E90Post
 


Extreme Powerhouse
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How to start diagnosing smoking issue?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
909
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

How to start diagnosing smoking issue?

My car started smoking oil and at first I thought rip turbos but it seems a lot of things could cause smoking issue right?

My smoking randomly occurs when cruising and arriving at a stop light, sometimes I will smell a whiff or see smoke sometimes nothing. When I floor it it will usually smoke as well.

PCV valve, valve cover gasket could both of these cause this?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
akuenn
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: vista

iTrader: (0)

I get smoke from mine sometimes when the oil temp starts going up when warming it up or at idle and stopped. Once the oil temp is around 210 or higher it never happens. Have you checked your valve cover gasket?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:34 AM   #3
335xirookie
New Member
335xirookie's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 08 335xi E92
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: 06010

iTrader: (0)

valve cover gasket IMO...Just did mine...Replace the whole valve cover for best results.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
909
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuenn View Post
I get smoke from mine sometimes when the oil temp starts going up when warming it up or at idle and stopped. Once the oil temp is around 210 or higher it never happens. Have you checked your valve cover gasket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xirookie View Post
valve cover gasket IMO...Just did mine...Replace the whole valve cover for best results.
Thanks for the re-assurance. Definitely plan on doing the valve cover to when I get there and PCV but before I get there is there a way to daignose more? When I did spark plgus a few thousand KM ago noticed small oil in 4th plug tube so VGC might be soon.

But yeah that said, any additional diagnosing to be done? I noticed my smoking occurs when I floor it and also sometimes cruising then coming to a stop. A little bit on startup to. This means my smoking is under vacuum AND under boost right?

And the N54 does have a normal PCV valve that can go bad right and allow extra oil into the intake?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
tisdrew
Second Lieutenant
64
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
And the N54 does have a normal PCV valve that can go bad right and allow extra oil into the intake?
The n54 has 2 PCV valves, I wouldn't necessarily call the system itself normal as there are dedicated always-open ports in the head that will "drain" into the intake runners/relieve the positive crank pressures.

This sticky has pdfs with diagrams and an overview of the PCV system as a whole:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856
__________________
"Wheels and exhaust aren't a build"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
909
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
The n54 has 2 PCV valves, I wouldn't necessarily call the system itself normal as there are dedicated always-open ports in the head that will "drain" into the intake runners/relieve the positive crank pressures.

This sticky has pdfs with diagrams and an overview of the PCV system as a whole:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856
I've tried to understand but it always mind fucks me. I'll give a another re-read tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
b92
Captain
b92's Avatar
United_States
279
Rep
750
Posts

Drives: E92 335is, 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Rhode Island

iTrader: (2)

Welcome to the club brotha. I start noticing excess smoke after going fully catless, so it's most likely been going on for a while but was concealed. I know my VC is leaking, I had oil on spark plug 3 or 4 too.

I plan on replacing the VC+VCG as well as convert to an external PCV.
__________________
2011 E92 335is, Space Grey/Coral Red, 6MT.
Mod list for diagnostic purposes: JB4+MHD BEF, 17psi. BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Street FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DPs. NGK plugs gapped 0.022", Delphi S55 coils. 93 octane unless noted otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
909
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
The n54 has 2 PCV valves, I wouldn't necessarily call the system itself normal as there are dedicated always-open ports in the head that will "drain" into the intake runners/relieve the positive crank pressures.

This sticky has pdfs with diagrams and an overview of the PCV system as a whole:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856
Ok I took a read! Considering there is 2 PCV valves then I think and whole valvecover replacement would be best instead of just getting rob beck PCV.

But that said, what more diagnosis can I do as I do not want to throw parts at it. In the PDF, it does say:

"Be aware that any check valve failure could cause excessive oil consumption possibly accompanied by blue smoke from the exhaust. This
should not be mistaken for a failed turbocharger. Always perform a complete diagnosis ofthe crankcase ventilation system, before replacing
any turbocharger or associated components."

Searching in TIS, I cannot find any PCV diagnosis instructions. Also, a side question, is the reason why N54 get gummed up easily by oil is because the cylcone extractor work poorly?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
Sgop335
Lieutenant Colonel
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
476
Rep
1,763
Posts

Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Ok I took a read! Considering there is 2 PCV valves then I think and whole valvecover replacement would be best instead of just getting rob beck PCV.



Also, a side question, is the reason why N54 get gummed up easily by oil is because the cylcone extractor work poorly?
Yes correct. By n54 you mean the intake valves.

The price of a new VC compared to rb valve is vastly different. What is it like 400 to 40? Most ppl (I think) only replace the gasket instead of the vc, which is cheap (for parts). Unless the VC is surely cracked or something.

A new VC does not include 2 pcv valves. It includes only one, which is referred to as the check valve (that RB valve replaces). I actually like the RB valve for its check valve operation (doesn't leak) but you want to get the one with the oring (not the one with the silly grommet).
__________________
Space grau metallic / Dakota red leather
420whp 335i (0-60 3.8s), 535i 4.1s
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
909
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Yes correct. By n54 you mean the intake valves.

The price of a new VC compared to rb valve is vastly different. What is it like 400 to 40? Most ppl (I think) only replace the gasket instead of the vc, which is cheap (for parts). Unless the VC is surely cracked or something.

A new VC does not include 2 pcv valves. It includes only one, which is referred to as the check valve (that RB valve replaces). I actually like the RB valve for its check valve operation (doesn't leak) but you want to get the one with the oring (not the one with the silly grommet).
Correct 40$ vs ~ 400$ but my point is IF my VCG is leaking, might as well get a whole cover because it comes with the gaskets, removes any hairline crack cause/issue if there is any, and if the cyclone extractors are clogged as well I suppose it could affect something? So a new one would all be clean. Although I'm only at 72k miles

Based on the PDF, there is 2 check valves (PCV). One used in the pathway under boost and another one used in the pathway for when there is no boost (vacuum). So what I'm saying is what if my issue is the PCV for vacuum operation that is broke? I suppose because vacuum is involved that one isn't under as much stress and basically never breaks?

I may do a second inspections to assess how bad the valve cover gasket leak actually is.

I don't want to blow out any main seals either... also something that I don't know if might be related I now have a "supercharger whine" when I floor it under boost, maybe this could indicate pcv system is not working properly and pressure builds up?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
909
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Bump anyone has insight on diagnosing CCV system on a N54?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST