E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > My E92 335i log

07-31-2022, 07:29 AM   #133
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Week 3 done and the flare/filler templates for the LHS rear quarter were sorted out. RHS quarter has also been stripped to bare metal. The process with making up the RHS flare/filler pieces should be a fair bit quicker, as we now have a working template that simply needs to be mirrored.

I went to check out progress yesterday and these photos do zero justice. I was absolutely floored with what Dylan from Committed Composites did so far. The custom bumper looks flawless and would pass off as something that BMW made from factory, and the quarters look awesome. While I was initially very hesitant about the job and took a "just send it" attitude, seeing it in the flesh has quelled all doubt and I am very happy with the way things are going.

Dylan has former experience working at a bodyshop that focussed on custom panel/paint, and currently works at a BMW accredited shop. He is an artist, has a proper understanding of my vision for the car and is a proper BMW nut - the guy knows his way around late-model BMW's in particular.

He ended up attacking the rear quarters with a different method to that described in page 5, such that they can be filled and rust-proofed properly using the same method BMW uses from factory, and utilises 3 larger pieces of metal that are cut and hammered/dollied to shape, rather than a higher number of small metal plates which are then hammered and welded.

The custom M3 rear bumper, side skirts and inner guard liners all bolt on like they should from factory

Next step is to weld the LHS quarter together and then fill the inner quarter panel cavitied by accessing them from the cabin.

Once that's done, filler will be applied to the metal and things will be smoothed out so the panel has smooth contours and lines up flush with the rear bumper/side skirts, and retains appropriate panel gaps.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 1
shannon1573.50
      08-08-2022, 12:38 AM   #134
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Another week has passed and we've made some more progress.

LHS flare all prepared and painted/coated on the inside. Ready for welding.

Made a lot of progress with the RHS. Just needs some minor work - should have everything welded on by the end of next Saturday. Then onto smoothing and prepwork.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails

Last edited by jzx_andy; 08-13-2022 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: pics disappeared!
Appreciate 1
shannon1573.50
      08-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #135
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Week 5 done and some great progress. Both quarter panel flares have been fabbed, welded, smoothed out and coated. The most tedious and trial/error part of the job is complete.

Now onto filling the inside cavities and smoothing/prepping the exterior skins. Have been told the car will be ready for collection in early September, can't wait to have her back and rip into everything else.
Appreciate 1
shannon1573.50