways. Allows for more room for error. People will bitch about this relentlessly forever. There’s no convincing everyone. Some people will have issues, some won’t. That doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #68
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Quote:
I'm running Mishimoto on the high side. I know, I know I should be running BMS on the high side. I didn't know that when I bought it 3-4 years ago. I bought it for efficiency. It hooks up right near the front of the engine. So, you don't have to take the cowl off to get to it. That's why I bought it. I didn't know that the Mishimoto filter is really fine vs BMS.
Dude I don't blame you at all these dam occ's can get confusing, I thought Turner had a great solution by plugging the pcv and deleting the flapper valve but my spidey senses are tingling and the more I read looks like that is NOT a good idea for a dd.... maybe for a track car. I just ordered RB's external kit and Mishimoto can and will convert the Turner can to high side
Let us know how the DIY goes. Maybe snap some pics. I think what makes a catch can used on high or low side depends on the filter. So, is the filter in the turner catch can similar to the one BMS sells?

Note: you can now buy the BMS can by itself on their website.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #69
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trb1 View Post
Quote:
According to vehicular diy the rod bearings on the N54 s65 have really tight clearances. The king bearings, that are STD, are set for .002. This gives slightly more clearance for thicker oil like 5w-40, which is probably better to run on a tuned engine IMO. More HP = more heat. A thicker oil will stand up better to higher heat. I believe the OEM clearance is .001.
Correct. They do have different tolerances. So IMO, it's cheap insurance further down the road anyways. Allows for more room for error. People will bitch about this relentlessly forever. There's no convincing everyone. Some people will have issues, some won't. That doesn't mean it isn't an issue on this platform.
I'm curious myself. I used 15k intervals up until a couple of years ago when I installed my tune. Now I use 7500 miles.

I always did an oil flush & always changed the filter out 1/2 through when doing the 15k intervals. I've always used Amsoil 5w-40

Now, I just do the oil flush. The filter is good for 7500 miles.

The car runs very well. Who knows. Time will tell when I pull that first cap off.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #70
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Let us know how the DIY goes. Maybe snap some pics. I think what makes a catch can used on high or low side depends on the filter. So, is the filter in the turner catch can similar to the one BMS sells?

Note: you can now buy the BMS can by itself on their website.
I sure will, I'll update the Turner OCC thread I started with results. I wasn't planning on doing the head port taps but the more time goes on the more I consider just ordering a new valve cover and gasket and getting it done right and outta the way for good. Not sure still cuz the gasket is holding strong right now, but I did just get a carbon blast...

Ya that's how it was explained to me, the Mishimoto can is 50 micron it says, which is a fine filter best for lower flow conditions whereas the BMS was intended for high flow on the high side. So the BMS can says it is double baffled, which you can see it under the cap. The Turner/ECS can is single baffled as it is all contained on the top portion, it says it is quad chambered which I'm not sure how the BMS can is. I would say the Turner can is for high flow for sure though.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...an-for-n54-bmw

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...dk/?pdk=AAAGAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb1 View Post
Correct. They do have different tolerances. So IMO, it’s cheap insurance further down the road anyways. Allows for more room for error. People will bitch about this relentlessly forever. There’s no convincing everyone. Some people will have issues, some won’t. That doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue on this platform.
Knowing those tolerances is really nice, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside . I like some empirical data along with anecdotal if that's fair, and knowing it's down to .001" (I'm assuming inches) I would gladly swap out to the King .002" in time. We use .002" tolerance in my industry with balanced parts etc and a large amount of shrink with differing materials instead of expansion. I was never denying just wanted more details, thank you.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete

Last edited by BSM n54iS; 09-01-2020 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #71
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Knowing those tolerances is really nice, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside . I like some empirical data along with anecdotal if that's fair, and knowing it's down to .001" (I'm assuming inches) I would gladly swap out to the King .002" in time. We use .002" tolerance in my industry with balanced parts etc and a large amount of shrink with differing materials instead of expansion. I was never denying just wanted more details, thank you.
Here's a pretty cool PDF that king has posted:

https://www.kingbearings.com/wp-cont...tency-aera.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #72
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
After you change the rod bearings and start it up, how long would you wait to change the oil? I'm thinking the assembly lube will change the consistency of the oil. Much like you you have a "break in" oil on some cars. So, when you first buy the car, you change the oil at 1500 miles or something like that, and then you proceed to regular oil change intervals.

On a side note, I found a way to change the CBS oil change Interval in the display menu using tools32.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #73
B6T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i 6-speed

Quote:
Why on mt?
High load + low RPM is what is hardest on the bottom end. With an automatic, that decision is out of the hands of the driver, since the transmission will naturally downshift to the higher gear during typical high load scenarios. That's my theory on it at least.

Also, I'm pretty sure I toasted my #5 rod bearing because I was coming out of the corners on a lapping at at ~2300rpm on a stage 2+ map.

Quote:
I'm thinking about doing the rod bearings. RB & I had a long conversation about it. He said to definitely plasti-gauge everyone of them. He also said to pull one cap off or two and see if there is excessive wear. You'd of course have to put new bolts up, if you did that. RB was of the opinion that one should look at their oil pressure, and if it was fine to leave well enough alone if pulling off a cap or two revealed little or no wear.
If you're going to go to all the effort of pulling one or two caps off to check... why wouldn't you just replace all the bearings? There is enough evidence to prove that these bearings are an issue in the N54. What happens if you don't check the badly-worn bearing in your partial inspection? IDK, seems like a waste of time to me to NOT change them. Getting to the bearings is like 90% of the work.

Oil pressure fluctuation is a good idea to track worn bearings, but differences in oil pressure can be from multiple factors, and a driver would probably become used to the fluctuation from those factors and oblivious to a change resultant from a bearing issue.

Last edited by B6T; 09-21-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 12:15 AM   #74
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I'm in the process of putting in new Turbos. I bought Rob Beck OEM Billets.

I figured while I was in there, I might as well do the Rod Bearings being that I'm at 178,000 miles.

I just did my rod bearings today. I bought King Pin CR222SV Standard, the new updated rod bolts for the N54 & used Red Line Synthetic assembly lube.

On the pic of the Rod Bolt, the one to the left is the updated bolt.

I did plastigauge for every cylinder. Every one came out to .002. I'm pretty sure that's what they should spec out too... 🧐

I used 20nm then did 70 degrees, waited a minute and then did another 70 degrees, for torque specs.

I got those torque specs from TIS & Vehicular DIY.

The oil pan gasket I sandwiched the OEM gasket between two beads of Ultra Black and torqued all the small bolts to 8nm + 60 degrees, large bolts 8nm + 180 & the 3 steel bolts that pull the oil pan to the transmission 14#. This is all per Bentley Repair Manual.

The journals were perfect from what I could tell. Mirror like finish w/ no scratches. The rod bearings have seen better days. No copper showing, but you could absolutely run your finger nail across them and pic up resistance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #75
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Every time I see a changed my rod bearings thread.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #76
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post

Better that than eating popcorn and ending up changing the entire engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #77
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Quote:

My point incase you missed it is that this might just turn into a replacing my entire engine thread.

Even the guy that he got his torque specs from, had his engine blow after he swapped the bearings....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:29 PM   #78
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My point incase you missed it is that this might just turn into a replacing my entire engine thread.

Even the guy that he got his torque specs from, had his engine blow after he swapped the bearings....
Idk how many miles he had on the new bearings before he went WOT. I know he changed his oil out right away. I don't think he wanted the break in grease in his oil. Not sure why? I know he said he didn't have the oil properly warmed up to 170 before he went WOT. In my engine, every single cylinder was at .002, which is what it's supposed to be according to King Pin.

Honestly, I'm gonna wait about 1000 miles or so and change the oil out. I'm going to try and keep it below 3500 rpm's for at least 500 miles or so. I'm not saying Vehicular DIY didn't do that. It's just what I'm going to do.
Appreciate 1
SlimE92185.50
      01-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #79
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Idk how many miles he had on the new bearings before he went WOT. I know he changed his oil out right away. I don't think he wanted the break in grease in his oil. Not sure why? I know he said he didn't have the oil properly warmed up to 170 before he went WOT. In my engine, every single cylinder was at .002, which is what it's supposed to be according to King Pin.

Honestly, I'm gonna wait about 1000 miles or so and change the oil out. I'm going to try and keep it below 3500 rpm's for at least 500 miles or so. I'm not saying Vehicular DIY didn't do that. It's just what I'm going to do.
He'll tell you that's not what he did though
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #80
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After I did my turbos and rod bearings, I went threw 3 tanks of gas before changing the oil. But then again after my first tank of gas, I preformed a custom tune on my car with a few WOT pulls to dial it in. No issues and the car runs strong.
      01-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #81
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After I did my turbos and rod bearings, I went threw 3 tanks of gas before changing the oil. But then again after my first tank of gas, I preformed a custom tune on my car with a few WOT pulls to dial it in. No issues and the car runs strong.
3 tanks of gas = 1000 miles roughly speaking 😉
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 05:59 AM   #82
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

Vehicular DIY engine blew up because of user error, he mentioned it was most likely because he was ripping it when the engine was cold.

Where did you get the idea, he blew it up by changing rod bearings? 🤦
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50